Epson TW6000 - Complete Saga

sixthsense

Background
I own a HD Ready 42" Panasonic Plasma since 2007. It was good for watching 1.5 gb rips of DVD or actual DVD itself. Owned 2 DVD players in this course of time. Also had a 1TB HD mediaplayer since 2008 which used to store my collection and playback the same and rendered the DVD player almost useless. Come 2010 and TataSky HD + was added and .mkv format became widespread for hollywood movies as Blu-ray were becoming quite common. Also the invent of 3D with Avatar and all made an entry into the televison market. So the itch to upgrade started and the search started around nov 2011.

Television - Plasma/LCD/LED
As i already had 42" for so long i wanted to upgrade to Full HD for sure and the size. So i started demoing for all Plasma's and LED's above 50". 50 inch didn't look like an upgrade and 55 inch also didn't click too much. So 60" or more was the only option. Now as soon as you go above 55 the prices just multiply, so after much research found an LG 3D plasma 60" Full HD + 3d for about 1.1L. Soon found out that LG has discontinued it and even after calling every dealer in Bangalore didn't find any stock.So gave up and started waiting for new releases which has never arrived till today. I think LG is pushing their LED TV's which cost 1.4L for 55" and 60" plasma for 1L would kill it's LED market.

Worth mentioning is the Samsung 64 Inches 3D Full HD Plasma PS64D8000FR. I saw the demo in samsung shop where i had taken Dark Knight Blu-ray as always and the results were amazing. At a price point of 2L, this TV is worth every penny. What stopped me from nuying it was the online review of this TV revealing it has some screen peeling issues which was quite common. Spending 2L is not an easy decision for something which has build issues, so dropped the idea finally. This ended my hunt for TV's.

Projector Hunting
This started when one of my collegues told me that a projector will give me the desired screen size and all the features i wanted within the same price range. This was when i started (Jan 2012) looking at projector's and i needed to start from some basic knowledge of technical details of projector's available. Quickly i could make out that in home theater's there is only 2 main competitor's in india. Optoma's DLP projectors and Espon's range of 3LCD projector. So i would not loose any opportunity for a demo anywhere even if the guy is selling AVR's and demoing it on projectors :D . I did get quite a lot of Optoma HD33 or lower models demo, Epson TW3600 and some more Panasonic etc. So after demo's for around 2 months i was convinced that i need a projector and no TV can come close to what i can achieve with a projector.

Epson TW6000 - Getting down to the Final One :yahoo:
There were many things that i wanted. Top of my list was the following:
  1. Minimun 2000 lumens (As i do not have the luxury of dedicated theater room and i would use it in my living space)
  2. Full HD 1080p
  3. Price Point - 1L was comfortable and 1.3 was OK and 1.5 was ouch...
  4. 3D - All existing formats
  5. More the warranty better it was.
Only 2 projectors made it to my wishlist Optoma HD33 and Epson Tw6000. Optoma had lesser lumens 1800 vs 2200 in epson, 1000 hrs lesser than Epson and the price point was around 30k more than Epson. So this made my decision easier, as i went on reading reviews there was no major -ve point i could find in Epson. So I set my mind for Epson and research the dealers, took help from fellow members on HiFiVision and placed an order 28th March. And after a very very long wait the projector was finally delivered to me on 25th May. Yes 2 months, as idiots at Epson didn't think too much about production at the rate it was selling.

Apart from the projector i also got the following:

1) Ceiling Mount - Liberty Brand - It has a 1.5 feet fixed rod in between which can go upto 2 feet and i learned this only after opening the box. Anyway i was to hang my projector at 5-6 inches from ceiling, so anyway i was not going to use that and just use the celieng clamp + the projector clamp. Nothing much about it, looked sturdy and was white as my ceiling.

2) Projector Screen - Major confusion here and i would need to write this in details as it may help other members to choose. So first questions first, how big is big enough ?
My Living Room Dimensions are 12 feet wide and 24 feet in length, celieng being 8'10" feet. I could only put the projector at a maximum distance of 14 feet from the screen as there is a Fan after that. So I went straight into Epson's site which has this great distance calculator where i can chosse my projector model and input all my values Epson Projector Distance Calculator . Now from here i could make out that projecting 16:9 from 14 feet would give me maximum of 9.8 feet wide and some 6 feet tall image which is the highest i could go. During my research i found the following:
  • Typically the screens come in 4:3 ratio more and 16:9 is very hard to find
  • Screen can be Tripod mounted, instalock manual pulldown or motorised, if i widely categorize them in increasing order of price.
  • Da-lite is a US brand which makes high quality screen and the price range is almost double compared to indian brand.
  • Liberty Grandview is an Indian Chinese collaboration brand and can fall within your budget with acceptable quality.
  • For 4:3 ratio standard size is either 8x6 (120") or 10x8 (150")
  • For 16:9 ratio the prices will increase as they are not much in demand and for a 16:9 9.5x5.5 (130") you'll have to shell out much more than a 4:3 10x8
So i went down with a 10x8 4:3 ratio manaul Pulldown Liberty Grandview screen, which i would only pull down to 6 feet to make is 16:9 :). I'm pretty happy and have absolutely no complaints till now, but then it has only been a few days.

3) 3D Glasses - I got nothing very easily, while the projector was delivered to me i was told that the epson glasses are out of stock and will be provided to me only after 10th June. I was like "Are you kidding me ?" :mad:, after 2 months waiting for the projector i'll not be able to see an 3D. So off i went into another research into 3D glasses and compatibility. So my research yielded that only 3 other glasesses have been found out to be working with Epson :

1) Sainsonic - these were cheap on amazon but i was not too sure about the quality and everybody had commented them good for keeping them as spare glasses. For me this would act as my primary glasses and i didn't want my 3D experience to be ruined.
2) Sony PS3 glasses - These again are not avaialble in india and are in price range of 3k per glass. Not bad, but i didn't have an otpion of buying through US Amazon.
3) Panasonic 3rd Generation 3D glasses - these are actually certified by Epson itself to work with their projectors and from the review somwhat better in terms of features - Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3010, FAQ - Technical Support - Epson America, Inc.

So the safest bet was Panasonic, but they are not cheap costing 6900/- per glass. With no option i bought 2 glasses from panasonic brand showroom and they have a choice of small, medium and large which epson doesn't have. The small one fitted perfectly so i bought 2 of those. I even got one changed the next dat as there was an issue with one of the glasses, kudos to Panasonic the dealer didn't even ask me any questions and replaced it immediately. Some advantage of buying it locally.

OK now down to the review now :
Too late i'll continue putting my review tomorrow and reserve the next post for it

Down to the review now :

Epson TW6000 - Technical details worth mentioning
  • 3 LCD technology
  • 2200 Lumens
  • Lamp Life 5000 hrs in eco mode
  • 1080p full hd + 3D (active shutter IR)
  • Supports 4:3 and 16:9
  • HDMI Dual input
  • Standby 1W and 300W running

Package
It comes in a big brown oem kinda box and is not at all impresive for a 1L price range product.The outer box is basic and doesn't even have the contents listed anywhere whcih was quite a surprise for me. Though there is a seperate piece of paper inside listing the box contents :
  • Power Cable
  • USB Cable
  • Remote Controller + 2 Batteries
  • VGA cable has a cross against it made with ball pen. It also has an Epson verified and check signature.

Build
Color - i think its only avaialble in White right now but in Europe it's avaialable in Black as well. For me white was fine as it matches the ceiling color.
Plastic Body - It's a glossy finish sturdy plastic body which looks beautiful but nothing space age about it as well. All the corners are well rounded and the projector doesn't have any pointed corners coming out from anywhere. Overall i think the build is strong and would withstand the wear and tear with a smile.

Inbuilt Speakers
Nothing major to boast about but they've managed to put in some decent inbuilt speakers (10 watt) which can be comparable to any ordinary LED/LCD TV's speaker. Once in a while when you are not in a mood to switch on your monster 5.1 audio system, you can easily do with these speakers. The speakers are well cabinated inside the body with a white metal grill around it at the back of the projector. The rating for this projector wouldn't have gone down with the absence of these :).

Setup
It easy or very easy compared to setting up any other gadget. For me it worked great out of the box as well. The power cord is around 4 feet which comes with it. I'm using a 25ft HDMI 1.4 cable to connect it to my AVR. All i had to do was to power on the projector and adjust the size of the image and adjust the focus a bit. It was all up and running within 10 minutes. I'll post some tweaks when i've the time to play with it. You do not need the remote to setup.

Remote
Outright ugly and bulky. This is one thing i didn't like about this projector at all. At the time everything is made smaller and ergonomic, here comes epson with this big black thick ugly piece of remote. The only reason i can think of right now is that maybe it need to be more powerful beacuse of the 3D IR emitter interference, but then again there is my TV remote which also works fine even if i point it towards the opposite wall. I'll try to configure this remote to my Onkyo universal remote and get rid of this. The on screen menu is simple and is a no brainer. You can easily do most things with the arrow keys and control every aspect including keystone correction.

Image Brightness
The brightness levels are too good to be true. With The default eco mode and color mode set to cinema, the image was bright enough to light up my 130" screen. If you change it to full power and set it to dynamic you're in for a really bright session. I'd set it up with eco for now as i want my eyes to get adjusted to the big screen and then i might turn on the brightness. For now i'm fully satisfied with it and even with quite a lot of light in my living room where any other projector would fail this epson lives up to the expectation. But you really need to achieve some darkness to get the quality out of it.

2D movie experience
Now i'm no videophile or anywhere near that. I own modest piece of equipment and nothing to hifi. So the projector is connected to my AVR out and a core i3 HTPC connected in turn to my AVR running XBMC. I've a wide collection of movies ranging from 720p to 1080p and a whole set of Blurays. The Blurays are also played through my HTPC as it has a Bluray writer in it. Movies I watched till now:
  1. Matrix Revolution - 1080p Source Bluray
  2. Rapunzel - 1080i Source TataSky HD+
  3. Puss in Boots - 720p Source mkv
  4. Inception - 1080p source mkv

Matrix revolutions - was brilliant in terms of color reproduction, fight sequence and skin tones. All looked natural enough to me. Though my wife complained of action scenes being dizzy due to the big screen.
Rapunzel - I was not too sure about the quality of TataSky HD movies, but to my surprise it did very well. The whole family enjoyed the movie with it's animation and color reproduction i was able to watch it again. My daughter now only wants to see now what she calls a "BIG TV" :) .
Puss in boots - 720p is acceptable enough but only if the file size is above 5 gb, anything less and it'll look like crap on this projector. Depends on your screen size as well. As you lower the size the brightness increases.
Inception - Now a 10 gb file in 1080p is totally acceptable but still cannot be compared to a Bluray. I would say the movie had a lot of Dark scenes and the Black levels were amazing. Somewhere you'll feel the compromise that you'll have to do between a full blown Bluray disc playback versus a ripped file.

3D movie experience
Movies i watched till now :
  1. Avatar 3D - source mkv 13gb 1080p 3D SBS
  2. Kung-Fu Panda 3d - source mkv 7gb rip 720p 3D SBS
I've yet to get my 3D Bluray's ordered from amazon UK :). Both the movies were brilliant in 3D effects. The brightness was at good levels for a 3D movie. As i said in one of my earlier posts in another thread it's way better than the 3D brightness and effects we get in out cinema halls. With 3D i found that animated movies are far more better in effect than a normal movie like avatar and are less train to your eyes. I can add that the panasonic glasses are very comfortable and i've no complaints about it at all. I've to still test a 3D Bluray and would add the results here as soon as i test it. Anything less than 1080p in 3D would not do justice as i tried some files and they looked horrible. One issue i found is that you've to manually change the 3D mode to SBS to let the projector know that you are projecting a SBS 3D image, the auto mode doesn't pick it up for some reason.

Till now very happy with the purchase and the experience has just started. :yahoo:

Images coming up soon..

Last edited:
Movies I watched till now:
  1. Matrix Revolution - 1080p Source Bluray
  2. Rapunzel - 1080i Source TataSky HD+
  3. Puss in Boots - 720p Source mkv
  4. Inception - 1080p source mkv

Rapunzel - I was not too sure about the quality of TataSky HD movies, but to my surprise it did very well. The whole family enjoyed the movie with it's animation and color reproduction i was able to watch it again. My daughter now only wants to see now what she calls a "BIG TV" :) .

I believe the movie is called Tangled :lol:.

Anyway congrats on the projector. The american cousin of this thing - The Epson 3010 is going for 1499 with two 3d glasses right now. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

I believe the movie is called Tangled :lol:.

Anyway congrats on the projector. The american cousin of this thing - The Epson 3010 is going for 1499 with two 3d glasses right now. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

Yup Tangled it is :lol: .. i guess you know why i called it Rapunzel...

Congrats :clapping:

Really useful post for me as I am also in the path of buying Projector and screen.

Idea was to buy them next year. Now I am not sure whether I can wait that long ;)

Thanks for the detailed post.

I heard that Hugo is also a good 3D movie, you may watch it and post your feedback.

Last edited:
Congrats :clapping:

Really useful post for me as I am also in the path of buying Projector and screen.

Idea was to buy them next year. Now I am not sure whether I can wait that long ;)

Thanks for the detailed post.

I heard that Hugo is also a good 3D movie, you may watch it and post your feedback.

Welcome mate, next in the line is Transformers - Dark of the moon 3D :D . I'll post the review soon. I've to still get some pics uploaded. Hugo i've watched in 2D and didn't like much.

The avengers i watched first day first show in 3D, but was greatly dissapointed by the 3D. It would be fun to compare that experience with one played through this projector. :eek:hyeah:

Hugo as a movie is disappointing, but 3D was good. Watch Avengers 3D on your projector setup and you'll not be unhappy. If you are then you are really hard to please :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Hugo as a movie is disappointing, but 3D was good. Watch Avengers 3D on your projector setup and you'll not be unhappy. If you are then you are really hard to please :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Where did you get the blu-ray for the avengers 3d ? I could not find it anywhere and i believe it's not released yet :rolleyes: and the release date is somewhere september according to online websites..

I meant, 3D version of the movie was very good in theater. So will be better experience at home. I do not have 3D source but seen a few demos.

Am waiting for TW8000/9000 availability to take the plunge :)

I meant, 3D version of the movie was very good in theater. So will be better experience at home. I do not have 3D source but seen a few demos.

Am waiting for TW8000/9000 availability to take the plunge :)

Yup the trailers for the movie are available, i'll try to download and see.:)

TW8000 is being quoted for 1.4L + Tax without 3D glasses. It's officially available in India for sure, but don't know if it's in stock.

What are the additional benefits of TW8000? Is it worth the extra money

TW8000 over 6000 has :

lens shift - If you've a constraint of room length/size for projecting the size you want and the projector would not be placed in center, then this feature would solve your problems.

2400 lumens vs 2200 in tw6000 - I think extra lumens are always welcome :)

22db fan vs 24 db in tw6000 - I do not hear any noise from my tw6000, so i dont know how much deference it would make.

contrast ratio is whopping 200,000:1 vs tw6000 only has 40,000:1

The cool down period for TW8000 is 16 sec :rolleyes: and TW6000 is only 5 seconds. Actually i was surprised when it went into standby so fast.

Of course there are some technical details other than above, but if Lens shift is really a need than please do go ahead with TW8000. Also TW8000 has inbuilt 2d to 3d conversion which is not in TW6000

I missed the price and images of the projector... has sixth sense posted alread?

regards

PS : Anyone compared this to the big boss : Panasonic PT-AE 5000.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back