Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne

Round 5: HP Elitebook > Nuforce Icon HDP > Red Rose Music Model 2 > MMThree

Round 5: HP Elitebook > Nuforce Icon HDP > Red Rose Music Model 2 > Evolution Acoustics MMThree

[IMG2]http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/MM3_blk.jpg[/IMG2]

Now that I was quite satisfied how the system was sounding, I became more interested in other Evolution Acoustics offerings. All this while when MicroOnes kept me surprised, MMThree kept me curious. I kept wondering just how magnificent they might sound.

Those speakers are giant-sized. They stand over 6 feet tall and feature 5-drivers in a modular configuration. Two 5-inch ceramic cone mid-range woofers and two 15-inch sub-subwoofer they deliver an earth shaking frequency response down to 10Hz. Their highs extend up to supersonic 40 KHz range. They offer the widest frequency response (+-3Hz) in the entire Evolution range. The speaker are designed to be "modular" and the system Three consists of 3 modules [SIZE="-1"](See the pictures)[/SIZE] including an active module. Needless to say these speakers are intimidating, to say the least. So, I went into the audition, a bit intimidated, a bit anxious as to what was I going to experience.

Chain remained the same as earlier, sans the cables. The cable used from the amp to the speaker this time was some boutique brand that I cant recall right now. The chain now was: HP Elitebook > Nuforce Icon HDP > Red Rose Music Model 2 > Evolution Acoustics MMThree

The playback started with minimum fuss. The sound was of course bigger and much more effortless, relaxed. However, it didnt take me over like I was anticipating. But, I have to blame myself for that; I went into auditioning it with very high expectations. It went loud, very loud, with remarkable ease. However, thats that. It didnt offer me any audible advantages over MMMicroOne at 14 times the price. But again, here I have to blame myself, for auditioning MMMicroOne first. In fact, not being impressed with the MMThree is to the credit of MMMicroOne. That speaker performed so well, it did so much, that even the bigger boys from the same house costing several folds over found it difficult to improve over it in a significant manner.

The characteristic of sound was BIG, effortless. However, the integration was missing. The sound didnt appear to emerge from one source. I could hear multiple speakers. Transition between the mid-range and woofers wasnt smooth; it just felt like two giant sub-woofers per channel, i.e. four sub-woofers had been brought from outside and added to the system. In my books, it was a failure of design. The designers of the MMThree should make a note of this.

[IMG2]http://www.evolutionacoustics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/MMThreeBackPanel.jpg[/IMG2]

HOWEVER, let me immediately step into defend the MMThree. Was I listening to it the way it was designed to? No, I wasnt! Was the listening room suitable for such gigantic speaker? No, it wasnt. This speaker is probably designed (or at least is suitable) for large spaces. And when I say large, I mean really LARGE, very LARGE; may be 800-2000 square feet, with high ceiling; 12-15 feet. It is essentially a BIG speaker for LARGE spaces. And sitting a few feet away from them trying to audition them was like putting them in a close near field situation. No wonder I was hearing distortion. Now here, again, I have to be very careful. When I say I was hearing distortion, I am dead sure I was hearing it. What caused it could be a subject of inspection. May be the speakers had been over driven (very highly unlikely, because Li Min Audio only had low powered tube amps in that demo room). Or maybe the woofers had become loose during transportation. May be there was a problem in the assembly (Im sure those giants dont come pre-assembled like that) that was causing external vibration. Any number of reasons is possible. But the fact remained that I was hearing distortion, much like you hear when you listen to any average speaker from a close-range. And here in this case, sitting a few feet apart from these monsters was indeed a close-range. Close enough to let me hear the distortion.

Like I pointed out earlier, at 10-40,000 Hz (-3 dB) these are among the widest FR speakers if not THE widest FR speaker. Only Magico 7 comes close. However, the quality of bass is something different. The bass was effortless but not immediate. And to be honest, I didnt expect to be auditioning this speaker so I didnt really have appropriate material with me that could actually test the quality of bass. But I felt, from the brief time I spent with them, that the bass could be tighter. Again, this is my personal subjective opinion. They could be just fine for others.

All in all, it was an amusing and anxious audition, that didnt leave me speechless. Given a chance I would surely like to put this speaker through its paces again, however, the market for such speakers is small. At least I am not a potential buyer, not until I win KBC. So, maybe I will just live with the fact that this speaker is not for consumers like me. I much prefer the MMMicroOne at 1/14th the cost. But buyers with bigger wallet, bigger spaces may be highly rewarded with acquisition of such a beauty.

^^The issue with big speakers like these is that they need amps with serious grunt - a minimum of 400-500W of clean power to control those huge drivers. Also they need a massive room to work well. In a small room like the dealer's, this is not going to work.

I'm sure if these issues are sorted out, they'll sing in a different league.

^^The issue with big speakers like these is that they need amps with serious grunt - a minimum of 400-500W of clean power to control those huge drivers. Also they need a massive room to work well. In a small room like the dealer's, this is not going to work.

I'm sure if these issues are sorted out, they'll sing in a different league.

Yes, the room size I have taken into consideration. I have already made a mention of that in the review.

HOWEVER, the amp power isn't really relevant here, because the base drivers have their own built-in power module. See the second pic. The lower base module is an active one with a complex circuitry and external interface and also powers the upper base module through a thick proprietary cable.

Hi Ranjeet,

Is there an Opera Consonance dealer in Shanghai that you have been to? Really need to check how much a 'Die Walkure' turntable costs in China. In case you end up going there, do let me know!:)

In a large city like Shanghai there must be a number of sellers selling Consonance, as it's a very reputed product. The challenge is to find those sellers. I hope I will come across them in due course.

Sure, I will keep in mind your query when roaming around. If I see it, I'll ask the price :)

Last edited:
My biggest deterrent from super expensive hifi gear apart from money is finding good recordings. Majority of the things I and my family listen to never got recorded properly to begin with :( so it will never make sense for me to look at anything in the range of the mmmicroone :( Hopefully those who buy gear of that grade have recordings that can do such gear justice.

Hey Ranjeet if you ever come across any electrocompaniets please let me know!

Hopefully those who buy gear of that grade have recordings that can do such gear justice.

It is very true that as the system becomes more transparent, more of one's collection becomes less listenable. But fine music, well recorded, played on a fine system is bliss of a higher order.

PS: Bruce Swedien's work are masterclass grade. One fine example is Sergio Mendes' Brasileiro.

In a large city like Shanghai there must be a number of sellers selling Consonance, as it's a very reputed product. The challenge is to find those sellers. I hope I will come across them in due course.

Sure, I will keep in mind your query when roaming around. If I see it, I'll ask the price :)

Thanks a ton, Ranjeet! Much appreciated:)

Upgraditis

My biggest deterrent from super expensive hifi gear apart from money is finding good recordings. Majority of the things I and my family listen to never got recorded properly to begin with :( so it will never make sense for me to look at anything in the range of the mmmicroone :( Hopefully those who buy gear of that grade have recordings that can do such gear justice.

Yes, availability of high quality recordings is a big matter of concern. As a child I could play my Yamaha keyboard on a cheap amp and speaker, use the same amp and speaker to play music and be perfectly happy with it. Now, with more and more money going into hifi, the search for good recordings is a night mare. The higher you go up, the more selective you need to become. Exactly the reason I stopped upgrading my headphones after HD 650. I was so tempted to go for a Denon D7000 or an Ultrasone. But what's the fun in having headphones that will shrink the size of my listenable library even further.

But still, that audiophile bug called Upgraditis, can't help it. Need to buy stuff every ones in a while to stay itch-free.

Last edited:
Bruce Swedien's work are masterclass grade.

Quincy Jones will not accept anything less than that. They of course made a great team.

One also has to admire Michael's own enthusiasm over the course of production. The semi biography of Michael (This is It) has some footages that reveal the side of Michael that most of the world didn't know about.

Sure Arub. There are many versions of this track. Some start right from the music, others begin with a prelude. Duplicates discarded I have at least three versions of this track. The copy on my demo disc is a jitter free rip from a compilation album released post MJ's demise.

PM me your email, please. I have been wanting to PM you for last 2-3 days, but I can't, since you are new here, and it takes a minimum number of posts.

Ranjeet, very thoughtful review of the MM3. Thank you for making the effort.

My impression of the MM3's are a little diferrent from yours. I listened to the Rachmininov Piano Concerts, Dire Straits and some Jazz. Did not leave me with a disconnected feeling. I listened to the MM3 before I brought home the Micro 1's and found that the Micro 1's supressed some of the elements(in my room) which were crystal clear in the MM3(at Ho's). At that time the MM3's were powered by a Mark Levinson, Primare CD Transport and Benchmark DAC and the Micro 1's i bought were powered by my Opera Tube amp, Macintosh CD Transport and Benchmark DAC1. Ho bought the same music we listened to in his shop to my home when we came back to assemble the Micro one's, the same evening.

Also i like listening in Ho's room because it is not treated, nor equipment and seating placed by golden measurement rules and provides a more real life environment. Makes me concentrate more on my music these days.

PM me at pmarun at hotmail, i could not find a way to PM you.

I listened to MJ's Thats IT compilation after I came back today. It is just awsome, crystal clear highs, tight bass. CD2 has MJ reading out the lyrics, it sounded so real that my 4 year old daughter thought that there was some one else in the room. A'int square rooms supposed to be bad for sound reproduction ?;)

Hi Ranjeet,

Is there an Opera Consonance dealer in Shanghai that you have been to? Really need to check how much a 'Die Walkure' turntable costs in China. In case you end up going there, do let me know!:)

I think it is better to Contact Opera directly and ask for their shanghai dealer. Pretty helpful group of people. Recently I was told that the shanghai dealer i bought my Opera CD player and Amp closed business. I have also seen another shop in shanghai carry opera products.

My dad had a Garrard(misspelt ?) turntable, i was looking for it when i was on vacation this year and realized that i had given it away to a friend many years back. :sad: Kind of gave up on that idea. Do you get to buy LP's in India these days ?

This is very true, i have this tamil CD of Ilayaraja's hits from the 80's and they sound like mono recordings. It is that chance collection where all the tracks are gems. However the music is still enjoyable but yes u dont need those uber equipment to enjoy them.

Ranjeet, very thoughtful review of the MM3. Thank you for making the effort.

My impression of the MM3's are a little diferrent from yours. I listened to the Rachmininov Piano Concerts, Dire Straits and some Jazz. Did not leave me with a disconnected feeling. I listened to the MM3 before I brought home the Micro 1's and found that the Micro 1's supressed some of the elements(in my room) which were crystal clear in the MM3(at Ho's). At that time the MM3's were powered by a Mark Levinson, Primare CD Transport and Benchmark DAC and the Micro 1's i bought were powered by my Opera Tube amp, Macintosh CD Transport and Benchmark DAC1. Ho bought the same music we listened to in his shop to my home when we came back to assemble the Micro one's, the same evening.

I am glad you liked MMThree. So, now I have an idea. When are you upgrading? Please sell me your MMMicroOnes at half price :yahoo:

Also i like listening in Ho's room because it is not treated, nor equipment and seating placed by golden measurement rules and provides a more real life environment. Makes me concentrate more on my music these days.

Agree. I also don't like auditioning in "heavily made-up" demo rooms. It's too far away from how you will listen in a normal household. Acoustic treatment is like make-up, they should be done only when they are doing something very nasty to the sound, or are a real deal killer. Too much of a treatment can make a room sonically dead.

Email on the way. Glad to hear about MJ album. Enjoy it!!

My dad had a Garrard(misspelt ?) turntable, i was looking for it when i was on vacation this year and realized that i had given it away to a friend many years back. :sad: Kind of gave up on that idea. Do you get to buy LP's in India these days ?

Lucky chap who got the TT. Will the real recipient please stand up and acknowledge :p

I think it is better to Contact Opera directly and ask for their shanghai dealer. Pretty helpful group of people. Recently I was told that the shanghai dealer i bought my Opera CD player and Amp closed business. I have also seen another shop in shanghai carry opera products.

Yup- that's a good idea, will do that:). You get new LPs in stores now, for prices around the US prices. Also for some Hindustani classical or even older Hindi film music, the CD masters are so excrutiatingly awful that you have to hunt out the LPs, no matter how scratched up they are!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back