Experiment with using car amplifier and sub in home theater.

It's 50amp model. Have set it to 13.75. View attachment 31417
It can go upto 14.75 but I don't want to take it to that as I fear to damage the smps.
It is bloody cheap as compared to meanwell. It cost me 2200rs.[/
QUOTE]

Yes... I have two of these, but Meanwell is of far superior build quality.
I was actually using this one only to power my Adcom car audio amp at home.

Finally got the time to tidy it up. Used braided cable sleeves for clean look.
This whole setup goes under the sofa so isn't visible at all. May be I will mount the amp and smps on a small plywood piece.
Here are the pics.

On a different note,
This is my first avr and hence first time having a powerful sub in home theater. Now I feel the bass is very good sometimes and sometimes it's not that good. I relate this property to a particular volume. Like at mid volumes its good. But at higher volumes bass starts to over power and at lower volumes the bass is a little too low. How to combat this?
Also though I don't have any knowledge about the technicalities but I feel the bass is a bit boomy I feel its something to do with decay time?
Also the subwoofer placement is awfully close to the seating area. And I virtually have no other space in my living room to place it.
But it's been a good journey up until now and I'm happy with the outcome.

Attachments

• IMG-20181110-WA0028.jpg
    IMG-20181110-WA0028.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20181110-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20181110-WA0029.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-20181110-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20181110-WA0030.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20181110-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20181110-WA0031.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 34
Though the sub location, design and crossover points play a role in quality, the amp you are using I think is the biggest bottle neck. Those V12s are poorly designed amps.

Though the sub location, design and crossover points play a role in quality, the amp you are using I think is the biggest bottle neck. Those V12s are poorly designed amps.
Yea i do know this amp isn't a good one. But this was an old amp that I will no longer use in my ICE install hence the experiment.
Since I am satisfied with the outcome I will keep an eye out for some mono amp. Also I will be looking out for a 10inch driver for better "fast" bass.
Meanwhile I have to find a way to improve performance in this setup.

Now I feel the bass is very good sometimes and sometimes it's not that good. I relate this property to a particular volume. Like at mid volumes its good. But at higher volumes bass starts to over power and at lower volumes the bass is a little too low. How to combat this?
Also though I don't have any knowledge about the technicalities but I feel the bass is a bit boomy I feel its something to do with decay time?
Also the subwoofer placement is awfully close to the seating area. And I virtually have no other space in my living room to place it.
But it's been a good journey up until now and I'm happy with the outcome.

Where have you placed the sub in the room ?..

From the measurements (REW) that i have done in my room, if you feel bass is boomy, then there is a peak at some freq and also a reason for extended decay time than other freq..

Where have you placed the sub in the room ?..

From the measurements (REW) that i have done in my room, if you feel bass is boomy, then there is a peak at some freq and also a reason for extended decay time than other freq..
It is in a corner near the back wall, between 2 sofas. That's the only option I have.
Unfortunately I don't have any equipment for measurements.

So I recently turned down the gain on my amp to about 1/3 (earlier it was at half) and raised the gain from avr to +3dB (earlier it was at -10dB) the result is much better bass which is neither over powering nor underpowered. And the boominess has also reduced.

Basically because 500rs smps would burn out in a couple of minutes because of the load. Or even if it doesn't burn out the amp won't be able to run.
Why bro. Many people on YouTube doing that. Actually m taking advice here coz i too want to hook car sub to my receiver

Why bro. Many people on YouTube doing that. Actually m taking advice here coz i too want to hook car sub to my receiver

Dear mate, The PSU (unless the gaming ones) with minimum 40 to 50 amps current rating are not advisable for long runs. Further car mono amps need minimum 10 gauge wiring, which means you will have to bunch all the 12 (yellow) volt wires on the PSU to get whatever minimum thickness is possible to handle the high current requirement.

For short term testing it is fine, but for long use it is a big NO unless you get the high priced gaming PSU's which will cost upwards of 8k.

Bro i have
Dear mate, The PSU (unless the gaming ones) with minimum 40 to 50 amps current rating are not advisable for long runs. Further car mono amps need minimum 10 gauge wiring, which means you will have to bunch all the 12 (yellow) volt wires on the PSU to get whatever minimum thickness is possible to handle the high current requirement.

For short term testing it is fine, but for long use it is a big NO unless you get the high priced gaming PSU's which will cost upwards of 8k.
2 channel v12 car amp. And 1200watt 300 sub....i want to hook it to yamaha yht 1840. Can i plug this sub to avr directly? If no then gow to power car amp? Pc psu would work as it is not a mono amp?

A least expensive PSU like Corsair VS 550 (80% power efficient, the bronze certification) should help right..

A least expensive PSU like Corsair VS 550 (80% power efficient, the bronze certification) should help right..

I would not recommend PSU for regular use. The one the OP is using is the best way to go about using car amps at home.

PC SMPS is regulated on 5Volt line only. The 12 volt is not regulated, it will sag to lower than 10v. Can only be used for testing.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back