Feedback on Flyte Digital Music Store

You have very good speakers especially for mid range response. Don't you want to enjoy the vocals they are capable of ?
By using flyte mp3 you are actually running a petrol vehicle (BMW or Maruti) on Kerosene, in my opinion.

I completely agree to what you stated above.
But there are many reasons why people may still prefer mp3.
1. Affordability. I, atleast dont have the heart to spend more than what the speakers cost me, every year, just on software. You may call it mindset, but that is how we Indians are :)
2. Availablity (and ease of acquiring). I dont have time to visit a music store whereas I can purchase online & download right here on my PC.
3. Ability to buy on a-la-carte basis. I dont have to pay for a whole CD when I know that I like only one or two numbers from a particular album.
4. Availability of good audio hardware. Like you said that I have a good pair of speakers. But I now realise that an entry-level AVR does not do justice to uncompressed formats ... (upgraditis alert!)

That is why we are discussing Flyte.

@raz_737 - For almost all the songs available on flyte, you can find a compact disc at least on flipkart and rhythmhouse. Don't ever think that these mp3 are from original tapes. If the disc is not available, request it and they will get it for you.

@anuragn - Think of buying better formats than mp3 as 'upgraditis' which will actually make your experience better.

Last edited:
This my sound wierd, all along I've downloaded free music but somehow, I feel its my social responsibility to pay for what I download, that's why was happy to come across Flyte. The one-dollar-a-song concept on sites like amazon is great but expensive overall (if we try to download the entire album). Also they have stuff on there which is difficult to get on CD. My 2 cents.

Also I've dropped off buying pre-used vinyl as what used to cost me Rs.30-Rs.50 now costs an average of Rs.300-Rs.500. Hence the tendency to shift back to digital for popular listening. Personal listening to some of my child-hood favourites are on vinyl.

This my sound wierd, all along I've downloaded free music but somehow, I feel its my social responsibility to pay for what I download, that's why was happy to come across Flyte. The one-dollar-a-song concept on sites like amazon is great but expensive overall (if we try to download the entire album). Also they have stuff on there which is difficult to get on CD. My 2 cents.

No. It does not sound weird. Same is the case with me. I too felt satisfied while paying for mp3 downloads. Atleast now I am not stealing (remember those anti-piracy trailors before movies).
But still I wont agree to a music company if they first price their music as high as 300-400 bucks (especially bollywood) and then crib about piracy.
I have bought Audio CDs from Landmark when they had 70% off sale.

I tried out Flyte today. Did the download for the OST of Rock On. Did not want to try international albums, thought I'll start with a desi one first.

Cost me Rs.81 and I could easily pay off using my credit card. The download was quick and I was even given the option to choose between 64 kbps, 128 kbps and 320 kbps. I picked the 320 kbps option and the average file size was between 9 and 15 MB. I did not have to use a download manager, just clicked, used save as and had the file on my hard disk.

I created an audio cd using these files and played it back. Could not tell much of a difference with an original hindi cd (not the same album). The only ill part of the experience was that the album version offered by flipkart had one track missing. It was Musafir by Radio. I promptly did a search and managed to download this song from a different site, and add it to my cd. I was careful to ensure that I got a 320 kbps version.

Overall I would say that I am happy with the purchase and the sound quality.

Also, I would like to add, when we purchase an album, it gets added to a personalized MP3 library where we are allowed to download each song, for a maximum of 4 times.

I have come to use Flyte quite extensively since its inception. And yes, the fact that I am paying for what I want to listen to also keeps me in a better state as far as conscience is concerned, like others I used to download most of my music.
I like Flyte, a lot of international titles are available for a few bucks, and it does not hurt at the end of the month to buy a few of them. I have bought plenty of Indian Classicals, specially ragas that I would like on a track per track basis (a-la-carte), quality has been good mostly, but on a couple of tracks the I think the conversion to digital from the analog source leaves something to be desired.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back