Epson Home Cinema 8100 or 720 or 705 HD??

satishgupta

Hi guys,

Need sum help here..

I am planning to buy a projector from US. I ve got Epson Home Cinema 8100 in my mind. But 720 or 705 HD would save me around 500-750 USD. So i am in dilemma what should i go for? As in overall performance difference would be worth that much?? Coz money I save here can use for HT.

Following is the short specification of each of them:
Epson Home Cinema 8100 : HD (1920 x 1080), 36000:1 contrast, 1800 lumens, 16.1 lbs, 2.1x lens. 1499 USD

Epson Home Cinema 720: Native WXGA-H (1280 x 720), 10000:1 contrast, 1600 lumens, with HDTV compatibility. 999 USD

Epson Home Cinema 705HD: WXGA (1280 x 800), 3000:1 contrast, 2500 lumens, 5.1 lbs. 749 USD

Hope to hear from you guys..
Thnks

Satish

Hi guys,

Need sum help here..

I am planning to buy a projector from US. I ve got Epson Home Cinema 8100 in my mind. But 720 or 705 HD would save me around 500-750 USD. So i am in dilemma what should i go for? As in overall performance difference would be worth that much?? Coz money I save here can use for HT.

Following is the short specification of each of them:
Epson Home Cinema 8100 : HD (1920 x 1080), 36000:1 contrast, 1800 lumens, 16.1 lbs, 2.1x lens. 1499 USD

Epson Home Cinema 720: Native WXGA-H (1280 x 720), 10000:1 contrast, 1600 lumens, with HDTV compatibility. 999 USD

Epson Home Cinema 705HD: WXGA (1280 x 800), 3000:1 contrast, 2500 lumens, 5.1 lbs. 749 USD

Hope to hear from you guys..
Thnks

Satish

Hi Satish,

Good choice of Choosing Epson which is currently having a good rating in HT sector, can i know your primary usage - SD contents/ DTH/ HD Movies of 1080P(Bluray)/ Watching over WDTV-xtreamer the 480P & 720P,,,

First u should make up your mind and differentiate ur viewing category of SD/full HD, since u r asking for comparing 8100 which is full HD/ Cinema 720 which is HD ready category like tV/Home Cinema 705HD..

All of above choice see ur room size and if you want to have dedicated HT or living room, it will make a lot of differene.

What is budget for full HT///:lol: including Projector planned for..

Last edited:
Hey srini,

Thnx for prompt reply.

I'll be using projector mostly for movies and sometimes for DTH. I do not intend to buy Bluray player. May be in future I'll buy it but not now. I was thinking of connecting the projector to my laptop for movies n all.

I'll be setting up HT in the living room coz that's the only feasible area in my house. 21'x13'. So i should be able to get 100"-120".

And other than this I am thinking of Denon 1910 as AVR. Speakers 5.1. Haven't yet came upon any shortlistings on that. But haven't auditioned nething yet also. Here my use will be 65/35 music/movies.

And I'm ready to shed around 1.5 Lacs for whole thing. Can extend my pocket a bit depending on need of the situation.

There is no comparason between a full Hd and a HD ready projector and since you are getting one from US which would inventually add to your advantage of pricing. Since you don't have a Blu Ray Player yet but in future you might buy one and I am pretty sure that time will come sooner than later as the prices of Blu Ray player are heading south. So there is no point in buying an old technology at this point of time when the difference between the 2 is not much. I also assume that since you would intend to use it for a long time so if you go for a HD ready projector then you might regret in future that why didn't you buy the better technology when you had the chance. This is human instincts and I thing that you are no different.

Thnks Ashish,

That clears all the doubts in my mind regarding projector selection. So I am going with EPSON HC 8100.

Hence following is my shortlisting for complete HT:

Epson HC 8100 (1499 USD = 72k INR approx)
Denon 1910 (Can you tell me what would be the price in India(Delhi to b xact)?
Around 40k INR?? )
PS3 (would it be comparable to other blu ray players in market? 480 USD= 23k INR approx).. i'll buy it only if it's a performer.
Speakers 5.1 --- yet to decide on them. So what would you suggest if I want such config for less than 40k INR??
Also I've got two shelf Altec Lansing speakers(bought them a year back for 4k). Can I use them for my HT configuration?

Waiting for suggestions..

Thanks
Satish

Thnks Ashish,

That clears all the doubts in my mind regarding projector selection. So I am going with EPSON HC 8100.

Hence following is my shortlisting for complete HT:

Epson HC 8100 (1499 USD = 72k INR approx)
Denon 1910 (Can you tell me what would be the price in India(Delhi to b xact)?
Around 40k INR?? )
PS3 (would it be comparable to other blu ray players in market? 480 USD= 23k INR approx).. i'll buy it only if it's a performer.
Speakers 5.1 --- yet to decide on them. So what would you suggest if I want such config for less than 40k INR??
Also I've got two shelf Altec Lansing speakers(bought them a year back for 4k). Can I use them for my HT configuration?

Waiting for suggestions..

Thanks
Satish

Denon 1910 you can get for 37K in Delhi and its an allrounder.
Ps3 slim will be launched in India at the end of November or the first week of December and please don't buy it from US as the prices which you are quotating is far more then what it is avaliable here for. Correct Prices in India as of now : PS3 FAT with 80 GB HDD complaint to region C of BD and region 5 of DVD with 2 free games is avaliable around 19.9K and if you bargain hard then you could even get it for 19K.
The only difference between the Newly Launched Slim and old Fat is that Slim has 120Gb internal HDD and has the ability to bitstream HD audio to a compatable AVR and in your case Denon 1910. It would be avaliable without any offer for around 19K when it launches. For the kind of setup you are procuring Ps3 is a great buy.
I don't know anythng about your Altec Lansing speakers unless and untill I get the model number, also in your limited budget of 40K for speakers you could audition Jamo A102HCS, or if you could raise your budget by 10K then Q-Acoustics 1010i is a very good contender for a 5.1 setup.

I suggest that you keep the PS3 out of your list for sometime (assuming you have a DVDP etc) and spend your budget on the PJ+Screen and AVR+Speakers. If you spend less on speakers now, then you may regret that later.

Thnks Ashish & Kumar for the useful info..

Ok assuming that I'll buy PS3 later I raise my budget for speaker(5.1) to 60k. So other than Q Acoustics 1010i what would u guys suggest I should audition.

And can u please let me know about some decent dealers in Delhi for Denon 1910 and the speakers.

What is your room size? You could look at Wharfedale 9 or 10 series, PSB Image or Alpha series, Usher 520s etc. You could go with QA 1000 or 2000 series also, listen to various speakers and then take a call.

Thnks Ashish & Kumar for the useful info..

Ok assuming that I'll buy PS3 later I raise my budget for speaker(5.1) to 60k. So other than Q Acoustics 1010i what would u guys suggest I should audition.

And can u please let me know about some decent dealers in Delhi for Denon 1910 and the speakers.

Pro Fx and Kei are the distributers for Denon in India, you can find the list of dealers on their website i.e Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions. Also for the speakers if you start with 2 speakers right now and then keep on adding whenever your budget permits at a later date, that way you would end up assembling a much better and all rounder speakers which would match well with your AVR. Otherwise Q-Acostics and KEF are the brands to consider if you are maxed out at 60K. Kef style speakers are also "Whathifi" award winners and the best advantage would be that its distributed by Profx so you could audition the same with the AVR you decide, at a dealer's location itself.

regarding epson 8100 - a very similar but better model TW3500 is being launched shortly in India, would be available in stores by November end, would be priced close to 1.3L MRP (1.1 street price),but for that added 30k you would get a 2 yr warranty support and better specs than 8100..
If you are particular in getting it from US, why don't you add Mits HC3800 to your list? It has been rated better in terms of picture quality, and is available in US stores for around $1300, although it has limited placement flexibility and is a DLP (if that matters to u)

Last edited:
hi satish , have u got the epson 8100 pj as yet , if so cud u write a brief review on that , as i too am looking out for a 1080p pj to upgrade my optoma hd65

in list is the mits hc3800
epson 8100
sanyo z700
optoma hd20

the epson and the mits have better reviews here

hi satish , have u got the epson 8100 pj as yet , if so cud u write a brief review on that , as i too am looking out for a 1080p pj to upgrade my optoma hd65

in list is the mits hc3800
epson 8100
sanyo z700
optoma hd20

the epson and the mits have better reviews here

Subhash please add to your list Panasonic Pt Ae 3000 or the newer model 4000, they are avaliable around 125k here in India after sourcing from Singapore. Let me know if you wana know about their avaliability.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back