Facing a problem with my LG LH90 (Attn prospective buyers)

I have been using now LH90 from past 2 weeks and i am providing below all the issues encountered.

1. Problem indicated by jetak_k is manfiested in following scenarios
a) On changing the Inputs always
b) On soft (Standby mode) and hard power power off always
c) While watching the DVD when you change the DVD ; Sometime
d) Some other times as well spuriosuly

2. In Problem indicated by jetak_k value of Black level also changes. Say if you have set it to Low, it becomes high on I/p change and Power cycle though value of all other parameters are retained. Say you need to do circus to change Brightness as well as Black level if you want to set it to low.

3. While playing DivX movie from USB
a) Buttons on Remote (FR, Pause & Play) does not work
b) There is not way to adjust PQ settings

4. Probably it is known but i am just confirming that none of High definition video formats are supported through USB

5. Clock settings are lost on hard power cycle (Switch on and Off).

pkv, all LH90 owners,
I got the 42LH90 installed yesterday afternoon. Spent 2-3 hours playing with the set in the evening. I can confrm that among the above listed issues, I have not seen the following happen in my set:
1. I tried saving a few settings for the 2 input signal - component input from my Sony HTiB's DVD player (to Component1) and composite from my TataSky set-top box (to AV1). When I changed the inputs from one to the other - the saved settings are automatically taking effect. I tried turning off the set and again changed input (AV1 --> Component1 --> AV1). Again I didn't see any issue - saved picture settings took effect. I also didn't see any issue when I changed DVDs. I will check again today to figure out if there is any visible change in PQ even though the saved settings are coming into effect (I think one of you had this complain that though the saved settings seem to be taking effect, PQ changes).

2. I didn't pay too much attention to check on this though I don't remember seeing any visible change in black levels while changing inputs or after power on-off.

3. a) Forward & Rewind, Play, Pause, Stop - all these buttons worked just fine for AVI & DivX files that I tried.
b) Not tried this, will check and confirm.

4. This is a known and part of the specs, so can't complain.

5. Not checked - will check and confirm.

After having used a Samsung (32") LCD for 3.5 years, I can also say, in comparison this model has:
i) one of the easiest to use & most functional reomote - the backlight on the remote is a cool thing (espacially when you are watching a movie in a darkened room).
ii) the audio clarity is far far better than any Samsung models available in India.
iii) unbelievable amount of user options that one can use to customize picture/audio/input settings
iv) the wall mount fixture is great - after mounting the TV, you can move it side-ways, also tilt it front/back. Unmounting and remounting is a pain though because of the weight.
v) The TataSky regular channels (Star, NDTV, Sony, ESPN, ...) looked great, even from a 4-6 ft distance (my normal viewing distance is 10-12 ft). DVDs also looked good but not as good as I expected - I thought they were equally good in my old 720p Samasung LCD TV. Maybe customizing the picture settings will make things better. In general, I am convinced that the SD processing is really very good in this TV.
vi) The only HD input I tried was my Sony Camcorder (HDR-SR7). Some of the videos I made using the HD option (1080i) looked stunning ... maybe my eyes are senisitive enough to notice all the picture details to tell the difference - but those 1080i videos looked just as good and as spotless as the blu-ray movie clips I saw in showrooms (playing in the same TV). I am now waiting for trying out Blu-rays ...

A few negatives are:
i) though the looks of this set when viewed from the front is decently attractive, it is still nowhere near the edge-LED models (Samsung's B6000/B7000, LG's SL90, Sony's X series) in terms of the looks. It is also very bulky and thicker than most LCD models.
ii) though it has enough connection ports (HDMI, USB, composite) at the side, because of the extended glass panel (on the side), it is not easy to access these ports - irritating when you have to connect/ disconnet your USB HDD, Camcorder etc.

Overall, my first impression has been very positive. Though I still have the grouse that I couldn't get the 47" model (of LH90 or SL90).

Last edited:
Thats nice to hear. Actually when i called LG tech guys and asked them about the lipsync ,he said dat they wil get bac to me, but stil no reply:mad:.I think time has come to call dem up again and blast dem off!!!

Thats nice to hear. Actually when i called LG tech guys and asked them about the lipsync ,he said dat they wil get bac to me, but stil no reply:mad:.I think time has come to call dem up again and blast dem off!!!

No point blasting. They dont even know about Service Remote :(

I have purchased the 42lh90 in oct2009...i use the set top box provided by my cable service provider..
i have not noticed any settings issue..(i hav not tried hard) as the settings were good enough..

as for HD play via USB...that is an issue which Lg need to solve..

what are the best settings being used on the Tv..?

my viewing distance is about 7-9 ft..
thx

pkv, all LH90 owners,
I got the 42LH90 installed yesterday afternoon. Spent 2-3 hours playing with the set in the evening. I can confrm that among the above listed issues, I have not seen the following happen in my set:
1. I tried saving a few settings for the 2 input signal - component input from my Sony HTiB's DVD player (to Component1) and composite from my TataSky set-top box (to AV1). When I changed the inputs from one to the other - the saved settings are automatically taking effect. I tried turning off the set and again changed input (AV1 --> Component1 --> AV1). Again I didn't see any issue - saved picture settings took effect. I also didn't see any issue when I changed DVDs. I will check again today to figure out if there is any visible change in PQ even though the saved settings are coming into effect (I think one of you had this complain that though the saved settings seem to be taking effect, PQ changes).

2. I didn't pay too much attention to check on this though I don't remember seeing any visible change in black levels while changing inputs or after power on-off.

3. a) Forward & Rewind, Play, Pause, Stop - all these buttons worked just fine for AVI & DivX files that I tried.
b) Not tried this, will check and confirm.

4. This is a known and part of the specs, so can't complain.

5. Not checked - will check and confirm.

After having used a Samsung (32") LCD for 3.5 years, I can also say, in comparison this model has:
i) one of the easiest to use & most functional reomote - the backlight on the remote is a cool thing (espacially when you are watching a movie in a darkened room).
ii) the audio clarity is far far better than any Samsung models available in India.
iii) unbelievable amount of user options that one can use to customize picture/audio/input settings
iv) the wall mount fixture is great - after mounting the TV, you can move it side-ways, also tilt it front/back. Unmounting and remounting is a pain though because of the weight.
v) The TataSky regular channels (Star, NDTV, Sony, ESPN, ...) looked great, even from a 4-6 ft distance (my normal viewing distance is 10-12 ft). DVDs also looked good but not as good as I expected - I thought they were equally good in my old 720p Samasung LCD TV. Maybe customizing the picture settings will make things better. In general, I am convinced that the SD processing is really very good in this TV.
vi) The only HD input I tried was my Sony Camcorder (HDR-SR7). Some of the videos I made using the HD option (1080i) looked stunning ... maybe my eyes are senisitive enough to notice all the picture details to tell the difference - but those 1080i videos looked just as good and as spotless as the blu-ray movie clips I saw in showrooms (playing in the same TV). I am now waiting for trying out Blu-rays ...

A few negatives are:
i) though the looks of this set when viewed from the front is decently attractive, it is still nowhere near the edge-LED models (Samsung's B6000/B7000, LG's SL90, Sony's X series) in terms of the looks. It is also very bulky and thicker than most LCD models.
ii) though it has enough connection ports (HDMI, USB, composite) at the side, because of the extended glass panel (on the side), it is not easy to access these ports - irritating when you have to connect/ disconnet your USB HDD, Camcorder etc.

Overall, my first impression has been very positive. Though I still have the grouse that I couldn't get the 47" model (of LH90 or SL90).

Congratulations Saumitra on your purchase of LG 42" and Joining the group of LG 42" owners. After escalation of issue area service manager came to attend this issue and PQ issue was resolved by upgrading the firmware. So i guess your TV might have already come with new firmware. Divx file Forward, Rewind issue was resolved by replacing the remote. On clock issue they informed that's how it works..
My only grin is still on SD PQ. I have not compared to other LCD TVs but it is not matching to my old Sonly 21" CRT TV...
Appreciate if you can share your PQ settings if you have really found some good settings for watching SD content.

pkv,
I am really relieved to hear that most of your issues are resolved.
I was actually feeling a bit guilty on two counts
1st I had so strongly recommended this model to you and even mentioned about the dealer who I knew had stock of this model.
2nd when I finally bought the same model (after you did), I got one (most likely from a newer lot & from a different dealer) that didnt have the issues you (& some others) were facing.
In general, as Blasto and some others had mentioned in this forum, LG service is good, much better than others I can surely talk about Samsung which has a very poor service setup at least in Bangalore.

On the PQ settings I tried the settings singho mentioned in the Expert1 mode, but was not very happy with that. So I started playing around myself with different combinations. I now have user settings in these modes - Standard, Natural, Cinema, Sport and keep switching to these. I use Standard (user) mode for most Satellite TV channels, Sport (user) mode for Sports channels and Cinema (user) mode for movies (component/ USB). I will soon try to publish the settings that are working well for me. I havent spent much time yet on changing the settings (to my liking) for the Expert1 & Expert2 settings as I am not yet very clear about the effects of the advanced/ additional setting options in these modes.

pkv/ all,
Following are the PQ settings that are working very well for me in the 42LH90:

1. For normal TV viewing - for most satellite TV channels (tatasky):
- Aspect Ratio : 16:9
- Energy Setting : Off
- Picture Mode : Standard (user)

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 80
o Contrast: 75
o Brightness: 60
o Sharpness: 65
o Colour: 50
o Tint: 0
o Advanced Control
Colour Temperature: Medium
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Colour: Off
Noise Reduction: Medium
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Auto
Eye Care: On
Real Cinema: On
TruMotion: Low
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge Enhancer: High
----

2. For movie channels (HBO, StarMovies) + DVDs
- Picture Mode : Cinema (user)

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 60
o Contrast: 80
o Brightness: 50
o Sharpness: 55
o Advanced Control
Colour Temperature: Cool
Color Gamut: Wide
----

3. For some (Indian/Hindi) movie channels/ DVDs

--
- Picture Mode : Expert 1

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 70
o Contrast: 70
o Brightness: 55
o H Sharpness: 51
o V Sharpness: 53
o Color: 50
o Expert Control
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: High
Colour Filter: Off
White Balance: Medium
Red Contrast: 0
Green Contrast: 0
Blue Contrast: 0
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 0
Color Management System
Red Color: 1
Red Tint: 0
Green Color: 30
Green Tint: 0
Blue Color: 2
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: 13
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Color: 3
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 3
Magenta Tint: 0
--
The settings in 'Expert1' mode is derived from what Singho published earlier - with the 'Expert Control' settings almost identical to what he had mentioned, while I edited the other basic settings (backlight, contrast, sharpness) to my liking.

I also use the Sport (user) mode for live sports - that is only a small variation of the Cinema (user) mode with higher nos. for 'Backlight' (85-90), 'Contrast' (85) & 'Sharpness' (70).

Hope this would be useful to some LH90 owners.

Last edited:
thx for the details...

was browsing thru some other forum sites and found ppl updating their Tv with custom firmwares...

PPl are using the LH50 firmware wid their LH90..

they said it works..

BTW jus asking for knowledge..

Wudnt updating the firmware make sure that we can plat HD movie formats via usb???

thx for the details...

was browsing thru some other forum sites and found ppl updating their Tv with custom firmwares...

PPl are using the LH50 firmware wid their LH90..

they said it works..

BTW jus asking for knowledge..

Wudnt updating the firmware make sure that we can plat HD movie formats via usb???

Saumitra,
Thanks a lot for posting the settings. I have a dark room with ambient lighting. My settings are based on that. Brightness/contrast settings are going to change with the amount of lighting you have in the room.

The Expert settings are based on reference color filter patterns when viewed through RGB filters. They should remain the same.

-Singho

pkv/ all,
Following are the PQ settings that are working very well for me in the 42LH90:

1. For normal TV viewing - for most satellite TV channels (tatasky):
- Picture Mode : Standard (user)

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 80
o Contrast: 75
o Brightness: 60
o Sharpness: 65
o Advanced Control
Colour Temperature: Medium
----

2. For movie channels (HBO, StarMovies) + DVDs
- Picture Mode : Cinema (user)

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 60
o Contrast: 80
o Brightness: 50
o Sharpness: 55
o Advanced Control
Colour Temperature: Cool
Color Gamut: Wide
----

3. For some (Indian/Hindi) movie channels/ DVDs

--
- Picture Mode : Expert 1

Picture settings:
o Backlight: 70
o Contrast: 70
o Brightness: 55
o H Sharpness: 51
o V Sharpness: 53
o Color: 50
o Expert Control
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: High
Colour Filter: Off
White Balance: Medium
Red Contrast: 0
Green Contrast: 0
Blue Contrast: 0
Red Brightness: 0
Green Brightness: 0
Blue Brightness: 0
Color Management System
Red Color: 1
Red Tint: 0
Green Color: 30
Green Tint: 0
Blue Color: 2
Blue Tint: 0
Yellow Color: 13
Yellow Tint: 0
Cyan Color: 3
Cyan Tint: 0
Magenta Color: 3
Magenta Tint: 0
--
The settings in 'Expert1' mode is derived from what Singho published earlier - with the 'Expert Control' settings almost identical to what he had mentioned, while I edited the other basic settings (backlight, contrast, sharpness) to my liking.

I also use the Sport (user) mode for live sports - that is only a small variation of the Cinema (user) mode with higher nos. for 'Backlight' (85-90), 'Contrast' (85) & 'Sharpness' (70).

Hope this would be useful to some LH90 owners.

i am planning to buy 42 lh 90,are there any firmware problems now?or should i go for samsung b650 or lg 47 lh 50?plz advise me

i have an intertronic universal remote control RC Pro..

i wud like to use it for my LH90....can n e one help me set it up....or atleat the code

Have never heard about an "intertronic universal remote". If you want to purchase another remote, you can try the Logitech Harmony series. Exceptionally Brilliant !!

but i think the codes are the same...however the remote was purchsed from switzerland....m using it wid my LG and phillips crt and wid my phillips DVD player...

how much dows the Logitech remote sost???

i have an intertronic universal remote control RC Pro..

i wud like to use it for my LH90....can n e one help me set it up....or atleat the code

Do you have manal and code book for it?
Try codes of LG,Goldstar and Lucky Goldstar

It should work

but i think the codes are the same...however the remote was purchsed from switzerland....m using it wid my LG and phillips crt and wid my phillips DVD player...

how much dows the Logitech remote cost???

Logitech Harmony Remotes

BTW, Logitech remote moves away from Devices to Activity - like "watching a DVD" is an activity.

If you click "Watch DVD" , the Harmony Remote will turn on the DVD Player, the TV, the AV receiver, set all inputs to the proper inputs and get your remote in an optimal key mapped order.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back