epson home cinema 8350 projector

Dovin,

A projector should always be on a ceiling mount or placed on something with a equivalent height, unless there is a unique situation.

The best place to look for buying a projector is some international web pages, this is what i was guided by forum guys, when i was looking for my 2nd projector.

We can meet on any of the Saturday, timing of your choice.

V.

Vinay, I have to keep the projector at around mid-height of the screen. I have to keep it on top of the AV cabinet. That's why I thought of Epson 8350. Can you recommend any projector under 75,000 Rs that has good placement flexibility ?

I would certainly love to see your setup on a mutually convenient date. Where do you live in Mumbai ? I'm in Navi Mumbai.

Sidvee,

In my case it seems i too did not have problems till around 100 hours of usage.

I have crossed around 250 hours. It will be interesting to see when you are around 200 hours, the problem surfaces or no of lesser bulb light etc. My best wishes.

It will not be a good idea to buy extra bulb while purchasing projector for various reasons, some of them are that one may loose interest later to watch movies via projector, or is not happy with the functions which is likely to be because of wrong handling, or at a later time may want to go for a higher version, or tapping the new technology, then there will be cases where they hardly watch movies but have still bought the projector and now there interest is for music or what not and importantly what if the projector is giving regular working problems.

In view to these factors i think it is much better to keep away from buying a spare bulb.

V.

I have about 110 hrs on my unit. No issues so far (may Lord Ganesh bless my projector:)). I think the Asian version of 8350 is available here so its bulb should work. I also feel that any projector is going to have a risk and hence bulb warranties are usually 90 days. So only option, buy a second bulb with the new unit itself. These usually cost less than buying a bulb separately.
Good Luck!
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Actually Vinay is quite right - I have owned 5 to 6 projectors so far and I have not changed the bulb in any. Fortunately all of them worked well and after about 1400-1500 which is approx. 2-3 years of watching time for my usage, the technology had progressed so far that it was pointless to spend money to change the bulb, so i just junked the old projector.
I went through interlaced - progressive scan - high contrast - 720p - 1080p -starting from laser disc to DVD to BR.
Cheers,
Sid

Don't worry about projector lamps so much. :) Run those on lower power/economy setting and they will last for about 2000 to 3000 hrs easily. With 3 hr watching everyday, that is around 3 years. As Vinay pointed out, by that time, new technology surfaces and usually we upgrade.

I have been using projectors and did not had to change a single lamp so far. By the time lamp rated is around 1000 hrs, I have ended up upgrading the projector. We watch around 4 hrs everyday.

And if you do have to change the lamp because it blew up or something, sometimes you can just replace the bulb. There are some aftermarket bulbs available which are same as used in those lamps. If one is having patience, good stable hands, then the bulb inside the lamp housing can be changed. Google for projector bulb replacement. Might end up saving some money. ;)

Dovin,

I am having 8350 for about 10 months, for the first 5/6 months it worked fine, but since last few months with each usage around one or two times the bulb light drops by about 75%, and is back to normal in a minute or two, otherwise so far it is a good projector.

I think Epson is not going to send any replacement under warranty period, this or other risk which we have to take and is worth it, keeping in mind to how much we are saving on the cost if we buy from abroad, and importantly when we import there is the best and latest of model.

For repairs If one will give a US address, it will surely help but there will be other issues and it is likely not viable to send abroad for reasons threaded elsewhere.

While the stores here generally bone us with one or two years old makes with near about double the price.

There will be many options to buy projector, if you will refer the international web pages etc. Our beam world should not end with Epson, it is like if you miss a local train, no big deal, the next one is just behind.

V.

I read up on the Epson Bulb failure issues. Sounds scary. Anyone had a failure here yet ? Will Epson send a replacement even if you are in India, if you can give then a US address ? I really liked the 8350 reviews, and the placement flexibility - not sure what projector to buy now!!

Last edited:
Dovin,

It is a good home work that you spoke with Epson.

I think the bulb life is not a issue, in most cases it could run it's life with ease. My earlier projector bulb beamed for over 3000 hours and then had it's death. While the projector over all still seems to be in pink of health.

To handle issues of bulb or some repairs, there are many of them around but it is always better that let the authorised service center handle, we can always pay them for the charges.

V.

I spoke with Epson sales rep in India about the EH-TW3600 which is the 8350 equivalent. I asked him about the price difference and the bulb issue for 8350 which is the equivalent model abroad. His answers were,

2) HOWEVER, he said that Epson India DOES NOT offer any additional warranty on the bulb other than 500Hrs/90Days. After 90 days you are on your own.

He also said that if you buy an 8350 from US and your bulb failed, even if you get a replacement bulb, Espon India will not help you replace the bulb or help you in any way with any kind of problems.

So those of you who bought Epson from abroad, what will you do if you have any issues ? Is the sales guy bluffing ? are there 3rd party AV professionals who can fix them in India ? I really like the feedback about 8350 except the bulb scare.

rgds,

Dovin,To handle issues of bulb or some repairs, there are many of them around but it is always better that let the authorised service center handle, we can always pay them for the charges.

V.

I don't know if he was just trying to push me into buying local, but according to the Epson India sales guy they won't service projectors bought from another country even if customer is willing to pay for parts & labour. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Anyway, I have one more month to make a final decision as some civil work in my house is going on now.

Dovin,

In my case i had used services of SYW, i had insisted that purchase of projector should be only from the company i will suggest, they agreed and later backed out with some garbage reasons, and they sourced from their choice of supplier with delay etc.

If you will ask these sellers for Asian version etc, they are likely to promise the moon, but may not adhere to what is agreed upon, so a lot of risk management has to be done.

V.

How did you buy yours to get the Asian version ? I'm thinking of using BH Photo Video in Pune. Do you think I can ask them specifically for the Asian version ?

rgds,

Last edited:
It is like medical tourisim, many of the guys come from abroad to India for treatement and do their sight seeing too, still save a lot of money compared to what they would pay in their developed countries while the waiting period for surgery in their country could be months and here they will be operated instantly.

During the making of my Mini Theatre, i had this idea to go abroad for AV tourisim, see the widest range of gear, shop the gadgets, get low prices and latest models, which the Indian stores will not be able to offer in their wildest dreams. This way we get to do a lot of sight seeing too and being a grand vacaton for free.

The shopping services through online is a great way to go forward but problem is their services and bad ethics at times, there are so many complains about SYW, etc on this forum. It seems one or two firms, are quite good with such services.

I had planned myself well with the projector delivery, i made them wait till i opened the package in front of them, and took the photographs, only once it was visually in order, then i signed the delivery receipt and had taken a few more precautions so that untoward is kept at it's low.

To conclude i think it is much better to import via online story or ask someone to carry from abroad, and use a lot of risk management, still if something goes wrong, culprit will be none other then fate.

V.

Dovin - Mine is the 8350 carried in check in baggage from US last Dec. The TW3600 if I understand right is the exact same unit as the 8350 rebadged for Asian markets (so they can charge more:mad:), so its bulb should be interchangeable. Bulb can be replaced by user - not a big deal - again I have not done so but have seen pics and posts and instructions and it seems fairly simple. The US units retail for around $1100 so approx. half of the Indian unit. If you can have some one carry it, it is an ubeatable deal. Heck you could even make a trip to US for some sight seeing, drink some good wine, and buy the projector and carry it back for roughly similar amount of buying Indian retail:). The other option is using one of the shopping services to get the unit shipped but I would worry about damage to a sensitive equipment like a projector. In the end your comfort level should be a guide to where you will buy it.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Dovin,

It could be possible that Epson will not service projectors if bought from abroad, in a such a situation they seem to be quite unfounded in loss of good additional revenues.

Since your civil work is on, you might as well get some work done for the wiring & cables for projector + related, of which you already know very well how to go about.

Please consider a step further, visit some of the members and see how they have done the civil work, maybe you can get more ideas, after all these are crucial in-direct foundation times.

V.

I don't know if he was just trying to push me into buying local, but according to the Epson India sales guy they won't service projectors bought from another country even if customer is willing to pay for parts & labour. I thought that was very unprofessional.

Anyway, I have one more month to make a final decision as some civil work in my house is going on now.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back