Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne

For amplification, you might want to check out Line Magnetic as well. Since you'd be buying from China, you'd get a killer deal since they are based in China.

I'm hearing some stellar reviews of their amps from many folks I trust.

RoC, I have never heard a Magnetic Line. I hope they sound as good as they look. And if they do they would be something interesting. But till I audition them, hard to say. In fact, if I decide to spend money on a Line Magnetic, I would step a bit further up and acquire an Audio Space. Audio Space amps are a class act. I am sold by their reputation, but the challenge lies in being able to do an A/B between these amps, which are all great performing amps but hard to audition next to each other.

Wrt to prices in China, I don't want to shock you, but the reality is the opposite. The retail prices in China are higher than in India. Duty is very high in China and that comes down to consumers in the end. And any product that is made for an international brand, is firstly exported, then imported back. Consumer prices are the price after the import duty. Chinese consumers themselves smuggle tons of electronics from west and of course Korea.

Wrt to prices in China, I don't want to shock you, but the reality is the opposite. The retail prices in China are higher than in India. Duty is very high in China and that comes down to consumers in the end. And any product that is made for an international brand, is firstly exported, then imported back. Consumer prices are the price after the import duty. Chinese consumers themselves smuggle tons of electronics from west and of course Korea.

Everyone's after paisa wasool :( Even in india the best things get exported and we never even get to see it. And when we do, they're priced sky high.

We indians also have a mindset where when something gets a fancy foreign name for a local thing, their price instantly goes up to foreign one even if its local. It's disgusting.

Hello everyone nice to join such an enthusiastic crowd. A friend in singapore who also bought a pair of Micro one's told me about this post. True, our world has become much smaller.

What struck me about the micro 1's was how resolving it was of the music, very balanced and clarity and detail. Can go on and on i guess. It is amongst the best speakers i have heard. How it is able to go so down on an organ without even a tremble is beyond me, all this with a 48w tube amp.

Hearing is believing.

Staxxx, it is not a Chandos but an RR. I bought it a couple of weeks back. Another fantastic CD I heard recently is Serge Rachmaninoff's Piano Concert. Another great CD.

http://www.chandos.net/CD_Notes.asp?CNumber=CHAN 7114M.

China is flooded with Tube Amplifier makers. When I think I now know most of the reputed chinese brands, here comes another. This is the first I am hearing about Line Magnetic. Audio-gd is another brand whos DAC's have recieved good reviews. And these products are not cheap. Maybe cheaper compared to Western products but still not cheap.

Ranjeet, will be good to have you over. I will let you know later this week if Saturday is do able.

Everyone's after paisa wasool :( Even in india the best things get exported and we never even get to see it. And when we do, they're priced sky high.

We indians also have a mindset where when something gets a fancy foreign name for a local thing, their price instantly goes up to foreign one even if its local. It's disgusting.

I hear you. But there is a diff between Indian and Chinese consumers. Average Chinese people are more patriotic than average Indians. They do not mind spending money on a local brand. There are so many local brands that have risen through the ranks and made it to the international scene. Aurum Cantus, Consonance Opera, Dussun, Shanling, these are genuinely Chinese brand that have genuinely Chinese products that compete neck to neck with international brands and offer compelling value. Can't say that about Indian brands, though. Anybody knows whatever happened to BPL, Onida, Videocon? All these companies, at some point in time or other had some great products. Onida Hydropower was the most effective semi-auto washing machine made anywhere in the world (in my eyes). Videocon was exported in 16 countries, but had few buyers in India. Eventually these companies lost the ground. Wrt to hifi, scene is worse. Many companies that seemed promising, just faded away. At the core there is one reason, lack of trust by Indian consumers in Indian brands. Indian manufacturing is superior than Chinese, but there is little R&D in India to back it up. And Indian companies are not doing enough to woo customers through tech-excellence. Sad, but true.

8056946696_21293463a2_b.jpg

@ ranjeetrain

Simply blown away looking at those exquisite floorstanders. :clapping:

They must sound amazing.

Last edited:
I just got to listen to one of them. The Evolution Acoustics MMThree, the one right behind the stand mounts. They sounded HUGE. Of course the demo room (which was not too small by normal standards) was too small for it. Such speakers would be more suitable for a say 600-800 square feet area with a slightly high ceiling, heavily carpeted, draped all round and with tons of fixtures on the ground and paintings on the wall. You know what I mean, sort of Mallaya's lounge kinda places :licklips:

Those don't just cost 50 lacs, they also need a place they deserve.

Okay, so here comes the next part of the review after a lot of procrastination! Having done the core listening to assess the setup as it would exist in my living room, I moved towards alternates. Though the system I was checking sounded quite alright to me, I decided to check more components, to see how much improvement I could get by how much of investment.

Round 4: Sonic Frontier SFS-80 vs Red Rose Music Model 2

The first change we made was to replace the Sonic Frontier SFS-80 with Red Rose Music Model 2. Now the Red Rose is a much better known component than the Sonic Frontier, and costs as such too (more than three times the Sonic Frontier). Now the chain was: HP Elitebook > Nuforce Icon HDP > Red Rose Music Model 2 > Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne. Another change that was made (I dont know what difference it might have made, but I just like to mention it here), the cable between the amp and the speaker was changed from Canare to Some 6N OFC solid core cable. Canare is no slouch by itself, but I have a feeling the additional purity of copper in this cable, plus this cable being solid core may be a factor. Also, the sheathing in the two cables was of different type. Whatever that may be responsible for.

As usual, I started with Diana Krall and moved down the tracks in the same sequence. The difference if perception was not immediately perceivable. Same silky smooth presentation, same wide expansive sound-stage, similarly extended highs. The difference however became immediately apparent the moment I pushed up the volume. If you remember, during second round I had experienced that the speakers were unable to go loud without losing composure and we thought it was the speakers. Hell no, it was the amp!

Apparently, the Sonic Frontier (an 80wpc amp) was unable to supply enough current to the speakers as it needed at those volume levels. On the other hand, the Red Rose Music just controlled the speakers effortlessly, and the speakers performed beautifully. Both my test tracks for testing low-end extensions (Touch and Go, and Hotel California) came out with flying colors. Next I played Thriller by Michael Jackson (Okay, selection of this track warrants a separate paragraph of its own. Later!). This track is my test-by-fire for sound-stage test. And oh my, Jesus! Did the setup blow my mind!! For the first time in my life I heard that door opening with such remarkable realism, as if I was really there, it seemed to be just 3-4 feet away from me. For the first time in my life I heard Michael walking across the 40-feetish wide stage with his footsteps placed so accurately on the stage. I was amused, astounded, spellbound, numb all at the same time. I was listening to less than INR 1M of components and I just couldnt believe such high quality music reproduction was possible to achieve under that amount.

With this change of amp, the system had just become a lot more involving. Now the sound was very-very close to being present live at the recording venue.

[Coming up next, the same setup with the Benchmark DAC :)]

I feel sorry for having wasted 4 posts in the beginning. I thought I would just go on writing so reserved the space. Too bad, it didnt work that way, and now I cant edit those posts.

Incredible thread Ranjeet :clapping:

And very well written too!!!

I envy your opportunity to sample some real great sounding equipment...

BTW...Evolution's site mentions Audire as their dealer...

Thanks Soulforged, more to come :)

I am really glad it is available in India. Last I checked the dealer list I hadn't seen it, or may be I missed.

Thanks Soulforged, more to come :)

I am really glad it is available in India. Last I checked the dealer list I hadn't seen it, or may be I missed.

Audire sells the 'trinity'
Dartzeel / Playback / Evolution
These 3 are 'partners' [off the record] & are played together....
Hence I suggested the 'golden' int amp from Geneva for this speaker - it is a 100 % perfect match.
The Speaker was 'developed' on that same amplifier with the Playback Design 5 CD Player.

This is the 'older' model :-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you are to buy this speaker - consider the Golden Int Amp & no other - they are 'matched' ! just my humble suggestion....

BTW...Evolution's site mentions Audire as their dealer...
All the 3 are sold in India - Same Dealer - Audire - Coimbatore - Great Dealer / Has Stock & offers home demo too.
p.s. They just got the French Devailet into India - excellent 1 box solution - also may be 'considered' for this speaker - very high WAF too;;;:yahoo:

Ranjeet, did you do the same tests with MM3 ? Sounded effortless to me when i listened and that too using the EL34 RWA tube amp. Also the RWA Tube amp was 25W. Did you know that ?

Ranjeet, did you do the same tests with MM3 ? Sounded effortless to me when i listened and that too using the EL34 RWA tube amp. Also the RWA Tube amp was 25W. Did you know that ?
Is the Bass in the MM 3 not active ? Therefore a 'low' powered tube amplifier can drive the speaker - since the bass is active & has its own amplification....

BTW all MJ's Albums were done by Bruce Sweden & therefore the recordings are all top notch - I hold all his works in high regard.....:clapping:

Arub, the MMThree part was the most puzzling part of this audition. I will have to be very careful about how I express myself. I cannot knock out an INR 500k speaker due to my ignorance/lack of diligence on my part.

I have many times laid back on sofa trying to go back into the audition with the help of my own memory, voice notes and recording (audio and visuals). Please wait for it, I am soon going to post the impression on MMThree.

Ranjeet, am going to check out Thriller tonight.

Sure Arub. There are many versions of this track. Some start right from the music, others begin with a prelude. Duplicates discarded I have at least three versions of this track. The copy on my demo disc is a jitter free rip from a compilation album released post MJ's demise.

PM me your email, please. I have been wanting to PM you for last 2-3 days, but I can't, since you are new here, and it takes a minimum number of posts.

Last edited:
Audire sells the 'trinity'
Dartzeel / Playback / Evolution
These 3 are 'partners' [off the record] & are played together....
Hence I suggested the 'golden' int amp from Geneva for this speaker - it is a 100 % perfect match.
The Speaker was 'developed' on that same amplifier with the Playback Design 5 CD Player.

This is the 'older' model :-

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you are to buy this speaker - consider the Golden Int Amp & no other - they are 'matched' ! just my humble suggestion....

Thanks bhagwan.

Yes, I checked their site and saw that they are dealing with some serious gear. If I were in India I would have called them to setup an audition.

Btw, do they have dedicated demo rooms? From the website I couldn't see much beyond the product description. I am looking at acquiring an Ayre front-end before I invest in serious gear at this level.

Is the Bass in the MM 3 not active ? Therefore a 'low' powered tube amplifier can drive the speaker - since the bass is active & has its own amplification....

MMThree is a complex speaker. Yes, it has an active "module". The speaker is "modular". The first of its type I auditioned. More details coming :)

BTW all MJ's Albums were done by Bruce Sweden & therefore the recordings are all top notch - I hold all his works in high regard.....:clapping:

I fully concur. Too bad a lot of "audiophiles" frown upon using an MJ track as a reference. For them any popular music has no right being used as a reference track much less be referred to as audiophile grade. If I compile a list of 100 tracks for an audiophile collection, I can easily list 3-4 MJ numbers among them.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back