Experiencing Jamo c803 and Monitor Audio gold GX50 and ELAC 184

Regardless of what people say about auditioning, it is of no use especially in our situation.
Each and every room has its own sound signature. Our own audio memory is very short and tends to be exaggerated.

I had read and auditioned Wharfedale 10 series and NAD and everyone was against the combination. It sounded dull in the showroom where I heard it. Later I bought it and in my room it really was superb.
Heard NAD with PSB speakers in Delhi and was impressed by them. Heard the same combination at a friend's house and the bass was very over-powering.
Tried Parasound amp with Definitive speakers at another friend's house and the same combination in my house sounded terrible.
Tried Marantz amplification with Definitive speakers and the sound was excellent in one place. After a day I again heard the same system and found it terrible with midrange.

I can can go on and on. My suggestion is to borrow a system from a friend and listen to it in your room. You will understand the difference in sound quality. Running around will just make you loose money.

Go for a blind purchase ? Yes if you can afford to experiment and sell. No, if you can't do that. In that case, try to learn about the sound in your room and then buy a system and acoustic treatment as per your requirements.

A very live but small room will prefer a laid back bookshelf. A largish dull room might do well with bright floor standers. A squarish room might be happy with rear bass ports with speakers well in the room. Somewhere else you might require speakers near the walls with front or side firing bass port/drivers.

This would probably one of the best advice one can give on speaker purchase. I have experienced exactly the similar experience when I got my KEFs for the first time. It sounded so well in the demo room and in my own living room it was not even 60% closer to the sound I heard in the demo. Then I realized that its all due to my room playing spoil sport. Null and Peaks, non-uniform bass, exaggerated highs, mushy mid-range and vocals etc etc. Then I realized that room and room treatment is equally important for an audio gear to sound well. So I decided to spend money on treating my dedicated room in my new house. I have a feeling that in a properly treated room, even a less expensive speaker would sound good.

I wish I could have done a home audition before I could buy the speakers and amps. But its not possible in most of the places in India :(

Thanks,
John.

This would probably one of the best advice one can give on speaker purchase.

I had missed his post by Shivam..but it is quite true

most people get scared on hearing this but reality is even if you do hear it in a showroom it is "Blind" as performance in ones on system/room is anyway totally different

Just that the due diligence in getting there needs to be well done so you are sure of the sonic signature..and in cases where you can find no reviews on Non-Adulatory ownership reports..thats one time you do need to hear it at least with familiar amplification

Problem with ownership reports is everyone will have only the nest view on their own equipment and decision :lol:

Hey lucksin,

Is it my right guess that you auditioned the GX 50 at B & T?

And the Jamos somewhere in Gurgaon, some mall?

Regardless of what people say about auditioning, it is of no use especially in our situation.
Each and every room has its own sound signature. Our own audio memory is very short and tends to be exaggerated.

Shivam : somehow i feared this if it to happen to me and yet this is the best advice i have heard upfront in long time.

i auditioned Dali and R Acoustic yesterday and to think of it each one has their plus and minus. for some, minus only limit to cost. To think of it over the month what ever i have auditioned i dont remember much yet i think i started liking listening to different sound signatures from different manufacturers. how does a laid back speaker sound, what are upfront sounding speakers, Horn speakers and their leisure's. and even after my purchase i might just keep listening brands.

I ausitioned Dali yesterday and Listening to them was a bliss i auditioned Mentor 2 costing 1.3 L and i quite liked it. however dali has 2 tweeter and was a little bright. but they were strong on Bass. i almost felt there's a sub around somewhere working me not knowing. Listening to Hotel California was so balanced that i had to play it twice to be sure of it being true. Vocal were amazing, to think of it MA gold seems lacking in that front even with a very good ribbon tweeter. Dali is all about detail and details.

as you mentioned about taking risk, the answer is yes i can but off course a calculated one. i know things not sound exactly the same and i am prepared for that. i will give Jamo;s one more listening session today and for dali as well and i will buy one out of two. i cant think of any other speaker coming to mind which is a pleasure listening to.

arj: problem with ownership report is once you put big money on equipment you will either become biased or might not come openly if you do not like it. I am atleast aware of one such scenario.

Update : Finally the battle has come down to Sonus Faber Monitors vs Dali Mentor 2.

Sonus fabers have lovely Mid Range but they lack a lot in low range which is in a way good. add a sub to do the work and it will be better done, however with dali's the low end is very good itself and i am not too sure how will it perform with a sub attached later. will the frequencies cross each other and make it muddier ? or will it blend better if i can set my sub crossover around 50Hz.

Price wise both are nearly same, look wise sonus are a stunner specially when they are on their stand.

anyone who have heard both may be on a different amp can comment ?

Which amp did you hear them with ?
Sonus fabers need a powerful amp to flesh them out completely .
Not very conversant with Dali

Last edited:
i heard sonus on Peachtree Hybrid(Not so good), Rotel (OK OK) and Cyrus monoblocks 250watts (Amazing).

if i go with sonus, i will start with a small to medium amp(arcom a19 or NAD) and later down the stage upgrade to cyrus 8A.

i think i am moving away from Dali's. heard them again yesterday and they seems too bright.

heard ravel performa m 105 and 106. i loved 105 and not 106 though but pricing is in the league of sonus and i believe sonus is a better package overall.

You can never go wrong with an SF. If you like the house sound then this will only get better with better Amplification/models. I don't know how the new models are as my exposure was more than 8 years back..

And they are but like or beautiful furniture !

For amps., those termed as aggressive with other speakers work very well with these.. In fact krell amps make a good pair with them so suggest taking it slow . Do try odyssey ..a stratos may work well

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back