first DIY, subwoofer. need advise with components.

Hi Guys,

I need to get/make a mono rca subwoofer cable, want to try different positions to see which one sounds best. Any ideas as to which ones are good and cheap. I can make my own also, will be a good learning experience. If nothing else works out, monoprice has some cheap ones available. Heard a lot about belden 1694A coax cable, any idea if its available in india and how much it costs. Would also need good RCA connectors also. I still havent calculated, but it will be about 35-50 ft approximately.

thanx.

Neat work :cool: congrats !!!!
Are you planning to veneer or paint the surface ?
What material are you using for spikes??

Regards,
Anil

Neat work :cool: congrats !!!!
Are you planning to veneer or paint the surface ?
What material are you using for spikes??

Regards,
Anil

thanx.
i will probably go for automotive paint once I am sure everything is fine. Is the automotive paint supposed to be waterproof? if not, i might go for some veneer.
I saw some conical spikes, basially made for masons for levelling, it has threads for a screw. not sure if thats what i want. might ask some friend to get something from US.

I saw some conical spikes, basially made for masons for levelling,

this is what you saw?

masonsspikesforsubwoofe.jpg

By witchesofsound, shot with DMC-FZ7 at 2010-04-12

should work like a dream with your subwoofer - create a receptacle - araldite - you're done - cost = 30 bucks each INR

the ones I saw had much better finish as that was machined and there was no neck on it, just a conical shape with a hole in the center.

any info on the cable guys?

For experimenting, you can try the normal coaxial cable used by cablewallas (try polycab, not sure abt the name) and use MX connectors and once you are satisfied, either you can try with DIY using (Belden 1505F\8294 (stranded core) cable with good quality connectors) or branded ones.

Last edited:
thanx sajith, will give the cablewallah cable a try.

yeah cranky, thats the one I could find. does this work well for sub feet. How do you connect this to the sub bottom. I was thinking of using a screw in reverse with the t-nuts and hammering the t-nuts into the base and then just screw the feet. Any other ideas.

This is suboptimal as it needs a bolt protruding through the floor of the sub. But there is no other way.

You can use a bolt with a shaved head fixed into a T-nut at one end and the spike on the other, or fix a bolt into the body first (from inside the sub) and then fasten the spike to it - needless to say you cannot level the sub out like this so you better have an even floor or use three spikes (self-levelling).
the floor is not levelled. I always have had issues this floor.
The method you think of may result in instability - T-nuts are not famous for being able to take a small lateral force so most people use inserts, which penetrate deeper into the cabinet. One way to overcome this is to use a very long bolt and drill all the way through the sub.
Come to think of it, I dont think I will be able to use the t-nuts either as the thread size in the t-nut and the spikes are different. I remember noticing this when I saw the spikes.
What kind of inserts are you talking about. Do you have a pic or wiki link for this.
Try not to use the TV cable - it is inflexible and has relatively high capacitance. A regular RCA interconnect will do just fine - flexible, low capacitance microphone cable works well for applications like this. I like using Neutrik Profi RCAs, regular Neutrik RCAs or for lower cost applications, the top-end MX plugs. All take large diameter cable and retain springiness after hundreds of insertions, unfortunately most cheap RCAs do not.

Could you please recommend some microphone cable that I could use for this. Regular RCAs are quite expensive for this kind of lengths. How much do the Neutrik RCAs cost approximately.
The regular interconnects are quite expensive for these kind of lengths

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back