Few queries regarding 1.5lac HT 5.1 system

kestrel5915

Hello people, I have been a lurker here for quite some time and have gained a lot of info from this forum.
I plan to buy a 5.1 system for my living room (plan attached).
My budget for speakers + AVR + cables is around 1.5 lacs.
Usage is Movies + Gaming - 50% and Music - 50%
I have auditioned the following setups till now in Delhi:

1. Wharfedale 10.5 FS with Denon (just for getting the sound signature). But the 5.1 setup with this might be out of budget. Also FS seem to be overkill for the room.

2. Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 with Denon X1100 (really liked the sound, clarity, etc for movies, was decent for music).

3. Tannoy V4i + Tannoy centre speaker + Denon X1100 + Dali Fazon surrounds + Velodyne sub
(Fronts were good but the setup as a whole didn't impress me much for movies since the bass was muddy and highs were bright but for music the fronts were good).

4. Paradigm CT100 5.1 with Denon X2000 (had tight and punchy bass with good clarity of voice but not comparable to the Monitor Audio Mass).

I think for the room size a FS setup might be overkill so I'm mainly trying to find a good 5.1 satellite system.

I'm inclined towards the MA Mass system.
Now, the quote I'm getting for the same is 1.49 lacs for the speakers, Marantz SR5008, cables.

My queries:

1. Is the deal above a good one?

2. Is the choice of AVR correct? I am open to other brands like Denon, etc.

3. Does Marantz not have any service centre in India and is the service itself pathetic? This was suggested by one of the dealers.

4. Although most brands might be made in china but has the overall management itself of brands like Monitor Audio, KEF, B&W, Wharfedale, Quad, Polk Audio been taken over by some Chinese firm which is now mass producing these brands?? This was also told to me by a dealer.

5. What other systems should I be looking at? I can only audition in Delhi so I have limited choices.

6. Is a Dali 5.1 setup possible in this budget? If yes, then where can I audition the same in Delhi.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 246
U shud audition dali.with marantz

Also, instead.of sr5008 go for sr5009 its has HDMI 2.0 hardware
I.recently purchased this unit

The.entire dali 7.1 and marantz sr5009 :)
Haven't installed them yet cuz room is getting ready
:k

U shud audition dali.with marantz

Also, instead.of sr5008 go for sr5009 its has HDMI 2.0 hardware
I.recently purchased this unit

The.entire dali 7.1 and marantz sr5009 :)
Haven't installed them yet cuz room is getting ready
:k

Thanks for the reply!

But how much is the approx cost of a Dali 5.1?
Can't find Indian prices online.

And what about the service of Marantz?

dali vokal 21900
zensor 1 23700
dali ef 12 sub 54900
zensor 3 33000
zensor 5 54500

see if u can bargain, shud easily get 15% off. on MRP.
I have Zensor 1(2pair), Zensor 5, Zensor vokal and sub from polk PSW 550, (dali sub 12 isnt available in India at the moment).

Zensor5 is bit too much even for me.
if u really gonna add gud SUB, u shudnt be needing zensor 5. just stick with zensor 3 for Front and zensor 1 for surround, thats it. :)

hope this wud help.

let me know if u need a dealer in delhi, will ask my dealer, he must know someone in delhi for sure. :)

I'm inclined towards the MA Mass system.
Now, the quote I'm getting for the same is 1.49 lacs for the speakers, Marantz SR5008, cables.

My queries:

1. Is the deal above a good one?

2. Is the choice of AVR correct? I am open to other brands like Denon, etc.

3. Does Marantz not have any service centre in India and is the service itself pathetic? This was suggested by one of the dealers.

4. Although most brands might be made in china but has the overall management itself of brands like Monitor Audio, KEF, B&W, Wharfedale, Quad, Polk Audio been taken over by some Chinese firm which is now mass producing these brands?? This was also told to me by a dealer.

5. What other systems should I be looking at? I can only audition in Delhi so I have limited choices.

6. Is a Dali 5.1 setup possible in this budget? If yes, then where can I audition the same in Delhi.

Thanks!

You have wisely decided that floorstanding speakers would be overkill for your room. It is indeed a small listening area

I confess my expertise in this area is very limited, but no harm taking a shot at answering some of your questions

1. The reviews suggest Monitor Audio Mass system is rather good. Hence they might be worth the price
However, I personally think we could do better than a satellite based system at this price

2. Strictly going by experiences of forum members, unless you are living in Bombay where MZ Audio (Marantz India distributors) are based, maybe it is safer to skip Marantz brand
(again not personal experience, but too many people seem to voicing unhappiness over service situation)
Marantz IS supposed to sound sweeter, and since you care about music, you should take the final call if that (slight) increase in music playback justifies the increased risk due to lack of service
I personally picked Denon X1000 last year, mainly because of the substantial premium Marantz charges for the equivalent model - I did not find the increase in musicality was worth the price difference

3. Already answered above. The distributor is in Bombay and people in other cities have reported problems getting service

4. Your question intrigued me and I did some googling
It seems like KEF, Wharfedale and Quad are owned by Chinese
However all of them continue to have their headquarters and all engineering/R&D in UK. The Chinese owners are more investors

I hope this does not impact your purchase decision though

5. Instead of satellite systems, you could consider bookshelf based systems
Unlike satellite systems, which utilize a single driver for all frequency ranges, a bookshelf is 2-way i.e. it has a separate 3/4/5" woofer for lower frequencies and a tweeter for higher sonics.
The advantage of this system is when playing music. For movies both sound great
While playing music, only the two fronts are utilized (along with sub ofcourse), as most music is stereo only. 2-way setup produces better sound and thus bookshelves will sound much better than satellites

Some suggestions on easy-to-audition brands

* Dali Zensor 1 based 5.1 system suggested by @sameuun.
4 Dali Zensor 1s, Zensor Vokal and Dali E12 subwoofer
If you want a little more oomph while playing music, you can use Zensor 3 for fronts and 1s for rear

* Q Acoustics 2020i based 5.1 system.
Q A 2020i are very well regarded bookshelf speakers.
Q Acoustics - 2000i - 5.1 Cinema Package
Replace the 2010is with the 2020is

* Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 based system
The Wharfedale Diamonds are again very well reviewed
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelf Home Theatre 5.1 Package + AV Receiver

* Tannoy Mercury V1 based system
Tannnoy Mercury are well regarded bookshelves
Tannoy V1i Cinema Package

* Boston Acoustics A26 based system
The Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelves are VFM but are also well regarded/reviewed
Boston Acoustics A 360 Home Theatre 5.1 Package
(the link is a floorstanding based system, you can replace fronts with bookshelves)

You can create a 5.1 with most entry level bookshelf speakers basically, and they will be better than a satellite system for music

You have wisely decided that floorstanding speakers would be overkill for your room. It is indeed a small listening area

I confess my expertise in this area is very limited, but no harm taking a shot at answering some of your questions

1. The reviews suggest Monitor Audio Mass system is rather good. Hence they might be worth the price
However, I personally think we could do better than a satellite based system at this price

2. Strictly going by experiences of forum members, unless you are living in Bombay where MZ Audio (Marantz India distributors) are based, maybe it is safer to skip Marantz brand
(again not personal experience, but too many people seem to voicing unhappiness over service situation)
Marantz IS supposed to sound sweeter, and since you care about music, you should take the final call if that (slight) increase in music playback justifies the increased risk due to lack of service
I personally picked Denon X1000 last year, mainly because of the substantial premium Marantz charges for the equivalent model - I did not find the increase in musicality was worth the price difference

3. Already answered above. The distributor is in Bombay and people in other cities have reported problems getting service

4. Your question intrigued me and I did some googling
It seems like KEF, Wharfedale and Quad are owned by Chinese
However all of them continue to have their headquarters and all engineering/R&D in UK. The Chinese owners are more investors

I hope this does not impact your purchase decision though

5. Instead of satellite systems, you could consider bookshelf based systems
Unlike satellite systems, which utilize a single driver for all frequency ranges, a bookshelf is 2-way i.e. it has a separate 3/4/5" woofer for lower frequencies and a tweeter for higher sonics.
The advantage of this system is when playing music. For movies both sound great
While playing music, only the two fronts are utilized (along with sub ofcourse), as most music is stereo only. 2-way setup produces better sound and thus bookshelves will sound much better than satellites

Some suggestions on easy-to-audition brands

* Dali Zensor 1 based 5.1 system suggested by @sameuun.
4 Dali Zensor 1s, Zensor Vokal and Dali E12 subwoofer
If you want a little more oomph while playing music, you can use Zensor 3 for fronts and 1s for rear

* Q Acoustics 2020i based 5.1 system.
Q A 2020i are very well regarded bookshelf speakers.
Q Acoustics - 2000i - 5.1 Cinema Package
Replace the 2010is with the 2020is

* Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 based system
The Wharfedale Diamonds are again very well reviewed
Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelf Home Theatre 5.1 Package + AV Receiver

* Tannoy Mercury V1 based system
Tannnoy Mercury are well regarded bookshelves
Tannoy V1i Cinema Package

* Boston Acoustics A26 based system
The Boston Acoustics A26 bookshelves are VFM but are also well regarded/reviewed
Boston Acoustics A 360 Home Theatre 5.1 Package
(the link is a floorstanding based system, you can replace fronts with bookshelves)

You can create a 5.1 with most entry level bookshelf speakers basically, and they will be better than a satellite system for music
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply!
So I think I'll audition Dali and Q Acoustics.

After some searching I found that although Denon and Marantz come from the same parent company the distributors are different which causes the service differences.

dali vokal 21900
zensor 1 23700
dali ef 12 sub 54900
zensor 3 33000
zensor 5 54500

see if u can bargain, shud easily get 15% off. on MRP.
I have Zensor 1(2pair), Zensor 5, Zensor vokal and sub from polk PSW 550, (dali sub 12 isnt available in India at the moment).

Zensor5 is bit too much even for me.
if u really gonna add gud SUB, u shudnt be needing zensor 5. just stick with zensor 3 for Front and zensor 1 for surround, thats it. :)

hope this wud help.

let me know if u need a dealer in delhi, will ask my dealer, he must know someone in delhi for sure. :)
Yes, I do need the details of any dealers that might have the Dali for demo.
Thanks again.

@grunthos

The MA Mass satellites do have a 25mm tweeter and 10cm mid/bass driver.
So I think it is still better than the usual satellite packages.
But I guess it might not be as good as a bookshelves setup.
Is that correct?

@grunthos

The MA Mass satellites do have a 25mm tweeter and 10cm mid/bass driver.
So I think it is still better than the usual satellite packages.
But I guess it might not be as good as a bookshelves setup.
Is that correct?

That would explain the higher ratings (and price) :)
But no harm in checking out options - most of the brands I highlighted are comparatively easily available. And auditioning is a lot of fun

As is the most favorite advice of the forum - use reviews to shortlist, but make your final decision based on your own listening :)

Hi,

You should be going for 2nd option ie Mass by MA & Denon AVR x 1100 as the mass series is also too good as a 2.1 set up for two channel listeners.

Regards

Homiyar.

Mumbai
Thanks for your reply!
Are you using either Denon or Monitor Audio?

Anyway I wish to audition Dali and Q Acoustics.
Sound by Design don't have Dali for demo right now.

Do you want to complete a 5.1 on the first instance or if there is a possibility, take it step by step, start with a 2.1 or a 3.0(Front + Center) and move upwards later on. 1.5L is a good budget, but if your looking for something really nice and not just a setup which would play surround, I suggest go slow.. buy good speakers, u'll be amazed what the speaker difference can do with just the next level. take any brand, like youve listed Dali Zensor, audition the Ikon's and you'll be stumped, similarly the Wharfedale, KEF. I would recommend an audition of the B&W 685/6's, though they are heavily priced and I dont know if the AVR's could power them well, but give them a try.

I had a 5.1 setup earlier Marantz SR5002 & Dia 9.2,9.CS,10.DFS, SWF150, changed my setup to a stereo setup now and somehow Ive started liking watching movies in the 2.0 format, what I really feel is the speakers make a lot of difference and its very noticeable in the budget to the immediate next level.

Cheers & good luck with your hunt.

Do you want to complete a 5.1 on the first instance or if there is a possibility, take it step by step, start with a 2.1 or a 3.0(Front + Center) and move upwards later on. 1.5L is a good budget, but if your looking for something really nice and not just a setup which would play surround, I suggest go slow.. buy good speakers, u'll be amazed what the speaker difference can do with just the next level. take any brand, like youve listed Dali Zensor, audition the Ikon's and you'll be stumped, similarly the Wharfedale, KEF. I would recommend an audition of the B&W 685/6's, though they are heavily priced and I dont know if the AVR's could power them well, but give them a try.

I had a 5.1 setup earlier Marantz SR5002 & Dia 9.2,9.CS,10.DFS, SWF150, changed my setup to a stereo setup now and somehow Ive started liking watching movies in the 2.0 format, what I really feel is the speakers make a lot of difference and its very noticeable in the budget to the immediate next level.

Cheers & good luck with your hunt.
Thanks a lot for your reply!

However, I really do want to complete the setup now only.
Plus the budget is also an extended one since my original budget was not this much but I soon realised that I needed to increase it to get something decent of my liking.
Towers will be too much for my room so I'm only looking at bookshelves and satellites.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back