Epson TW6000 - Complete Saga

@sixthsense

can you pls post pictures of 16:9 (1.78:1) and 21:9 (2.35:1) movies.

What are the options we have to view these two formats. Do we have to make any changes each time.

As per my understanding, we set default to 16:9 and if 21:9 input is given, projector will show it with black bars on top and bottom - am I correct?.

Is there any option to show the 21:9 movie in the bottom of the screen (without any black bar below, ie without leaving any space in the bottom)

I think it really depends on the way your player works. I use XBMC and it gives me an option to crop the black bar's before sending the signal to the projector, so i can watch the movie in full screen. You can zoom and select various aspect ratio's which are not natively set in the video. Of course if you view the videos in their native format then you do get the black bars. Hope this clarifies, i'll try to post some more pics soon with and without bars ;)

@sixthsense

I was reading patiently all the posts, and I must say nothing comes close when observations are heard from a hands-on situation. Can you please write your research result of "relation between the screen size and viewing (screen to viewer) distance"? I want to hear from you realistically, what size looks how from what distance in full HD

BTW if I ever get to develop 1080p PJ set up, the first two films that I want to see are - LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DANCES WITH WOLVES

Arnab

@sixthsense

I was reading patiently all the posts, and I must say nothing comes close when observations are heard from a hands-on situation. Can you please write your research result of "relation between the screen size and viewing (screen to viewer) distance"? I want to hear from you realistically, what size looks how from what distance in full HD

BTW if I ever get to develop 1080p PJ set up, the first two films that I want to see are - LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and DANCES WITH WOLVES

Arnab

This should be more of personal choice and liking. For me I consider the optimum size would fill your view with the image to really get a feel of a movie theatre. Also it takes time to get adjusted to this new size of the screen as you cannot compare it to the TV.

For the TV's ranging from 42 - 55", I think a minimum viewing distance of 8 feet and maximum of 10 feet should be fine. As soon as you go beyond that it just gets worse. I think 3D would not even make an impact at a distance beyond 10 feets. In the showroom that's why you are watching everything at 6-7 feet and you see the hd videos and 3d filling your view and making you go WOW.

Simple calculation for me is too double the size of the screen should be your minimum viewing distance and adding few more should be optimum but not going beyond 2.5 times your screen size. Currently my projector is setup to put a 120" diagonal length image and my seating is around 22-24 feet away from the screen. Anything smaller than that was not suiting me, some friends do say that a bit small would be better but then they are not used to the big screen.

One more thing that can make you decide. When it comes to movies there are two components the visual screen image and the sound. Now with a powerful sound system and all the new formats of DTS HD audio somehow the audio aspect is more over powering in the whole experience when you've a small TV. As you are trying to play the audio to the quality played in theatres but the TV cannot be compared which leaves you with half the experience.
With a big screen, this is balanced and you would be immersed in the movie without the audio overpowering the experience and in fact it will complement your big screen. I would not recommend a Basic HTIB if you are going for a projector.

So last point about the video quality. You can still watch DVD's on the TV upto 55 and they'll still look reasonable to you. But you just cannot play DVD ( maybe HD DVD's are better) on the screen sizes beyond 80", as it looks crap and unwatchable. You minimum need a 720p resolution BR ripped file which is of minimum 4-5 gb size for a 1 hr length video to show up decently on your screen. 1080p or HD would be the way to go and BluRay is the top most quality you can get today. As far as I'm concerned only 1080p rips from BR without any compression looks great and does justice to the equipment.

Ideally, it depends upon viewing angle. THX recommends 36 deg viewing angle. that comes to approx 1.25 times screen diagonal size.

I like to seat closer, more from Audio perspective as well. I want my Left and Right speakers to be wide as well, forming 50 deg + angle from my seating position to give wide sound stage. I have 125" wide screen (143" diagonal) and I seat at 14 ft away. That fills my vision completely and some more. ;)

I myself sit at 13 feet from my 120" screen. Looks fine to me and I do not want sit any farther. I also watch movies on my 50" tv from 6-7 feet.
I don't really watch regular television much. So a 32" TV with a distance of 10 ft is fine for me.
So it all boils down to your own personal preference. THX recommendations and distance calculator formulas be damned ;-)

@Manoj.p - I love you tagline - "It's perfectly fine to have a 'Preference', just don't push that as 'Reference' to others.".
People really need to learn this.

Happy to hear that there are people who would like to sit closer and watch.

Me too in this category

I am planning to sit at a distance of 12 or 13 feet away from 10 feet wide (not diagonal) screen.

I think for Full HD content this distance is OK

Congrats for the projector buddy :clapping:

I was also thinking of getting TW6000 but after some reviews and demo, zeroed in to TW5900 from UK.

The advantage TW6000 brings is in the brightness [which should help 3D], and the contrast ratio; but thought TW5900 should complement me.

My house construction is going on and this one is for my Home theater which will be completely blacked out which means 2000 Lumens and 20000:1 contrast ratio should work well.

Ordered for one pair of Epson 3D glasses [GBP 76] and one pair of Panasonic Active shutter glasses [GBP 44].

Bought Sony BDP-S790 as well. Projector and Blu-ray player reached my Home but waiting for the 3D glasses. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back