Finally Dual 1209 plinth ready

Beginner_N

DIY plinth with CNC cutting for profile. 5 layer 18mm ply and external wood.
DIY legs in brass.
2a440d14c5c4f2843dec9152f19eab15.jpg
313fb4c0b3fafe19ae9b8dc9ef1058f4.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Great work ! Looks very solid and heavy , stable. Not too many such works on restoration of vintage TT done here , per my knowledge.
I have a Dual 1228 , and looking for a new plinth .
Is there a way I can get it done a similar plinth for my Dual 1228? Details please !

Please share details on how you cut the inner holes, sanded, painted/varnished the plinth and also details of the spiked feet. Great job!!
As I mentioned external body is of wood, and then filled it with 5 layers of plywood inside. Top sheet is veneer. Made a 3D model of it so that I can get it cut on CNC machine. Designed spike feet on own, it's quite simple as machine design is my bread and butter.

Once all done did planning of all four sides. Used 120 and 150 sanding paper. Applied polishing powder let it dry, once dry use 180 or 220 paper. Swipe it with dry cloth. Start applying polish, tip try to have one stroke along length. Use stainer of your choice. Be careful stainer it can spoil polish if not used properly. I used 3 coats. Don't forget to sand between each coat. Use as 220 or higher grade paper for intermediate sanding.

Feet I have made design anyone wants I can share it. I have used M6 Dnuts in wood.

Regards,
Nishant

Great work ! Looks very solid and heavy , stable. Not too many such works on restoration of vintage TT done here , per my knowledge.
I have a Dual 1228 , and looking for a new plinth .
Is there a way I can get it done a similar plinth for my Dual 1228? Details please !
Yes for sure I have cad files of my work. Need to check if profile is same, if different I can make required changes.

As I mentioned external body is of wood, and then filled it with 5 layers of plywood inside. Top sheet is veneer. Made a 3D model of it so that I can get it cut on CNC machine. Designed spike feet on own, it's quite simple as machine design is my bread and butter.

Once all done did planning of all four sides. Used 120 and 150 sanding paper. Applied polishing powder let it dry, once dry use 180 or 220 paper. Swipe it with dry cloth. Start applying polish, tip try to have one stroke along length. Use stainer of your choice. Be careful stainer it can spoil polish if not used properly. I used 3 coats. Don't forget to sand between each coat. Use as 220 or higher grade paper for intermediate sanding.

Feet I have made design anyone wants I can share it. I have used M6 Dnuts in wood.

Regards,
Nishant

Hello Nishant,

The spike feets look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you going to get a new dust cover made for this model? If yes, please let me know as I am looking for my 1209 model as well.

Cheers,
Arun.

You are making it sound very easy, too easy. In the unlikely event you took pictures of the building process could you share them. I particularly like the way the holes have been made. The entire plinth looks like it has been carved from a single block of wood.

I am planning to make a plinth someday for my TD 160, and would retain the original dimensions broadly, but have it sturdier and quieter.

Do share pix when you have mounted the TT.
Congrats

DIY plinth with CNC cutting for profile. 5 layer 18mm ply and external wood.
DIY legs in brass.
2a440d14c5c4f2843dec9152f19eab15.jpg
313fb4c0b3fafe19ae9b8dc9ef1058f4.jpg

Dear brother
I own 1210 I am looking forward to make plinth out of solid wood block, can you help me with the design dimensions you used for yours, I would be thankful for this gesture
Regards
Siddharth

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back