Feedback on Flyte Digital Music Store

reubensm

Hi all, just wanted a bit of feedback on the sound quality of files bought from the flipkart mp3 music store, Flyte.

They have a pretty good collection at reasonable prices and I was considering downloading a few albums on mp3 format with a bitrate of 320kbps (they are calling it max bitrate, not sure what they intend by that).

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried these downloads and if yes, how is the quality when burnt into audio cd format. Has anyone got to compare audio cds created from these files with the original audio cd of the same album?

Thanks in advance, for your thoughts and comments.

Have not tried the d/l but I have ripped many CDs into mp3 (especially to play on mobile, in the car, etc.) and I can tell you the quality is definitely not comparable to an audio CD.

Also, mp3s with a variable bitrate (VBR) sound better than with a constant bitrate (CBR). To my knowledge most online services provide mp3s with CBR and not VBR.

Hi,yes I have downloaded quite a few albums from flyte digital music store ,and ,at also of all types .even retro Bollywood songs sound fine,when I play these on squeezebox and mostly on my Samsung S3.there is an excellent download manager for mobile phones or even for yr desktops.definetly worth trying.cheers.
In case you plan to download rather frequently,you could also use the wallet facility.

Have got couple of songs from flyte. Quality is good, did not find below audio cd quality for sure (though I do not consider myself a true audiophile!).

Flyte is strictly OK.. primarily because some rare tracks are available which are tough to find otherwise.

But regarding quality, I sometimes feel that they equalize the sound when/after ripping, as some tracks sound over processed/equalized.. often bordering on harsh. Definitely not comparable to CD quality or lossless quality.

If you are ok with high bitrate MP3, here is another website you may try. They have an impressive collection of English music, often rare to find albums and are priced pretty cheap. The average 320 kbps tracks are 10 cents each, flacs a little higher. And quality is also pretty good for mp3.. to me they dont sound as processed as the tracks at Flipkart.
The only thing, they dont take payment during purchase but you have to maintain a wallet from where balance is deducted for every purchase. And initial deposit you need to make when you open an account is 20 USD.

Flyte is pathetic in my opinion. I bought a couple of albums which I could not find in any other format then. The sound is very limited in dynamic range and muddled. I found a compact disc of one of the albums at a later date and this sounds far better than the mp3 that I had foolishly bought. I am sure that if I convert the disc to mp3, even the converted files will sound better than what flyte offers.

I am not going to buy mp3 from flyte.

People are being misled buy the lack of information on this site.They should post the CD cover and the ripping method used for people to have better idea

In Flyte the source could be from anything including pirated mp3s.seems they got the license to offer downloads from music companies.thats all and offer whatever quality u can offer.!and pay us a cut seems the mantra

They have quite a few old Hindi songs ripped from long playing vinyl (including the dialogues) and they sound far better than their CD counter parts. costing between Rs. 6 and 9, they are reasonably priced considering the rarity of the songs they offer.

Regds

So far I have bought almost 800 songs from Flipcart, I found the pricing and quality reasonable. For my ears, 320KBPS MP3 is almost CD Quality so in future I don't bother to buy a CD at higher price. Another observation is

CD shelf price at release time - Rs.140 8 songs

@ flyte - 8 x Rs.15 - 120 (Advantage you can exclude some useless)
@ flyte same album price - Rs 90 (Save Rs.50)

Price of this same album and songs may reduced to Rs.9 or Rs.6 after 3 months in flyte. But CD price wont come down in 3-6 months.

Conclusion: flyte is best

Agree that flyte is awesome and very good option for buying music without any hassles. However what I prefer is, if I like all the songs of a movie/album, I still buy the entire audio CD from flipkart for my collection and rip it to 320 immediately. Whereas in case of a song or two which are really good, I prefer buying individually from flyte. I agree, that for my ears too 320 bitrate MP3s are almost CD quality and I am happy with it. Another thing I like about buying MP3s from flyte is the files are nicely id3 tagged which makes it very convenient for searching, sorting, creating your playlists.

I am surprised to see such a long discussion on flyte.
In the era of 24/96 and 24/192 tracks, I am shocked that people are paying for mp3.
For anyone wanting to try flyte, I again suggest to think of some other options first.

In the era of 24/96 and 24/192 tracks, I am shocked that people are paying for mp3.
For anyone wanting to try flyte, I again suggest to think of some other options first.

What better (and legal) options are there in lieu of mp3? What you are saying is akin to saying that in this age of Audis & BMWs, why do people still pay for a Maruti?

I wont (and also cant afford to) spend 300-400 bucks on a bollywood album and much more on a foreign one. Compare this to Rs5-15 per track @320kbps. And frankly me too cant differentiate that much between mp3 & audio cd (which is the case with most of the people even on this forum).
I made my first music purchase yesterday on flyte and am quite satisfied.

Last edited:

Shivam,

Any suggestion of sites to buy full versions of rare old Hindi songs in better quality than that Flyte offers?

Regds

Shivam,

Any suggestion of sites to buy full versions of rare old Hindi songs in better quality than that Flyte offers?

Regds

Try analogue.

I use vinyls of old Hindi songs. Just to play them again and again I have also converted a lot of them 24/96 flac.

Some of the songs are available on CDs which sound better than the mp3. Problem with flyte is not just the mp3 format but I feel it is the poor conversion to mp3 which makes them sound so bad.

Recently I downloaded songs of movie from Julie from flyte and then I hated the sound as compared to the LP that I had. Later I found the same album on CD and this CD sounds far better than the mp3 I had bought. Depending on the conversion, I am sure that mp3 from this will sound better than what is available on flyte. I wonder what the source of flyte's mp3 files is and how they convert.

What better (and legal) options are there in lieu of mp3? What you are saying is akin to saying that in this age of Audis & BMWs, why do people still pay for a Maruti?

I wont (and also cant afford to) spend 300-400 bucks on a bollywood album and much more on a foreign one. Compare this to Rs5-15 per track @320kbps. And frankly me too cant differentiate that much between mp3 & audio cd (which is the case with most of the people even on this forum).
I made my first music purchase yesterday on flyte and am quite satisfied.

You have very good speakers especially for mid range response. Don't you want to enjoy the vocals they are capable of ?
By using flyte mp3 you are actually running a petrol vehicle (BMW or Maruti) on Kerosene, in my opinion.

Last edited:
You have very good speakers especially for mid range response. Don't you want to enjoy the vocals they are capable of ?
By using flyte mp3 you are actually running a petrol vehicle (BMW or Maruti) on Kerosene, in my opinion.

nicely put,,it is not for us....

after all based on rules and places we are smart enough to use alternate ways for pleasure:)

but there is a market slot for them
many not so into bitrate/audio gear people will pick

After seeing this thread, I plan to purchase some great movie dialogues from bollywood - I couldnt find any convenient source in CD shops after repeat visits, besides Flyte will help me select tracks and save me the trouble of ripping. I just need to copy them to my android for timepass while sitting in a bus for example.

I happen to have some great 320kbps mp3 tracks so while its not audiophile its not a shockingly poor idea to listen to mp3s at a cheap price really.

Guys, any suggestions for bollywood movies with great dialogues worth listening? I saw an album of the movie Anand with some dialogue tracks. Think I will buy those. Any others? "Puraana" B&W movie titles with chaste Hindi and some poetic quotes would be great suggestion. Sorry it is OT but we all love our bhel puri threads dont we? :)

--G0bble

Back