Facing a problem with my LG LH90 (Attn prospective buyers)

An update on this.

Another member of this forum (Sudhindra) who had bought 42LH90 is seeing the same issue. (Just spoke to him over phone now - I had given the steps through which I could see the problem. He is seeing exactly the same thing and is going to log a complaint.).

Called up LG engineer again. He is going to give a report to head office with this information. Also told him, my primary suspicion is firmware. Hopefully it is so and they can provide a fix.

This is totally shoddy work from LG.
LH90 is the highest premium product they have now (in terms of price atleast) and they screw up on the basic picture settings control!

Gopscreative,
I am just wondering, is it just that you did not realize the problem. I will PM you the exact steps through which the problem can be seen easily. It would be great if you can try the same.

Hi jeetak ,I heard dat checkin firmwre version by visiting service menu wil void de warranty? Is it? If u confirm on it i wil check de firmware and let u no..

What i can suggest that there may be a battery on Board which is discharged/gone.Ask engineer if it is the case. In many vintage tuners there is provision for battery.also on motherboard there is a battery i think.This is to do something with memory module or eprom dunno what it is)
Expert pls can you confirm?

What i can suggest that there may be a battery on Board which is discharged/gone.Ask engineer if it is the case. In many vintage tuners there is provision for battery.also on motherboard there is a battery i think.This is to do something with memory module or eprom dunno what it is)
Expert pls can you confirm?

I do not think so.

If there is a battery issue, then the settings may get erased - please note that here the issue is settings are saved, but they take effect only when brightness is bounced.

Also, EEPROMs, flash etc does not required battery for them to keep storing the data (they work more like computer hard disk).

The battery is required only of you real time information like date, time etc are required to be stored across power resets.

(I have been working with embedded systems all throughout my career)

Hi jeetak ,I heard dat checkin firmwre version by visiting service menu wil void de warranty? Is it? If u confirm on it i wil check de firmware and let u no..

I am not sure about this. I think, only if one tries modifying some settings, that will be an issue.

Having said that, you better avoid venturing into this, if you are not sure. I thought I will just compare the version, but it is not critical to find this out. So, it is fine.

I am not sure about this. I think, only if one tries modifying some settings, that will be an issue.

Having said that, you better avoid venturing into this, if you are not sure. I thought I will just compare the version, but it is not critical to find this out. So, it is fine.

hmmm k.. by de way wen my TV is playing de SD content through CATV set top box(connected through composite) in 16:9 ratio mode in tv,Image appears to be shifted by an inch towards left side,where as in bright white background scenes it is normal.Has any one observed it? U have any idea abt it?

I do not think so.

If there is a battery issue, then the settings may get erased - please note that here the issue is settings are saved, but they take effect only when brightness is bounced.

Also, EEPROMs, flash etc does not required battery for them to keep storing the data (they work more like computer hard disk).

The battery is required only of you real time information like date, time etc are required to be stored across power resets.

(I have been working with embedded systems all throughout my career)

Thanks

I think u r far better "gyaani" than me!!!
In fact will buzz u next time when I'll have an issue!!

Yes, I found a similar issue in my set and have logged a complaint with LG. Lets see how fast LG can solve this.

Meanwhile, I just configured my Logitech harmony one to do this automatically.

This sounds like a good idea. While I wait for LG to give some solution, I am just thinking I will buy one of these to work around the problem. It will be a good investment anyway.

Dear all,

thanks god i found this forum n trade just in time...
I was all set to buy 47" LH90 2morrow @ 85K
So i will go to dealer again tomorrow and tryout the display unit....

Existing buyers please give more inputs ... share your experiences and advice whether to go ahead or to go for some other alternative....

Regards,

This sounds like a good idea. While I wait for LG to give some solution, I am just thinking I will buy one of these to work around the problem. It will be a good investment anyway.

Ditto here, Iam also planning to program my Harmony One to take care of this.

Since so many are facing this porblem, issue is likely to be in firmware.

Since almost everything is on the mother board, and replacing the board didnt help, I really doubt its a hardware issue. Looks like one of the settings in expert mode is making the s/w throw fits..

Since so many are facing this porblem, issue is likely to be in firmware.

Since almost everything is on the mother board, and replacing the board didnt help, I really doubt its a hardware issue. Looks like one of the settings in expert mode is making the s/w throw fits..

Yes, I think you are right.
Hopefully, LG should be able to give a fix.

Dear all,

thanks god i found this forum n trade just in time...
I was all set to buy 47" LH90 2morrow @ 85K
So i will go to dealer again tomorrow and tryout the display unit....

Existing buyers please give more inputs ... share your experiences and advice whether to go ahead or to go for some other alternative....

Regards,

This has to be your call now. I will give you some facts which might help.

I bought this TV after a long wait and research (of 6 months) looking at different options. So, I must say that all in all this is a good TV and provides good value for money. After using it for more than a month, that opinion still remains, except for the specific problem which I am seeings. I have no complaints on picture quality etc except that I have to fiddle around with brightness control for certain settings which I have saved.

I am sure that all tvs of this model has the problem that I am facing. But, a number of owners have not encountered the problem so far. This would mean, they did not have to play around with white levels so far.

So, this means, the importance of this particular problem varies based on the viewer. So, you will have to take a call based on that.

If this issue turns out to be a software issue and LG provides a fix, then nothing like it. So, if you are really interested in this particular model, it might be a good idea to wait till this gets confirmed.

I bought this TV after a long wait and research (of 6 months) looking at different options. So, I must say that all in all this is a good TV and provides good value for money. After using it for more than a month, that opinion still remains, except for the specific problem which I am seeings. I have no complaints on picture quality etc except that I have to fiddle around with brightness control for certain settings which I have saved.

Same from me,

Actually I got to twaeking the white balance settings after reading this thread and found significant improvements in the PQ. The only little niggle is the brightness setting tweak everytime you turn the Tv ON to get to the optimal setting, which again is fixed at least for me with the programming on my Harmony One. I will not really change my buying decision based on this small issue.

I am sure that all tvs of this model has the problem that I am facing. But, a number of owners have not encountered the problem so far. This would mean, they did not have to play around with white levels so far.

So, this means, the importance of this particular problem varies based on the viewer. So, you will have to take a call based on that.

If this issue turns out to be a software issue and LG provides a fix, then nothing like it. So, if you are really interested in this particular model, it might be a good idea to wait till this gets confirmed.

Hi,

After 10 long days wait....
Finlay i got to see a 42" Lg LH90QR

I must say....... It's quite good.... very easy to operate...
GUI is simple and easy....

I watched both SD and HD on this Lg LED and Samsung Series 6 LED....sid to side
and find LG quite good.... but yes at times i did notice HALO layers... around light image against black background.....
but in fast motion the transition is quite nice....
and in PQ profiles i did notice the Expert 1&2 but didn't try those...
and GAME profile is quite good....

Sound of both LG and SAMSUNG LED is not up to the mark......

LG Remote has a backlite option which is very handy....

One more good feature in LG is the Stretch Option (Altering the aspect ratio)
Bye Bye to Black band on top and bottom of screen which watching media files from USB or from WDTV.....

47" is what i want and will wait for that... but the dealer has said they cant arrange a 47" for demo... so i have to give advance to get it..

But i am convinced.....

47" LGLH90 @ 85K is real value for money in comparison to 46" Sony W @ 105K

give your views.....

Yes, I found a similar issue in my set and have logged a complaint with LG. Lets see how fast LG can solve this.

Meanwhile, I just configured my Logitech harmony one to do this automatically.

I bought this yesterday and facing the same problem.Going to log a complaint with LG right away. For me even if i change the Input source. I am trying to setup my harmony but unable to set it up as i do not find direct command to change the brightness. My model number is 520..
BTW any update from LG on this..

I bought this yesterday and facing the same problem.Going to log a complaint with LG right away. For me even if i change the Input source. I am trying to setup my harmony but unable to set it up as i do not find direct command to change the brightness. My model number is 520..
BTW any update from LG on this..

I got a 42LH90 yesterday. The last few Local Dimming models courtesy the Sharp lawsuit which has forced Sammy and LG to close down manufacturing.

This is a Jan 2010 build. Some godforsaken latest firmware in which I cannot get into the Service Menu using whatever method I try to put into it.

Seems like only way to get into the Service Menu using a Technician Service Remote.

jetak_k, I tried the settings that you had posted. Using those makes the picture look all washed out and blueish. However, I don't seem to have the problem of Expert values not being retained after a powercycle.

So seems the latest firmware has something radically different. Maybe, if you want we can touch base and investigate further.

PS. My fourth LCD :)
1. Syntax Olevia 27" - 2004
2. Proview 32 xxx - 2006
3. Philips 42TA2800 - 2008
4. LG 42LH90 - 2010

Last edited:
Just though to add my two cents....

I just bought LG 47LH70 YR 47" LCD, though the model is different but the settngs are exactly the same, and just like OP even I do all my setting adjustments manually. By far I have not faced loosing any settings even if I plug out the TV cord. I think I am giving the most inputs to this TV, My BR is connected, WD Media Player, Xbox 360 and my HTPC. And I am usind different settings for all inputs. Expert 1 is for BR, Game is for HTPC/Xbox and Expert 2 is for WS Media player, each settings is configured differently, and no settings are lost at any point, even if as I said I pull out the plug. Infact when I change the mode through my AVR say for example from BR to HTPC my TV automatically changes its mode from Expert 1 to Game (and I was surprisd on the initially) , I practcally have to do nothing. If you ask me I am very satisfied how LG has worked on this.

A complete review would be following soon.....

So seems the latest firmware has something radically different.

Ok long story short, programmed the remocon remote codes in my Symbian phone and viola here is the firmware version info:

MODEL : 42LH90
SW VER : V4.14
FRC VER : V0306
B/T VER : V3.19
UTT : 17

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back