Expenses in importing drivers from madisound

Vineethkumar01

Hi,
Does anyone know how much extra it will cost when we import drivers to India bought from
For example, if I buy a 500$ set of drivers (+typical 150$ shipping), how much extra would it cost after customs duty and everything.
Also if you have any experience importing drivers from madisound, how much time will it typically take to reach here (in addition to the estimated shipping time of about 1 week).

Thanks
Vineeth

Hi Vineeth, think I mentioned this in another thread, duty is typically 30% CIF value. This is an approximation it can each 35%, also they will often assume 1-2% insurance if insurance is not listed on the invoice.

I have never imported from Madisound but the time it takes is dependent on mode of transportation, such as sea or air. Apart from shipping customs can be quick or delayed, it is a coin toss. If you use the likes of Fedex or DHL then they usually take 2-3 days to clear things, assuming you provide all the documents they require.

Hope this helps.

Hi Vineeth, think I mentioned this in another thread, duty is typically 30% CIF value. This is an approximation it can each 35%, also they will often assume 1-2% insurance if insurance is not listed on the invoice.

I have never imported from Madisound but the time it takes is dependent on mode of transportation, such as sea or air. Apart from shipping customs can be quick or delayed, it is a coin toss. If you use the likes of Fedex or DHL then they usually take 2-3 days to clear things, assuming you provide all the documents they require.

Hope this helps.
Thank you @Decadent_Spectre
Yes you had mentioned about 30% in my last thread.
I was a bit confused because I saw some posts where 50 % etc was mentioned..

Thank you @Decadent_Spectre
Yes you had mentioned about 30% in my last thread.
I was a bit confused because I saw some posts where 50 % etc was mentioned..

It's been a while since I imported anything, but I have never paid more than 30-35%, this includes both ready speakers and drivers. Unless the rules have drastically changed in the tariffs I think this should still be applicable.

In March, I had ordered ES100 bluetooth receiver from Radsone priced at 75USD including courier. Shipping was handled by DHL
Customs valued it at 5600 INR.

The following were the duty details:
Custom Duty + Surcharge: 11 per cent = Rs. 616 (Duty is charged on invoice value + shipping charges)
IGST: 28 per cent = Rs. 1,740 (IGST is charged on invoice value + shipping + duty)
Additionally DHL charged Rs. 600 as handling charges.

The actual I paid was Rs. 5350 to Radsone and my landing cost was Rs. 8306.
The effective import charge was Rs. 2956 or 55% on the invoice price.

With DHL and Fedex, be careful as they will push for demurrage charges if there is custom delay even after we submit documents in time.

Hi,
Does anyone know how much extra it will cost when we import drivers to India bought from
For example, if I buy a 500$ set of drivers (+typical 150$ shipping), how much extra would it cost after customs duty and everything.
Also if you have any experience importing drivers from madisound, how much time will it typically take to reach here (in addition to the estimated shipping time of about 1 week).

Thanks
Vineeth
what are you intending to buy?

I bought a driver from Madisound in July this year. They shipped the day I purchased the item.

The total duty that I paid was about 40%. I have an IEC and that would have also helped in the lower customs duty. Can dig out the details if required

Last edited by a moderator:
what are you intending to buy?
Thank you for the reply. I dont have an IEC
The driver I was looking for is this one: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...24p-8-9.5-egyptian-papyrus-cone-woofer-8-ohm/
It used to be available in India and I have bought the same from audiofy.in in the past.
Since last 2 months, it has been out of stock. I am in contact with the audiofy.in also regarding this but they have not replied back to my latest queries. Hence, I was wondering about what would be the cost in importing these drivers and started this thread. But from all the replies I got so far, importing these seems like a disaster price wise. Last time I bought them, it costed me about 36 K for two drivers in India.. :D

Vineeth, importing is expensive,time consuming and a hassle. I only import when I must and don't recommend it for individuals unless it is a small and relatively cheap item. I may be importing some audio equipment in the near future, if you'd like I can provide feedback vis a vis import duty though it will be a while yet, a month or two at the very least.

Thank you for the reply. I dont have an IEC
The driver I was looking for is this one: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...24p-8-9.5-egyptian-papyrus-cone-woofer-8-ohm/
It used to be available in India and I have bought the same from audiofy.in in the past.
Since last 2 months, it has been out of stock. I am in contact with the audiofy.in also regarding this but they have not replied back to my latest queries. Hence, I was wondering about what would be the cost in importing these drivers and started this thread. But from all the replies I got so far, importing these seems like a disaster price wise. Last time I bought them, it costed me about 36 K for two drivers in India.. :D
you get an IEC online within a couple of days. It is very simple.

Vineeth, importing is expensive,time consuming and a hassle. I only import when I must and don't recommend it for individuals unless it is a small and relatively cheap item. I may be importing some audio equipment in the near future, if you'd like I can provide feedback vis a vis import duty though it will be a while yet, a month or two at the very least.
Thanks a lot. I have completely abandoned the idea of importing this item for now.. :D
I will wait for your feedback after you import your equipment. :)

you get an IEC online within a couple of days. It is very simple.
Thank you. Even with IEC, the cost is too high to be justified. So i am abandoning this idea of importing these drivers for now.. :)

Thanks a lot. I have completely abandoned the idea of importing this item for now.. :D
I will wait for your feedback after you import your equipment. :)

Sure will post here or PM you after I get it.

You are correct though, the costs go out of control, there is shipping and duty + any other extra charges such as demurrage or clearing charges if you use your own agent.

It should only be done when something is very important to you and is not available locally. On a whim it might not be such a good idea, especially if alternatives may be available locally and you are not very particular.

Edit: If your looking for a 10" woofer, consider 18Sound or Eminence on a budget.

Sure will post here or PM you after I get it.

You are correct though, the costs go out of control, there is shipping and duty + any other extra charges such as demurrage or clearing charges if you use your own agent.

It should only be done when something is very important to you and is not available locally. On a whim it might not be such a good idea, especially if alternatives may be available locally and you are not very particular.

Edit: If your looking for a 10" woofer, consider 18Sound or Eminence on a budget.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding 18Sound and eminence.
This requirement of the 2 Satori woofers is for a particular build for which I already have 2 of the same drivers in hand. If I change the drivers now, I will need to get 4 nos of the new driver.
So, I will wait a bit to see if these become available soon and if it is not all available I will explore other woofers/other brands.. :)

Thanks for the suggestion regarding 18Sound and eminence.
This requirement of the 2 Satori woofers is for a particular build for which I already have 2 of the same drivers in hand. If I change the drivers now, I will need to get 4 nos of the new driver.
So, I will wait a bit to see if these become available soon and if it is not all available I will explore other woofers/other brands.. :)

If all else fails, you could just use one woofer per speaker, assuming you want to build stereo speakers.

If all else fails, you could just use one woofer per speaker, assuming you want to build stereo speakers.
Yes. :D In fact the original design was done with just 1 woofer per speaker. But then i overthought, changed plans, and thought about a reusable bass module with 2 woofers per speaker..
As you said, if all else fails, i will go with the one woofer option.. :)

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back