Feedback on apple Imac 5k

mahiruha

Hello,
starting a thread after a long time. I am into photography these days so I have been looking for a UHD monitor .From my research I find imac 5k with retina display ( one above the base model) and 1 TB fusion drive to be value for money. I have never used any apple product but I can't find any alternative product for Imac 5k . The main use for this computer will be photo editing and some occasional gaming and programming. Anybody in this forum using this imac 5k. Would appreciate some user feedback in terms of performance.
Thanks

I am using an iMac 21 inch from 2013. I used to have an iMac 17 inch in 2006 and then a Macbook Pro. I fully loved the iMac one box experience. My Old iMac 17 inch did a real good job and I had to sell off end of 2009 as I was returning to India.

iMac is a great all in one product for Movie and Photo editing. You can use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop and it has a very decent performance. I dont know about the latest 5K, but reviews are quite good and usually Apple computers last long before it becomes obsolete.

My MBP from 2009 still runs with latest OS (after a battery change). My First gen Apple TV lasted 7 years before it conched off.

Best bet is , go to the store and have a ride with the iMac. Try out some photo editing and try to use some apps in the store. Ask for demo. Have a good feel before you buy.

Hello indy70,
thanks for your inputs. I am also to curious to know how easy or difficult it is to run some windows based application in MAC. I have to use excel and matlab. Is it possible to use them in mac under some sort of windows environment. How is the performance for those applications? Have you tried installing a windows operating system as well where I can use all the windows applications. I have no idea of a mac computer but I think it should be doable without any violation. Please share if you have any experience in this regard.How is the customer support for imac in India?
Thanks.

Hi MahiRuha,
My son uses a iMac 27" 5K display and has no issues with Photoshop and Lightroom. He also runs some video editing software as well.
My 2007 Macbook Pro is able to run the latest OS, the only 'upgrade' was to replace HDD with SSD.
'Wine' is the windows emulator on Mac OS. Excel equivalent is available as 'Numbers'. Not sure if Mathlab is available for Mac OS. FYI.

Hi Mahiruha, You can get Excel for Mac as well. If you really need to run Windows, you can use Bootcamp and have dual boot. I dont have that though and I havent tried as I dont have the necessity. Apple support here is really good now, unlike how it was before. Very soon Apple will come with their own stores and you will have even better support.

Alternatively you can use Parallels to install windows like a Virtual environment. Bootcamp would be faster as it will be a native install.

Hello indy70,
thanks for your inputs. I am also to curious to know how easy or difficult it is to run some windows based application in MAC. I have to use excel and matlab. Is it possible to use them in mac under some sort of windows environment. How is the performance for those applications? Have you tried installing a windows operating system as well where I can use all the windows applications. I have no idea of a mac computer but I think it should be doable without any violation. Please share if you have any experience in this regard.How is the customer support for imac in India?
Thanks.
I have been using Mac Book Pro since 2013. I do lots of photoshop and Lightroom in Mac IOS. Yeah you can run windows with Parallel software. It allows you to use both windows and IS operating systems. But it makes PC very slow and sluggish. Run it until you get hang of IOS operating system. Mind you Apple does not let you take any shortcuts. You have to learn IOS operating system to use Apple Mac book to its fullest.

Hello,
starting a thread after a long time. I am into photography these days so I have been looking for a UHD monitor .From my research I find imac 5k with retina display ( one above the base model) and 1 TB fusion drive to be value for money. I have never used any apple product but I can't find any alternative product for Imac 5k . The main use for this computer will be photo editing and some occasional gaming and programming. Anybody in this forum using this imac 5k. Would appreciate some user feedback in terms of performance.
Thanks

Most people here do not know alternatives.
Surely you have a lot of them.
The basic would be :
1. Silverstone PC Case
2. A good i5/i7
3. A compatible motherboard.
4. 16 gigs of ram.
5. 240GB SSD, 2 TB WD Blue
6. GTX 1080x2 in SLI
7. Curved 27/34 Monitor, far better than the retina.
8. A good keyboard/mouse set.

This will beat the imac anywhere and everywhere, getting the imac is a solution for most who can't build a real PC. You can order these parts online and assemble through a youtube video.
All the best and please PM me if you need more help.

I have both platforms. A retina macbook pro and windows 10 pro laptop and desktop. If you are using windows since a very long time it is better to get a nice core i7 skylake 16gb 256gb ssd based machine with a nice Dell UHD or 5k monitor calibrated to 100% RGB. This is more satisfying than buying a mac then installing parallels or buying office for MAC and a other softwares.

I have been there done that. MAC is a nice machine but it will take effort and money to shift from Microsoft to windows.

A better option would be to get a high spec ultra portable and a dell monitor so it can do both jobs.

Hello,
thanks everybody for all the inputs. Today I took the plunge and bought the Imac 5k . Yet to set it up. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition. I will also retain my windows pc so I can do my usual stuff in that. Hopefully for photo editing purpose it will prove to be a very useful tool. Can't wait to see all my pictures in this 5k display. Thanks again for all your inputs.
Thanks.

Awesome! Big congratulations on acquiring this beast. Just yesterday I visited my local apple dealer and he quoted me 1.67L for the 1,88,900 top end model. I have decided to wait and let my room renovation get done first. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hello,
thanks everybody for all the inputs. Today I took the plunge and bought the Imac 5k . Yet to set it up. Hopefully it will be a smooth transition. I will also retain my windows pc so I can do my usual stuff in that. Hopefully for photo editing purpose it will prove to be a very useful tool. Can't wait to see all my pictures in this 5k display. Thanks again for all your inputs.
Thanks.
Congrats. How much did you pay for imac 5K? If you don't mind sharing with us.

Most people here do not know alternatives.
Surely you have a lot of them.
The basic would be :
1. Silverstone PC Case
2. A good i5/i7
3. A compatible motherboard.
4. 16 gigs of ram.
5. 240GB SSD, 2 TB WD Blue
6. GTX 1080x2 in SLI
7. Curved 27/34 Monitor, far better than the retina.
8. A good keyboard/mouse set.

This will beat the imac anywhere and everywhere, getting the imac is a solution for most who can't build a real PC. You can order these parts online and assemble through a youtube video.
All the best and please PM me if you need more help.
Its not that people don't know these specs you have listed. They are tempting to invest for but a Mac loyalist will always stick to Mac no matter whatever windows have to offer. Same goes with Apple phones.

Hello,
I have using this imac for past one week. It is a decent machine in terms of performance. I have installed windows 10 in the virtualbox so I have windows as well and it is running smoothly. Only issue is I can't get any sound from windows in virtualbox. Can anybody provide any pointer how to address this issue? I believe Imac is using the on board sound card but somehow windows 10 can't locate it.another issue is I can't run windows 10 full screen the maximum resolution allowed by it is 1600 by 1200.
Thanks.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back