FDI - Any benefit to Hi Fi Enthusiasts?

viper08

Hi Folks,

FDI annoucement has made a news of the day. May be good, may be bad.
Do you see any benefits in models, prices or deals coming up our way?
Will importing from US / UK thing of the past?

What do you think?:cool:

I do not have much hope as far as quality hi-fi options go. However, I am hopeful of being able to get an IKEA PONG for almost the same price as it is in the US, when they open shop in India. It would make a real nice listening chair. Let's see...

I do not have much hope as far as quality hi-fi options go. However, I am hopeful of being able to get an IKEA PONG for almost the same price as it is in the US, when they open shop in India. It would make a real nice listening chair. Let's see...
Hi Gruby,
I too am waiting eagerly for the IKEA launch so I can get the leather version with an ottoman which is available for just a little more over the POANG.

It will be of benefit to the F only. And the F will make the best of it.

I am not a protectionist but this move doesn't enthuse me in the least. Retail is one of the worst kind of foreign investment. There is very little gain for the host country. No transfer of technology, no training except in abject servility (How may i help you sir?). What problem does Manmohan expect the foreign companies to solve that the Spars and Big Bazaars and Flipkarts can not solve?

The Govt should be trying to boost manufacturing jobs. But with Mamtas and Manesar around, the future of manufacturing looks bleak. I guess the Congress vision 2020 is everyone working for walmart selling each other toilet paper.

I am not an economist or an MBA. Feel free to butcher my post :)

Last edited:
No one would butcher a fact mentioned ...
If the Congress holds on after 2014, then that would be the final outcome ... selling toilet paper to each other. Anyway, the anti-incumbency factor would be just too strong for Congress to overcome this time around, IMO. But, if not them, then, who? Need a Narendra Modi ... from what I have seen in Gujarat over the last 3-4 years. Its manufacturing ... manufacturing & manufacturing with stupendous administration. Sorry ..... OT.

The biggest benefit to a Hi-fi enthusiasts in India, IMO, is if due to the general positive sentiment, the rupee strengthens significantly against the $ & Euro. I remember in late '07 early '08 the rupee was at 40/41 to a $ and the Euro at 57/58. So essentially an audio component imported from the US has gone up by 40% in the past 3-4 years, and from the EU about 20%. The rupee, btw, is the worst performing currency amongst the BRIC as well as other Asian currencies.
Cheers,
Sid

I am not a protectionist but this move doesn't enthuse me in the least. Retail is one of the worst kind of foreign investment. There is very little gain for the host country. No transfer of technology, no training except in abject servility (How may i help you sir?). What problem does Manmohan expect the foreign companies to solve that the Spars and Big Bazaars and Flipkarts can not solve?

The Govt should be trying to boost manufacturing jobs. But with Mamtas and Manesar around, the future of manufacturing looks bleak. I guess the Congress vision 2020 is everyone working for walmart selling each other toilet paper.

The convert is often the biggest fanatic, so you might not be surprised to hear that I oppose this vehemently. The first words that come to my ashamed-of-British-history ear are East India Company --- and the American MNCs will make those Brits look like amateurs. There is nothing to be gained, and much to be lost. Or, rather, looted.

I am something of a protectionist, in that I believe that a government (any government, any country) should look after its citizens and its home industries first and foremost.

Excuse me... I'm not even Indian :eek: ...

Mind you, the day that Richer Sounds opens a Chennai shop, will I be there? Hmmm.... I guess so. But I won't be buying my food and clothes from Walmart, not never ever. The way those companies operate and their relationships with agriculture/horticulture, in their home countries, has been well known for decades.

Hoping to get USHER BS speakers at such a price that

if i drop shopping for one pair of jeans i would get a pair of speakers delivered with the money ! :D

or USHER will make KHADIM brand of speakers for <2K range

Hoping to get USHER BS speakers at such a price that

if i drop shopping for one pair of jeans i would get a pair of speakers delivered with the money ! :D

or USHER will make KHADIM brand of speakers for <2K range

Hi kaushik,

Don't you think that Khadim gives Bata the run for its money?

N.Murali

Hi kaushik,

Don't you think that Khadim gives Bata the run for its money?

N.Murali

not sure let...lf so let "lakhani,khadim hifi "shine over low cost high Q imports.
like coconut we have to break a KT88 amp :Dat ganesh ji tample praying for such days

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back