Firmware upgrade to enable DiVX playback

nitinbose

Hi,

I have a Sony DVD player. I'd like to know if there's any way to enable DiVX playback by updating the player firmware.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi,

The model no: DVP-NS-51P

Thanks,

Nitin

Ha ha! I got a Sony DVP-NS-50P. I am in fact on the lookout to make it region free since its from the United States. Do keep me posted in case firmware is available that allows DivX to be played on it. And also if you come across any hacks that make it region free. Shall do likewise if I come across anything.

Making your player region free should not be a problem, as I've found several sites describing the same. I guess you could just google it!!:D.

Making your player region free should not be a problem, as I've found several sites describing the same. I guess you could just google it!!:D.

Hi Nitin,

Already tried Google Maharaj!!! Only hacks that work are with a Palm which I don't have and even there 100% success is not guaranteed. My particular model in fact has more queries asking for hacks on most of the forums than any actual hacks that work.

Hi Nitin,

Already tried Google Maharaj!!! Only hacks that work are with a Palm which I don't have and even there 100% success is not guaranteed. My particular model in fact has more queries asking for hacks on most of the forums than any actual hacks that work.

Me too did a search , did not find a decent hack for you guys !!

Last edited:
Hi,

The model no: DVP-NS-51P

Thanks,

Nitin

HI nitin/moser please try this :-

? Turn On the unit with the remote controller
? Wait until "no disc" appears in the unit's display
? Press Pause, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 9
? The word "CODE" should appear in the display
? Within five seconds, press the key that corresponds to the zone you want i.e. 0 for region free, 1 for region 1, 2 for region 2 and so on
? Again, within 5 seconds, press Pause and Power
If the above fails to work then you may wish to try the following:
? Put the player into Standby mode
? Press 1 and Return on remote for region 1, 2 and Return for region 2, and so on. Use 0 and Return to return player to default region settings
? Press P-Mode and Return to play DVD's with the selected region, auto-switching is Off
? Press Audio and Return for auto-switching On
? Press Angle and Return for MacroVision On
? Press Subtitle and Return for MacroVision Off

Found it in a website and may just work !

HI nitin/moser please try this :-

? Turn On the unit with the remote controller
? Wait until "no disc" appears in the unit's display
? Press Pause, 3, 1, 4, 1, 5, 9
? The word "CODE" should appear in the display
? Within five seconds, press the key that corresponds to the zone you want i.e. 0 for region free, 1 for region 1, 2 for region 2 and so on
? Again, within 5 seconds, press Pause and Power
If the above fails to work then you may wish to try the following:
? Put the player into Standby mode
? Press 1 and Return on remote for region 1, 2 and Return for region 2, and so on. Use 0 and Return to return player to default region settings
? Press P-Mode and Return to play DVD's with the selected region, auto-switching is Off
? Press Audio and Return for auto-switching On
? Press Angle and Return for MacroVision On
? Press Subtitle and Return for MacroVision Off

Found it in a website and may just work !

Hi illusion,

Thanks a ton for your efforts. Unfortunately, not working on my model Sony DVP-NS-50P, but hopefully should work for Nitin. Thanks for your help anyways. Much appreciated.

Hi,

I'm actually looking for a firmware update to make my dvd player to read DiVX.

This is very unlikely because almost all standalone DVD players use hardware (chip) to decode DIVX. The DIVX capability is built into the chip itself. So a firmware upgrade cannot enable DIVX on your DVD player. Time for an upgrade :)

Hi,

I'm actually looking for a firmware update to make my dvd player to read DiVX.

As of now, not possible. I haven't even found any exchange offer for taking back DVD player and getting new DivX player like they do for TVs.

As of now, not possible. I haven't even found any exchange offer for taking back DVD player and getting new DivX player like they do for TVs.

There was a diwali exchange offer going on. But whats the use they were offering only Rs 500/- in exchange. I think if we keep our existing player then also it would be of more value to us !

There was a diwali exchange offer going on. But whats the use they were offering only Rs 500/- in exchange. I think if we keep our existing player then also it would be of more value to us !

I totally agree. In fact I got myself a Seventymm subscription and I am putting the old Sony to proper use even now after a couple of years. It does not play DivX, but since I made it region free its perfect for playing all kinds of DVDs thrown at it. Really no sense in exchanging stuff for Rs. 500.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back