Entry Level Hi-Fi System

Menon

Hi,

I am Rajendran Menon from Cochin.

I am trying to put together a 'reasonably good', entry level Hi-Fi system. We at home mostly hear music and watch movies once in a while. So initially I thought of going in for a good AV Receiver. But when I heard music through one of the medium level AVR, I was disappointed. The sound was terrible. So I have decided to go in for a good two-channel stereo system.

I am new to this forum, but has read many of the similar requests and their answers. What I would like to have is an un-biased opinion.

My requirements are as under.

1. We listen to music ranging from old and new Hindi songs, English classics like Beethoven, and instrumental like Kenny G, Vivaldi and others like Bonny M and the likes of Link in park etc.
2. I do not like my sound to be bass heavy. In fact, I like the high end to be a bit enhanced and must be crisp, clear and refined.
3. I do not play at high volumes. So even at low volumes, the sound should be refined.
4. There should be reasonably good sound stage and depth.

I have been to couple of dealers and they have suggested various combinations. Since the choices available are too many, I am confused and would like to have your valuable comments and suggestions.

One suggested combination is Marantz Amp + Marantz CD + Mordant Short 906 i speakers.
Another one is Cambridge Audio Amp + Marantz CD + Mission Speakers

Has anybody got experience with Yamaha Amps ? AX-497 seems to be a very good amp. How about the Sonodyne amp ?

In the forums, I have seen constant mention to NAD amps.

As for the speakers, I feel that MS 906 i is a good pair. I have heard the 904 i and I liked the sound.

My budget is around 50 K.

I am not keen to buy used items.

Thanks and Regards

Rajendran Menon

Hi,

I am Rajendran Menon from Cochin.

I am trying to put together a 'reasonably good', entry level Hi-Fi system. We at home mostly hear music and watch movies once in a while. So initially I thought of going in for a good AV Receiver. But when I heard music through one of the medium level AVR, I was disappointed. The sound was terrible. So I have decided to go in for a good two-channel stereo system.

I am new to this forum, but has read many of the similar requests and their answers. What I would like to have is an un-biased opinion.

My requirements are as under.

1. We listen to music ranging from old and new Hindi songs, English classics like Beethoven, and instrumental like Kenny G, Vivaldi and others like Bonny M and the likes of Link in park etc.
2. I do not like my sound to be bass heavy. In fact, I like the high end to be a bit enhanced and must be crisp, clear and refined.
3. I do not play at high volumes. So even at low volumes, the sound should be refined.
4. There should be reasonably good sound stage and depth.

I have been to couple of dealers and they have suggested various combinations. Since the choices available are too many, I am confused and would like to have your valuable comments and suggestions.

One suggested combination is Marantz Amp + Marantz CD + Mordant Short 906 i speakers.
Another one is Cambridge Audio Amp + Marantz CD + Mission Speakers

Has anybody got experience with Yamaha Amps ? AX-497 seems to be a very good amp. How about the Sonodyne amp ?

In the forums, I have seen constant mention to NAD amps.

As for the speakers, I feel that MS 906 i is a good pair. I have heard the 904 i and I liked the sound.

My budget is around 50 K.

I am not keen to buy used items.

Thanks and Regards

Rajendran Menon

Hi Rajendra,
Used allows u to buy much better than 50K will buy u so dont rule it out. Most people take good care of their HIFI and with most budget components having at best a 1 year warranty u are not missing much.
A marantz cdp is a super choice. I guess u will opt for either 5001 or 6002.
For an amp either a marantz or Nad integrated would be fine.
Speakers options are unlimited and very varied so its best to audition a few of the usual suspects and go with the sound that appeals to u. Monitor Audio,M short,Quad and the likes do have speakers in the budget range.
The Yamaha u mention is a well built amp but lacks tonality IMO and hence not suggested often on the forum and secondly the competetion in this price range has moved up a gear.
Also remember to spend at least 5K on cabling to get the best out of ur set up. Correct gauge of cable, solid/good quality connections are very impotant.
Regards

Back