Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 - importing to India

pankajsr

Hi Folks,
I was thinking of buying Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 (basically, have it imported to India) through site like MyUs.
The combine cost of Nakamichi ($1299) + FedEx economic shipping ($532) = $1831.

I would want to know following from experienced folks here:
1. What is the Customs duty (+ taxes, if any) that I will have to pay on import to India ?
2. Is the Duty pay seamless (i.e. online without any interaction with govt. officials) ?
3. Is there a different ( and perhaps easier/cost-effective way) to import ?
4. Would your recommend this or go for something like Sennheiser Ambeo (available in India, but costly) ?

Thank you much for your inputs.

Be careful with FexEx via MyUS. The $532 is perhaps a quote you got through the MyUS site. If you check the FedEx website, you will realize that FedEx as a courier does not operate in India but delivers international parcels via local colloboration. Their process is such that, once the parcel reaches Indian customs, they will charge what they call - storage charges (essentiall these are shipping charges of their contracted collobarating courier service) and over that you will have to pay customs duty + GST, etc wich they will pay on your behalf and invoice you. There is no visibility with regard to what FexEx paid the Govt of India as FexEx will give you their own invoice for customs duty. Roughly your customs duty will turn out to be 100%. They are very unresponsive for any clarification requested and operate with the mindset that the customer will do anything to get the parcel released and delivered. Many of my friends have used these US-based forwarding services with disasterous commerical results.

Note - also one aspect to keep in mind is that the MyUS online shipping quote is based on assumptions. They will always provide a revised quote once the package arrives and they measure it and weigh it. I have always felt that online shipping quotes are usually pegged at about 15-20% lower than the actual, in order to attract a potential customer. Once the custoemr signs up and the item arrives at the forwarding facility, the customer will obviously be obliged to pay what they ask for shipping :)

Last edited:
Be careful with FexEx ... obviously be obliged to pay what they ask for shipping :)

Thank you for replying. After posting this question, I came across these 2 threads:

1. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/the-customs-duty-thread.87386/
2. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/all-about-importing-stuff-and-custom-duty.77678/

Common consensus seems to be there is no certain way to determine what you'll pay, the figure wildly ranges from 35% - 70+% , from sour experiences to just-made-it-through.
Seems like a very risky proposition. I really cant imagine myself having to pay 70% duty or thereabouts. Just insane.

Thank you for replying. After posting this question, I came across these 2 threads:

1. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/the-customs-duty-thread.87386/
2. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/all-about-importing-stuff-and-custom-duty.77678/

Common consensus seems to be there is no certain way to determine what you'll pay, the figure wildly ranges from 35% - 70+% , from sour experiences to just-made-it-through.
Seems like a very risky proposition. I really cant imagine myself having to pay 70% duty or thereabouts. Just insane.
the modus operandi of US forwarding agents and the India courier partners is always very simple - once the customer orders the item, they will always be very keen to receive and will just pay up :)
For FedEx in India, the customs + storage charges + GST is 100% (customs valuations includes shipping paid in the US). It is usually less with DHL ranging in somewhere around the 50-60% mark as they dont charge for storage (and its associated GST), however DHL shipping options offered for forwarding agents on the US side are very expensive.
GST is a killer :rolleyes:

Hi Folks,
I was thinking of buying Nakamichi Shockwafe Elite 7.2.4 (basically, have it imported to India) through site like MyUs.

1. What is the Customs duty (+ taxes, if any) that I will have to pay on import to India ?
2. Is the Duty pay seamless (i.e. online without any interaction with govt. officials) ?
4. Would your recommend this or go for something like Sennheiser Ambeo (available in India, but costly) ?

1. If you have a GST it can be 35-40% else assume it to be upto 80%
2. With Fedex, yes as they do the clearing.
3. Best is hand carry as you get a 50K reduction in value for duty but size is a factor here.
4. Perhaps yes as cost wise including duty you might end up with a lot more on Nakamichi.

Hi Folks,

Pls check about the opinions from their users regarding Myus site and how responsive their staff is towards grievances.Pls check if anyone from Hfv has any experience of ordering from them.
Would suggest you to be wary before taking any decision.

Be careful with FexEx via MyUS. The $532 is perhaps a quote you got through the MyUS site. If you check the FedEx website, you will realize that FedEx as a courier does not operate in India but delivers international parcels via local colloboration. Their process is such that, once the parcel reaches Indian customs, they will charge what they call - storage charges (essentiall these are shipping charges of their contracted collobarating courier service) and over that you will have to pay customs duty + GST, etc wich they will pay on your behalf and invoice you. There is no visibility with regard to what FexEx paid the Govt of India as FexEx will give you their own invoice for customs duty. Roughly your customs duty will turn out to be 100%. They are very unresponsive for any clarification requested and operate with the mindset that the customer will do anything to get the parcel released and delivered. Many of my friends have used these US-based forwarding services with disasterous commerical results.

Note - also one aspect to keep in mind is that the MyUS online shipping quote is based on assumptions. They will always provide a revised quote once the package arrives and they measure it and weigh it. I have always felt that online shipping quotes are usually pegged at about 15-20% lower than the actual, in order to attract a potential customer. Once the custoemr signs up and the item arrives at the forwarding facility, the customer will obviously be obliged to pay what they ask for shipping :)
PERFECT Reuben! My experience with MyUS and another service offered by Amex were sad to say the least. Yes, it first travels to central America, then to a base in America, then fedex takes to europe, generally London. Then some airline brings to India. The track is lost and then there is perhaps to-and-fro at customs. All that you have written above is 100% correct. That has been happening for years now. No change. When delivery happens, with me, it was Indian Post and they said that if I did not pay duty (which was INR 18k), I will not get the parcel.
You may like to take a sample check with Amazon. They send duty paid. I had been making purchases from Germany, UK, NL etc, not in the recent past, but I have some stuff in the cart, attempting to check with a small risk. Not sure if I would take that risk.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back