Epos: Is there a Chinese connection now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikhav

Epos changed hands!! Looks like new owners are no bunch of Chinese managed corporates
And I am happy with just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand the sort of negativity against the Chinese. I think they are remarkable manufacturers/assemblers and the way they have elevated themselves from what they used to be is fantastic! They are responsible for lowered prices of many products globally which once used to be niche and elitist - and that's a very good thing. Me, I could not care less who owns what including where it was manufactured just as long as the fit/finish/engineering/performance/price is good - to me that is all that matters!

Oh, and BTW, Fink Audio Consulting are the engineering brains behind MANY speaker lines from many renowned brands including Epos [under Creek] - you didn't think all speaker manufacturers do their engineering inhouse, did you? ;)

I really don't understand the sort of negativity against the Chinese. I think they are remarkable manufacturers/assemblers and the way they have elevated themselves from what they used to be is fantastic! They are responsible for lowered prices of many products globally which once used to be niche and elitist - and that's a very good thing. Me, I could not care less who owns what including where it was manufactured just as long as the fit/finish/engineering/performance/price is good - to me that is all that matters!

Oh, and BTW, Fink Audio Consulting are the engineering brains behind MANY speaker lines from many renowned brands including Epos [under Creek] - you didn't think all speaker manufacturers do their engineering inhouse, did you? ;)

Well said keith!

Post covid-19, with all the conspiracy theories going on, there is certainly a huge degree of negativity that is knocking on China’s doorstep.
This isn’t the first time that Chinese products or brands have drawn flak in India.

When we had a confrontation with China over Doklam, similar sentiments surfaced, but eventually they all fizzled. We are living in a world where every country depends on another for something. Today if you have to get something manufactured, you have to turn to China for components.

Chinese companies are very good at managing their brand image and they are going to do that on war footing... In the short term this will raise questions in people's minds, but in the medium/long term I don’t see any impact of these campaigns on Chinese companies or products.

eventually they all fizzled

I agree..

Our sentiments fizzled

Mumbai attacks fizzled out from memory..China blocked Masood Azhar declaration as a global terrorist 3 times

They stand against our interests in every global forum....Our memory fizzled..

Our businesses are hurt by cheap Chinese imports...Our sentiments fizzled..

When we are hurt...we light candles and rage on Twitter etc...Our sentiments fizzled

Given this scenario I see no long term impact for them...

I agree...actually

Add...copiers too.. :eek:
I can go on and on about mega copiers in India too but then that would be painting Indians with broad brush strokes and OT hence will not.

Well said keith!

Post covid-19, with all the conspiracy theories going on, there is certainly a huge degree of negativity that is knocking on China’s doorstep.
This isn’t the first time that Chinese products or brands have drawn flak in India.

When we had a confrontation with China over Doklam, similar sentiments surfaced, but eventually they all fizzled. We are living in a world where every country depends on another for something. Today if you have to get something manufactured, you have to turn to China for components.

Chinese companies are very good at managing their brand image and they are going to do that on war footing... In the short term this will raise questions in people's minds, but in the medium/long term I don’t see any impact of these campaigns on Chinese companies or products.

Economies and capitalism absolutely do not care about inter country skirmishes or disasters, major or minor, they do not outrage like human sentiments - that goes for governments too. There is too much of interdependency to take a confrontational stand. Even governments will take tough stances on countries whom they have no reliance on - so no big loss - or so they think. They leave the outrage to vent via their IT cells and followers on social media who are 99% moronic anyways. As long as the Chinese keep providing a service and tick all the right boxes while doing it, they will win. Either our local businesses should learn to compete or should roll over and die. :D

@keith_correa absolutely no issues with Chinese manufacturers.
What I meant is if some proper audio company takes it over instead of bunch of investors like the IAG group they will make products with more emotion and audio values ;)

@keith_correa absolutely no issues with Chinese manufacturers.
What I meant is if some proper audio company takes it over instead of bunch of investors like the IAG group they will make products with more emotion and audio values ;)
It is incorrect to also taint "investor" groups and compare them to so called "audio companies" and make it seem that investor groups are some sort of fools who don't get audio. Doing so makes audio seem like some sort of elitist voodoo that presumes only "audio companies" understand audio. Yes, sometimes mistakes are made in direction given by investor groups and audio companies are not immune to this. By and large, engineering level management remains the same in case of a company take over unless they are doing something hopelessly wrong - in the end, it is the bottom line that counts both for investor groups and audio companies and if audio companies claim otherwise, they are liars or fools or both!

long as the Chinese keep providing a service and tick all the right boxes while doing it, they will win

It's time to get the candles out...that's what we can do...

Heyyy...just realized..they are made in China too :oops:

Good luck to Epos.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to get the candles out...that's what we can do...
Why? To protest because someone else does better than us? Or to mourn because we cannot match up?
Heyyy...just realized..they are made in China too :oops:
Who cares where they are made as long as they light up which is the purpose of a candle. :p

Anyways, enough of the OT posts - let's get back on topic.

Last edited:
Change in ownership to an investor group can be a good or bad thing depending on how its handled. Often, brands do undergo a change in ethos, which can alienate historic fans. Think of Arcam or Quad. There are also cases where the brand has done well out of it - think of Luxman (also part of IAG).

Just because brand ethos is lost doesnt mean the investors havent made money - it may end up trading a small set of loyal customers for a larger, newer set of customers who have no existing connection with the brand. Think of all those Akai TVs sold in the 1990s

Why? To protest when someone else does better than us? Or to mourn because we cannot match up?
Neither...

Have replies to your questions and I love a nice debate... but it will be OT...so will refrain..

Have a nice day ahead...

Finally.. bye from here..

Please don't quote me and bring me back here..

Thanks !

I agree..

Our sentiments fizzled

Mumbai attacks fizzled out from memory..China blocked Masood Azhar declaration as a global terrorist 3 times

They stand against our interests in every global forum....Our memory fizzled..

Our businesses are hurt by cheap Chinese imports...Our sentiments fizzled..

When we are hurt...we light candles and rage on Twitter etc...Our sentiments fizzled

Given this scenario I see no long term impact for them...

I agree...actually

By that logic you would be supporting the average American’s animosity towards call centres operating from India. As per them their jobs were hurt by cheaper service imports from India.

Sentiments will always fizzle out against sound logic in a free world. How long will it remain free though, is anybody’s guess.

Back to the topic, it’s the competence and intentions of the new owners that should be probed, not their origins. I have two products - Castle Knight Speakers and Audiolab amplifier - both British brands bought and revived by Chinese corporate group - priced very attractively and performing excellently. And that doesn’t seem an exception.

their jobs were hurt by cheaper service imports from India.

Isn't it true ?

OTOH..your comparisons aren't tenable IMO

...Our borders and friction with China and the reasons for those cannot be compared to the call centre example.

By your logic...Why spend money on the Tejas when options maybe available with the Chinese ??

Maybe from Aliexpress ;)

Feeding the snake with our demand and our national interests being bitten by the same snake isn't logical at all to me.

Our national interests are paramount and as long as our 2 biggest neighbours are our daily threats ...normal commerce cannot happen.

I was hoping to not have to come back to this thread....

@moderators...Kindly delete my posts as they are OT but I had to respond to points made. By the same token..other members OT needs the same treatment as well.

This was utter rambling and we desperately NEED a facepalm emoji! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
@moderators...Kindly delete my posts as they are OT but I had to respond to points made. By the same token..other members OT needs the same treatment as well.
I saw this thread yesterday from my mobile and wanted to branch off the OT rather than delete them as I felt this warranted debate. Got hold of my laptop and doing it now.

I could not care less who owns what including where it was manufactured just as long as the fit/finish/engineering/performance/price is good - to me that is all that matters!

This isn’t the first time that Chinese products or brands have drawn flak in India. When we had a confrontation with China over Doklam, similar sentiments surfaced, but eventually they all fizzled. We are living in a world where every country depends on another for something.
I see where Mpw is coming from and also, Keith & Hydrovac. They are looking at the same issue from two different angles and hence the conflict of opinions.

For Keith & Hydrovac, here's a story just for assumption just to change the perspective for you both:

This happens between you and your neighbour. You are, say a Doctor with a Clinic in the same complex and he a grocery shop. Naturally he's your family grocer. In society meetings, he scuttles your interests and repeatedly vetoes your intention to do some modifications to your flat to build a HT Room (adding our favourite masala for some emotional connect :D). He actually promotes a new Doctor who has just moved in.

Now my question: Will it be business as usual with him or will you actually take your car out and go to the Departmental Store a kilometre away to fetch your groceries?

Last edited:
I saw this thread yesterday from my mobile and wanted to branch off the OT rather than delete them as I felt this warranted debate. Got hold of my laptop and doing it now.

I see where Mpw is coming from and also, Keith & Hydrovac. They are looking at the same issue from two different angles and hence the conflict of opinions.

For Keith & Hydrovac, here's a story just for assumption just to change the perspective for you both:

This happens between you and your neighbour. You are, say a Doctor with a Clinic in the same complex and he a grocery shop. Naturally he's your family grocer. In society meetings, he scuttles your interests and repeatedly vetoes your intention to do some modifications to your flat to build a HT Room (adding our favourite masala for some emotional connect :D). He actually promotes a new Doctor who has just moved in.

Now my question: Will it be business as usual with him or will you actually take your car out and go to the Departmental Store a kilometre away to fetch your groceries?
Actually and strangely this has happened in our society though of course not exactly the way your example shows. The 2 parties had business dealings, stay in the same colony and had civil issues. They kept up their business dealing and still do. The 2 parties still don't speak to each other except hollering at each other during meetings. Each one needs the other's business and has not cut that off. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Actually and strangely this has happened in our society though of course not exactly the way your example shows. The 2 parties had business dealings, stay in the same colony and had civil issues. They kept up their business dealing and still do. The 2 parties still don't speak to each other except hollering at each other during meetings. Each one needs the other's business and has not cut that off. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?
You've still not answered my question explicitly but I take your reply that it would be business as usual for you. Unfathomable for me but hey, it's just me. o_O

You've still not answered my question explicitly but I take your reply that it would be business as usual for you. Unfathomable for me but hey, it's just me. o_O
Me, I learnt a long time ago to keep emotions separate, to think as objectively as possible and then take decisions. Yes, it seems robotic at times and is very difficult to practice but one tries.
To answer your question - if it involves face to face interaction maybe I'd avoid doing business with him. BUT - ultimately it would boil down to what benefits me. I happen to think emotions are very fickle! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back