Feedback needed for Pioneer VSX-933 + Elac Cinema 5 - 5.1 package

srathor

I have been looking around for 7.2/5.1.2 setup with a bit of futureproof for next few years.

One of the offline dealers is offering Pioneer VSX-933 + Elac Cinema 5 - 5.1 package for 85K. Needed feedback from you guys about both the units and performance - and more importantly - is it worth the ask price.

The living room area to be covered is around 15x18, therefore will Elac Cinema 5 be good enough?

He has been pushing me to avoid Denon/MarantZ AV receivers as it seems they have service issues.

Thanks.

Hi Srathor,

They are absolutely wrong, you will not face any service issues with Denon/Marantz receivers especially in Mumbai. On the contrary i read on this forum that Pioneer is moving out of Home Audio business in India and would likely have more issues in warranty claims. (Refer to this thread https://www.hifivision.com/threads/denon-x2600h-or-pioneer-vsx-lx304.80428/page-2#post-888933) . See if you can get hold of Denon X1600H at a good price before stocks go out.

Future proof in audio is a very wrong word since its just a matter of satisfaction vs the need to go for someting better sounding. Unfortunately when it comes to audio, the urge to upgrade is way too high for many of us :)
The Elac Cinema 5/Polk TL1600 will serve you really well and are decent enough to give you a good movie watching experience if you are venturing into this area initially. As a matter of fact I used Polk TL1600 for almost good 4 years before selling them off and was more than happy with the setup.

But if you go for auditions across the different showrooms you will notice bookshelfs/floorstander based setup will perform much better than a satellite based speaker setup. If you can extend your budget by about 45k have a look at this thread to get good overall insights https://www.hifivision.com/threads/5-1-2-possible-under-100k.81372/

I have been looking around for 7.2/5.1.2 setup with a bit of futureproof for next few years.

One of the offline dealers is offering Pioneer VSX-933 + Elac Cinema 5 - 5.1 package for 85K. Needed feedback from you guys about both the units and performance - and more importantly - is it worth the ask price.

The living room area to be covered is around 15x18, therefore will Elac Cinema 5 be good enough?

He has been pushing me to avoid Denon/MarantZ AV receivers as it seems they have service issues.

Thanks.
Hi, Elac cinema 5 is a very good speaker package. My dad is using it n he enjoys a lot. I think it’s retailing around 34k now.

Hi Srathor,

They are absolutely wrong, you will not face any service issues with Denon/Marantz receivers especially in Mumbai. On the contrary i read on this forum that Pioneer is moving out of Home Audio business in India and would likely have more issues in warranty claims. (Refer to this thread https://www.hifivision.com/threads/denon-x2600h-or-pioneer-vsx-lx304.80428/page-2#post-888933) . See if you can get hold of Denon X1600H at a good price before stocks go out.

Future proof in audio is a very wrong word since its just a matter of satisfaction vs the need to go for someting better sounding. Unfortunately when it comes to audio, the urge to upgrade is way too high for many of us :)
The Elac Cinema 5/Polk TL1600 will serve you really well and are decent enough to give you a good movie watching experience if you are venturing into this area initially. As a matter of fact I used Polk TL1600 for almost good 4 years before selling them off and was more than happy with the setup.

But if you go for auditions across the different showrooms you will notice bookshelfs/floorstander based setup will perform much better than a satellite based speaker setup. If you can extend your budget by about 45k have a look at this thread to get good overall insights https://www.hifivision.com/threads/5-1-2-possible-under-100k.81372/
>> Pioneer is moving out of Home Audio business in India

Now it makes sense why he is trying to push that VSX933 at around 30% discount.

>> Future proof in audio is a very wrong word since its just a matter of satisfaction vs the need to go for someting better sounding. Unfortunately when it comes to audio, the urge to upgrade is way too high for many of us

For me this bug has come after 20 years - have been using the Akai Surround system - still works great on most of the stereo audio.
Looking for better experience as I am now 24 hrs WFH and binge watching more of Amazon Prime and Netflix.

>> But if you go for auditions across the different showrooms you will notice bookshelfs/floorstander based setup will perform much better than a satellite based speaker setup.

Have been trying to locate setups who are running - but most of them are just into selling online - stores not yet functioning.
Also, given the size of apartments and living rooms in Mumbai - bookshelf/floor speakers do not work out. A decent Subwoofer and satellite setup is the way to go.

Budget is 1L - so will have to look around further before I finalize. All suggestions are welcome.

Hi, Elac cinema 5 is a very good speaker package. My dad is using it n he enjoys a lot. I think it’s retailing around 34k now.
I have read the reviews but have not got a chance to actually experience the output. Except I read somewhere that the Elac Cinema 5 and 10 have been discontinued.

Also, the online and offline prices are very much different.

One of the FM @himanshubhai was also planning for Elac cinema 5, not sure if he has bought it. May be u can check with him for the recent price.
Thanks - I will check with him on IM.

>> Pioneer is moving out of Home Audio business in India

Now it makes sense why he is trying to push that VSX933 at around 30% discount.

>> Future proof in audio is a very wrong word since its just a matter of satisfaction vs the need to go for someting better sounding. Unfortunately when it comes to audio, the urge to upgrade is way too high for many of us

For me this bug has come after 20 years - have been using the Akai Surround system - still works great on most of the stereo audio.
Looking for better experience as I am now 24 hrs WFH and binge watching more of Amazon Prime and Netflix.

>> But if you go for auditions across the different showrooms you will notice bookshelfs/floorstander based setup will perform much better than a satellite based speaker setup.

Have been trying to locate setups who are running - but most of them are just into selling online - stores not yet functioning.
Also, given the size of apartments and living rooms in Mumbai - bookshelf/floor speakers do not work out. A decent Subwoofer and satellite setup is the way to go.

Budget is 1L - so will have to look around further before I finalize. All suggestions are welcome.

I have read the reviews but have not got a chance to actually experience the output. Except I read somewhere that the Elac Cinema 5 and 10 have been discontinued.

Also, the online and offline prices are very much different.

Thanks - I will check with him on IM.
Yeah, these days online prices are close to mrp. Better to buy from dealer.

Thanks.
Service is not an issue for Demon in Mumbai. ProFx, the authorized Denon dealer has a service center in Mumbai. Go ahead with Denon with confidence. Elac Cinema 5 is a good budget speaker system. Not sure about the Pioneer VSX-933, never used it.

If audiosciencereview has shown anything, it's that subjective reviews are often way way off. No one knows how well these tiny Elac speakers perform, and they cost a lot! You can get a 5.1 setup with T650 at 30k and a 5.1.2 with Q800T (imported surround speakers) at 60k, and you know the how the sound performance because of testing by Rtings. These small speakers might have terrible frequency response and dispersion. No one knows because no one has tested.

If you're going home theater route and spending big bucks, at least buy speakers that perform well for sure, instead of untested toy speakers. Pioneer SP-BS22 is a good performing budget speaker. Get those instead. Get a decent sub.

Last edited:
If audiosciencereview has shown anything, it's that subjective reviews are often way way off. No one knows how well these tiny Elac speakers perform, and they cost a lot! You can get a 5.1 setup with T650 at 30k and a 5.1.2 with Q800T (imported surround speakers) at 60k, and you know the how the sound performance because of testing by Rtings. These small speakers might have terrible frequency response and dispersion. No one knows because no one has tested.

If you're going home theater route and spending big bucks, at least buy speakers that perform well for sure, instead of untested toy speakers. Pioneer SP-BS22 is a good performing budget speaker. Get those instead. Get a decent sub.
Hi Marakk, do you have any names/contact for the AV and speaker dealers in Mumbai? None of the online dealers have any audition setup working at present.

Hi Marakk, do you have any names/contact for the AV and speaker dealers in Mumbai? None of the online dealers have any audition setup working at present.

I don't. You'll have to search around. Sorry.

Do check out audiosciencereview btw. The most reliable measurements you can find anywhere on the internet.

This depends on your taste. Elac cinema or polk 1600 speakers are tiny but still very effective.
If main purpose is more movies and less music, these are very good.

Best way is audition. I selected both but shop persob told Elac cinema 5 does not support multi direction wall mount. So i bought polk.

Last edited:
This depends on your taste. Elac cinema or polk 1600 speakers are tiny but still very effective.
If main purpose is more movies and less music, these are very good.

Best way is audition. I selected both but shop persob told Elac cinema 5 does not support multi direction wall mount. So i bought polk.
Yes - but in current times audition is an issue. Can't locate and stores that are open and with proper audio setup for testing.

Elac have flat wall mount, but can be replaced with multi-directional mount - bit extra cost for those mounts. I am more worried about investing 40K in Cinema 5.1 without even checking the actual output.

Hi, Even I was in the same dilemma.
When auditioned Polk TL1600, I felt Polk's sub sounded punchier better than Elac's.
But as a package I felt Elac was better sounding, crisp and clear. So I went with Elac Cinema 5.
If you are worried about spending 40k for tiny speakers, then u can go for Taga Harmony 5.0 package at first and then add sub at later point.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back