Fiio e17 review

arin

e17_01.jpg

Price around Rs7700
I purchased it at Proaudiohome.com, the retail store of Pristine Note. This was my second purchase and impressed by their customer support yet again.

Detailed Specs
? Output Power:
>250mW (16? Loaded );
>36mW (300? Loaded)
? Headphone Impedance
Range: 16 ? ~ 300 ?
? SNR:
?109dB?A weight?[AMP];
?104dB?A weight?[DAC]
? Distortion:
<0.001%(AMP);
<0.007%(DAC)
? Support sampling rate(Max):
96K/24bit [USB] ;
192K/24bit [SPDIF]
? Frequency response:
10Hz~100KHz[AMP];
10Hz~20KHz[DAC]
? Battery capacity, charging
time and using time:
1500Mah/3.5H/15H
? Size: 96mm x 55mm x 15.2mm
? Weight: 112g

Looks and build

It's been praised worldwide for the solid construction and it does feel like a Hi-Fi gadget and not another cheaper Chinese product. LED display is bright and minimalism and so is the firmware. NO bells and whistles here, just direct control of input, volume, bass, treble & L/R balance. There is also an option to stop the USB charging, which is recommended to enhance the lifespan of battery.

Features

? same dac as E7 (WM8740) but better receiver Tenor TE7022 leads to better quality audio output. Even the Amp section is pretty good.

? 24bit/192Khz on S/PDIF(COX & optical) & 24bit/96Khz on USB

? around 15H battery life

? Digital inputs for Optical, Co-axial and USB

? Analogue (AUX) input for portable media players, cellphone,etc

? Line-out available, if you just want to use it as a dac.

Sound

Overall sound quality is impressive and it does sound warm with plenty of details and a good soundstage.

Bass adjustments are a bliss especially for headphones like Sennheiser HD 5XX series. My Sennheiser HD 555( moded into 595) sounds great with E17, otherwise lacks lower end presence. On headphones, higher boost(12db) with lower volume will give an even more warmer sound than lower boost with higher volume, so you can somewhat adjust the 'sound signature'.

It also has three modes of amplification boost, 0db, 6db and 12db, which can be selected according to the needs. Along with that a volume of 0 to 60 can be selected. Simply put, it is loud enough for easy to drive headphones. I don't have any 300ohm headphone, so cannot comment on that. On my Soundmagic e10 earphones, 0db with volume around 30 is good enough.

As far as usage as portable Amp is concerned, it pairs up with anything with ease. I have just tried it with Sansa clip+ and it essentially enhances the dynamic range and soundstage along with bass(or treble) boost/reduction if required. It also worked with my Nokia phone but I don't plan to use it as a source.

I have not heard too many DACs but it sounds better than Fiio E7. When compared to the soundcard of laptops, it is definitely an upgrade. In a quieter environment, you can appreciate the difference in quality even more.

I have tested it on different genres of music, and it's more or less versatile in reproduction of music. I have tried it on Rock, Trance, Hip-hop and even bollywood tracks and it adds energy to everything that you throw at it. More expensive DAC/AMP setup may sound better but at this price point(under 10k) it is pretty much the best thing you can get.

Last edited:
Was considering it for my newly acquired Denon d2k. (great sound). But in a moment of madness,(guess my headphone listening days are nearing an end so wanted to go out with a bang!!) got hold of a schiit asgard and shipping it thro' PPObox. will post my impressions on arrival.

Arin, what mods did you do on the HD555? And what were the changes in sound?

The mods, essentially increases the high frequency response, which makes the sound more natural with a very open and spacious sound. At the same time, it sounds less muddy.

First of all, I did the famous 'Foam mod' that is to remove the piece of foam, that was attached to the grill of the headphone. Apparently, HD555 and HD595 had same drivers and the ONLY difference was the piece of foam, that reduced the quality of sound for HD555.

Next I performed the 'soundstage mod', where I removed the inner layer of the grill. It enhanced the soundstage even more. After that they sound better than stock HD595.

here are the links:

DETAILED Instructions for Soundstage Mod HD555 Headphones

555 mod make it a 595 - YouTube

HD 555 Soundstage mod (and crack detail) - YouTube

Nice review. I am glad to know you are able to use equalizer settings on this DAC. I am not satisfied with their quality on E7. It just ruins the sound. Hopefully FiiO has filled that gap with this one.

The mods, essentially increases the high frequency response, which makes the sound more natural with a very open and spacious sound. At the same time, it sounds less muddy.

First of all, I did the famous 'Foam mod' that is to remove the piece of foam, that was attached to the grill of the headphone. Apparently, HD555 and HD595 had same drivers and the ONLY difference was the piece of foam, that reduced the quality of sound for HD555.

Next I performed the 'soundstage mod', where I removed the inner layer of the grill. It enhanced the soundstage even more. After that they sound better than stock HD595.

here are the links:

DETAILED Instructions for Soundstage Mod HD555 Headphones

555 mod make it a 595 - YouTube

HD 555 Soundstage mod (and crack detail) - YouTube

Arin,

Thanks bro. I am aware of those mods(head fi lurker :)). But wanted to know if someone here had tried out and what all you did other than that. Also its reassuring to know from you that the improvement is actually there. Have you listened to the hd595?

Nice review. I am glad to know you are able to use equalizer settings on this DAC. I am not satisfied with their quality on E7. It just ruins the sound. Hopefully FiiO has filled that gap with this one.

The equalizer settings are awesome indeed, with bass and treble settings right from -10 to +10. Moreover, even at +10db or -10db, The other frequencies are not much affected as the boost or cut is applied in a very nice non-linear manner.

E17 is overall better than e7 because both it's dac section as well as Amp section is better but only downside is that e17 does not pair with Cellphone's digital out through USB OTG. I have tried it on my friends N8 and e17 does not work as a dac whereas e7 does work as a dac with such phones.

Arin,

Thanks bro. I am aware of those mods(head fi lurker :)). But wanted to know if someone here had tried out and what all you did other than that. Also its reassuring to know from you that the improvement is actually there. Have you listened to the hd595?

Yes I have heard hd595 but not side by side along with my modded hd555 so I cannot comment on that but according to certain hi-fi reviewers, it does sound exactly the same.

As far as any further mods, I fear I might just kill my headphones so I did not try anything else. Actually I custom wired my Soundmagic e10 earphones after the wire was damaged but I hear no improvement in quality.

If you are at bangalore I can send you my ultimate ears tf10.please make your review more expanding.please note the difference in soundstage.I want to know the sound stage of e17 as an amp.If you are happy kindly allow me to send my tf10 to you.please check it and post a review.

If you are at bangalore I can send you my ultimate ears tf10.please make your review more expanding.please note the difference in soundstage.I want to know the sound stage of e17 as an amp.If you are happy kindly allow me to send my tf10 to you.please check it and post a review.

I am not at Bangalore now. You can check out other guys, who might have tried e17 on Triple-fi.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back