External HDD detection problem in Ps3

ashishkesarwani

Guys I have a spare 80gb 7200 Rpm HDD which is IDE port so I have purcahsed a USB casing for it with the external power adopter. I have formated it with a third party software in Fat32 format. I have also transfered apple lossless format music to that disk.

NOw comes the problem: I am not able to detect the HDD either in the Ps3 operating system nor in the Yellow Dog Linux Operating system. But its getting detected in windows without any problem and also my AVR but since my AVR doesn't support Apple Lossless so I have to use the same with Ps3 linux.

SO what am I doing wrong here? I know that the Ps3 operating system doesn't support apple lossless format music but it should atleast be detected there as a USB storage device and the same is not happening. I have installed FFMPEG in the linux which decodes Apple Lossless music but since my HDD is not detected there too so I am not able to use it.

Guys I need help here.

Does it not show as USB device external at all, or you able not see any files at all.

If you've USB external device listed then you can press the Triangle and click show all - shows all files

Does it not show as USB device external at all, or you able not see any files at all.

If you've USB external device listed then you can press the Triangle and click show all - shows all files

In my case it doesn't even show the external usb device.

I suggest you keep a backup of the files ina safe location otherwise it could be problematic.Take the HDD outside the case and try once again if you can. I too have a similar problem with a 1TB external HDD that has a lot of content-not my music though!

George

ps3 only detects 5400 rpm hdd not 7200 rpm
Are you sure? Any pointers to where this is mentioned?

I don't think this is an issue. It's just that the higher HDD speed probably does not have much of an added advantage with respect to PS3.

In this case could 'IDE' be the issue? I'm not sure if IDE drives are recognized by PS3s.

Are you sure? Any pointers to where this is mentioned?

I don't think this is an issue. It's just that the higher HDD speed probably does not have much of an added advantage with respect to PS3.

In this case could 'IDE' be the issue? I'm not sure if IDE drives are recognized by PS3s.

Drive speed doesn't matter even when they are internal to PS3.

IDE is also not an issue because right now it's an USB in a case. Probably if you have a spare caddy and could check it?

Last edited:
For the reference I went to Croma yesterday and there I checked out a brand new Seagate 500 Gb usb Hdd with their demo Ps3 but the same was also not detected on it. Whereas when the sales person inserted his pen drive of 8Gb the same was recognised in an instant by Ps3. In my case too if I plug in my 5th generation Ipod to the ps3 then it detects it easily and shows it as a USB Storage device.
I have found a workaround with my problem temporarily, I am using my laptop to detect the External Hdd and then I boot up my Ps3 on Linux, there I use the Network Location to browse the contents of the external hdd attached to my Laptop then I copy the particular song to the Ps3 through the network and then play the same through VLC media player as the same decodes Apple Lossless format. Awsome is the word for SQ.
But since this is a temporary workaround, I would still want my external Hdd to be detected Directly on the Ps3 which would save me from so much work as mentioned above.

For the reference I went to Croma yesterday and there I checked out a brand new Seagate 500 Gb usb Hdd with their demo Ps3 but the same was also not detected on it. Whereas when the sales person inserted his pen drive of 8Gb the same was recognised in an instant by Ps3. In my case too if I plug in my 5th generation Ipod to the ps3 then it detects it easily and shows it as a USB Storage device.
I have found a workaround with my problem temporarily, I am using my laptop to detect the External Hdd and then I boot up my Ps3 on Linux, there I use the Network Location to browse the contents of the external hdd attached to my Laptop then I copy the particular song to the Ps3 through the network and then play the same through VLC media player as the same decodes Apple Lossless format. Awsome is the word for SQ.
But since this is a temporary workaround, I would still want my external Hdd to be detected Directly on the Ps3 which would save me from so much work as mentioned above.

That's bad. I've got two Seagate external HDD's and both work as a charm. Are you sure the 500 GB was formatted in FAT32?

That's bad. I've got two Seagate external HDD's and both work as a charm. Are you sure the 500 GB was formatted in FAT32?

I also had that doubt in my mind after I left the showroom, I didn't check its format pattern. I want to ask here that a new HDD like these are formatted in what manner?
As the salesman there was not much reluctant to open up a new packed piece for me to experiment but I somehow convienced him to do so by assuring him that I would buy it if it will work with the Ps3, so you understand my dellima here, and after this failed attempt I didn't bother much to check the format pattern of the same HDD which I could have done easily with the demo laptops there.

I also had that doubt in my mind after I left the showroom, I didn't check its format pattern. I want to ask here that a new HDD like these are formatted in what manner?
As the salesman there was not much reluctant to open up a new packed piece for me to experiment but I somehow convienced him to do so by assuring him that I would buy it if it will work with the Ps3, so you understand my dellima here, and after this failed attempt I didn't bother much to check the format pattern of the same HDD which I could have done easily with the demo laptops there.

It depends, IIRC Seagate came formatted in NTFS. So our assumption of the demo drive was in NTFS is fair. PS3 should detect any Ext HDD formated in FAT32, So I think you can buy it and you wouldn't regret.

It depends, IIRC Seagate came formatted in NTFS. So our assumption of the demo drive was in NTFS is fair. PS3 should detect any Ext HDD formated in FAT32, So I think you can buy it and you wouldn't regret.

Thanks for this info.... I will go to Croma again tomorrow and will check it out myself and then leave a feedback for the same. Which model of seagate external Hdd you have that is used with Ps3 and the Price for it?

In the meantime what could be the reason behind my External Hdd of 80 Gb not working with Ps3, could it be the jumper which is set in the master position?

Thanks for this info.... I will go to Croma again tomorrow and will check it out myself and then leave a feedback for the same. Which model of seagate external Hdd you have that is used with Ps3 and the Price for it?

In the meantime what could be the reason behind my External Hdd of 80 Gb not working with Ps3, could it be the jumper which is set in the master position?

I've got a Seagate 1 TB Desktop external drive, I bought it for around 75 GBP, however is now just 65 GBP.

May be yes, I had read some where that internal HDD (SATA) when set on incorrect jumper doesn't work.

May be yes, I had read some where that internal HDD (SATA) when set on incorrect jumper doesn't work.

I will try a different jumper position today and report back.

Could you specify the exact product and if possible along with the picture that will for sure shot work with ps3.

hey bro try hp-usb format tool software hp-usb format tool - PhazeDDL Warez .1 and convert your hdd to fat 32

if you want it as internal hdd then it should be sata with 5400 rpm and after you install it in ps3 you have to first install ps3 latest update software into hdd

Manu if you would have read my first post then you would have known by now that the HDD is already formatted with Fat32 through an external software and not windows as the same doesn't allow for larger disks than 32gb.
About the other part I already have 80gb internal and I don't require anything more than that internally but since my first question in this thread I wanted to use the external drive thats why I raised my question.

Manu if you would have read my first post then you would have known by now that the HDD is already formatted with Fat32 through an external software and not windows as the same doesn't allow for larger disks than 32gb.
About the other part I already have 80gb internal and I don't require anything more than that internally but since my first question in this thread I wanted to use the external drive thats why I raised my question.

ok bro my mistake ,then use 5400 rpm

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back