excel dvds - pathetic quality

nandac

a year or so back i had bought the star wars trilogy (the earlier one) which was a excel dvd product.

i watched it then and the quality was good.

then a couple of days back i watched it again. i watched 'star wars' and 'empire strikes back'. after that i reached for 'return of the jedi' and the dvd simply cracked when i tried to pull it out of its case! i have see some dvds which are held so tight that you have to bend/pull them out of that clasp. but with this dvd it was not even held that tight and i didn't even try to force it out. just slight additional pressure and it cracked.

when i used to live in the usa, i used to be embarassed at the poor quality of indian aerograms which i used to receive as letters from my family. likewise plastic toys being sold on the streets of chennai etc. now i guess quality issues even extend to branded dvds. anything to cut costs and increase profits i guess.

Few days back, I had ordered a DVD of 'I am Kalam' from flipKart. (Don't remember it's from Excel video or not).
The DVD came into great packing. Covers, packing of DVD and DVD itself looked pretty good.
But when I played the DVD, I saw that picture quality was not at all good. (Not even a 576i DVD it was). Even movie was not recorded in proper aspect ratio. There were horizontal and vertical black bars. To overcome this, one has to utilize the zoom function of TV. Really pathetic !!
What I expect from a DVD, that it should at least come in proper aspect ratio (Anamorphic 16:9), so that it should be displayed properly in its original aspect ratio by default.

Last edited:
very true, my experience

last year during my visit to US I picked up couple of DVDs $5 each - guess what? it was a different film than what it was showing, it took me some time to accept that reality

I bought a thin box set BDs of 3 films at $20 from the walmart - guess what? 2 films were region free and the third one Region A - ridiculous

I don't think whenever we are paying for a brand we are assured of quality unless we judge it critically

Eagle video DVDs are just as bad. They even print wrong information on the covers. One of the discs that i had bought long time back was of 'Johnny English'. The cover said 16:9 but the movie was in 4:3 form. I've never bought an Eagle DVD since then.

Eagle!!

Eagle video DVDs are just as bad. They even print wrong information on the covers. One of the discs that i had bought long time back was of 'Johnny English'. The cover said 16:9 but the movie was in 4:3 form. I've never bought an Eagle DVD since then.

Yes!! For most of their old DVDs, they printed 2.35:1 or 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen even though the movie was 4:3 full screen.

Barely any of their widescreen movies were encoded 16:9, they were either cropped or letterboxed.

Hope they improve!! :licklips:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back