External Hard Disk 24 x 7 Is It Safe?

I had recently bought a Seagate 1TB external hard disk which was connected to my wifi router.

This hard disk had movies of about 300GB, suddenly it went dead, the movies ended up with a electric cremation :indifferent14:. I have sent the disk to Seagate, i hope they will replace it.

I have been using Western Digital's hard disks for around 2 years, never a problem :licklips:.

V.

Last edited:
How much is 1TB WD My Book Essential external Hard Drive (powered)?
I see ebay the lowest at 3900Rs with 3yrs warranty. Any where less? I read somewhere that external is better than portable (usb powered). Is it?
Do post your inputs so that i can decide on purchase.

as per most HDD manufacturing companies - most HDD have a shelf life of 2-5 years when switched on 24/7 (this basically comes from guidelines for server HDDs when undergo rigorous schedules and workloads).

So for normal usage and consumer segment HDDSwe should be looking at 2-3 years at least unless something goes wrong - keep a backup of important data handy.

BTW my 40 GB seagate in my download rig is still going strong for over 4 years - for the last 1 year it has been on 24x7.

Who told you that HDD lasts for 2-5 years , in normal working condition it will lasts for many years to come. The main cause of HDD problems are related to bad handling and heavy jerks during playback or a fall from height but their are some manufacturing defects (cannot help afterall they are chinese product)

I have installed a Seagate HDD 500 GB in my Survillance System and it records data 24/7 for the last 2.5 years and not a single problem. The unit is working without any ventilation or fan except the inbuilt small instrument fan in the DVR recorder.

I got free replacement of my 1TB external hard disk, this was quite a relief. :yahoo:

I have now again connected the same to my wifi router, and hope there will be no problems. :indifferent14:

One of the problems which i face with such disk is that whenever the Internet speed drops the downloading of movies stop completely and i have to start it manually again once the speed picks up of Internet but when my western digital's hard disk is connected (without the router), even if the speed drops and regains, the downloading continues very well. It is quite a drawback when i have the disk connected to my router.

V.

I had recently bought a Seagate 1TB external hard disk which was connected to my wifi router.

This hard disk had movies of about 300GB, suddenly it went dead, the movies ended up with a electric cremation :indifferent14:. I have sent the disk to Seagate, i hope they will replace it.

I have been using Western Digital's hard disks for around 2 years, never a problem :licklips:.

V.

Last edited:
Good Vinay! So the seagate was in warranty period and replaced?

Iam still looking for 1TB WD My Book Essential external Hard Drive (powered). Is it available less than 3900Rs?

How much is 1TB WD My Book Essential external Hard Drive (powered)?
I see ebay the lowest at 3900Rs with 3yrs warranty. Any where less? I read somewhere that external is better than portable (usb powered). Is it?
Do post your inputs so that i can decide on purchase.
I would prefer a low form factor portable drive.
Any deals for a 2TB external/internal hard disk?:)
I will check for some good offer and let you know :)
I got free replacement of my 1TB external hard disk, this was quite a relief. :yahoo:

I have now again connected the same to my wifi router, and hope there will be no problems. :indifferent14:

One of the problems which i face with such disk is that whenever the Internet speed drops the downloading of movies stop completely and i have to start it manually again once the speed picks up of Internet but when my western digital's hard disk is connected (without the router), even if the speed drops and regains, the downloading continues very well. It is quite a drawback when i have the disk connected to my router.

V.
I wonder what is so surprising about you getting a "free" replacement during warranty ;) Dude, its a basic service, why did you think Seagate wont honor a claim for failed HDD???

Talking of internet blackouts - I dont see any relation to the HDD. Sometimes torrents congest the max TCP connections of a device (your router here) and hangs the TCP/IP stack causing these intermittent blackouts. Increasing or decreasing max TCP connection may reduce these issues.

V.

Just out of the topic,

You connected HDD to a router? Which one? Running with custom firmware?

I am just keen how the downloads in Torrents?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back