First home theater under 40k

suman

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, after doing a lots of research and coming to this forum i have decided not to buy any HTIB. :)

My budget is limited to 40k and think will be able to stretch it max 50k (obviously with missus blessings) and looking for a full 5.1 setup to start with, not looking to miss a component now and add it later to begin with. It was tough for me to convince my missus to have a HT in the first place, she wont like it if I get her something half baked.

Apartment Living room size is 14X18X9 with false ceiling (Tv on 14ft wall, Samsung 40" FHD with no ARC). Usage is Movie 50, Music 30, Rest is Airtel DTH HD.

I shortlisted Yamaha YHT 1840 and Onkyo STS 300 as my starting point, but reading through various suggestions from forum members decided to move on from these.

Feel free to suggest anything which you think will suit me. I am from Kolkata, so please suggest me stores where you think I can have a good audition and where should I buy.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
My budget is limited to 40k and think will be able to stretch it max 50k

Feel free to suggest anything which you think will suit me. I am from Kolkata, so please suggest me stores where you think I can have a good audition and where should I buy.

When you have budget of 50K for now, skip the HTIB package..

Consider any 5.1 AVR + Taga TAV series 5.0 speaker package(with Floor stander), which will be within your budget.. Later you can add subwoofer to complete 5.1 set-up, which will be better than HTIB set-up..

IMO, better to buy it online, where you can get lucrative deals and make your system better..

I'd suggest you start off by buying a decent amp and a 2.1 speaker set for now. You can add the surround sound and center channel if required later on.

My suggestion: Denon X540BT or Yamaha 3067 AVR
Speakers: Polk S15 bookshelfs and a TAGA Subwoofer

This set up alone is going to cost you upwards of 60k.

If you want a complete set around 50k then the TAGA Harmony TAV-606 V3 Speaker Package along with the Yamaha 3067 AVR. Do note that the Yamaha AVR does not have HDCP 2.2 so it will not play any UHD (4k) copyrighted content.

https://www.hifimart.com/package-de.../taga-harmony-tav-606-v3-speaker-package.html

Consider any 5.1 AVR + Taga TAV series 5.0 speaker package(with Floor stander), which will be within your budget.. Later you can add subwoofer to complete 5.1 set-up, which will be better than HTIB set-up..

hi elangoas, thanks for your suggestion. I don't think my missus will appreciate anything without Sub as she loves a good thump. I am open to buy used AVR from forum members if it is available in right price as per your experience.

Hello,

Even, I am new here and looking for 5.1 is same budget. Now, I have decided to go for marantz and Bookshelf for now and will add the surrounds and sub later.
Since you don't want to "build"your setup, there are two options for you:
AVRs: Denon 250BT or yamaha 3067 or Pioneer VSX 330
Speaker package : Polk TL1600 (5.1) or Taga 606(5.0) or Denon Sys2020 (5.1)

I have listened to Denon 250bt+polk tl1600 and the combo sounded good (fast n furious clip)

Sorry for delay in updating this post, got busy with work.

I am thinking of buying either TAGA Harmony TAV-606 SE and adding a sub later or Polk Audio TL1600.

Which of these two should I go with. Yet to decide on the AVR, on the lookout for sell by FM.

Long due update, purchased Denon540 along with Taga Tav-606 SE speakers. Connected with Airtel DTH and HD movies are not the same anymore.

Only trouble I am having is playing videos from usb using tv. My Samsung J5100 tv neither have digital audio out nor ARC port. It has conventional analogue ports with something called mini jack audio out.

How can I play usb using tv's usb but sound should come from my speaker system.

Also what subwoofer should I go for in a tight budget of 15k max. Looking for a used from FM as I have overshot my budget already.

Long due update, purchased Denon540 along with Taga Tav-606 SE speakers. Connected with Airtel DTH and HD movies are not the same anymore.

Only trouble I am having is playing videos from usb using tv. My Samsung J5100 tv neither have digital audio out nor ARC port. It has conventional analogue ports with something called mini jack audio out.

Also what subwoofer should I go for in a tight budget of 15k max. Looking for a used from FM as I have overshot my budget already.

These should work? Check around before you buy

https://www.amazon.in/AmazonBasics-...qid=1542290579&sr=1-4&keywords=optical+to+rca

Long due update, purchased Denon540 along with Taga Tav-606 SE speakers.

Congrats.. Do share some pics..

Hope you are trying to play movies on the TV's USB port and get surround sound via AVR?.. If so, get an inexpensive Android TV Box.. Sells for 3 - 5K INR, which had HDMI out.. You can connect the Android TV Box to AVR.. This way movies play in surround sound (if the movie file has it.. Will play most video codecs and play all audio files..

Taga TSW series 90/120 subwoofers are aval at 18 ~ 20K ; slightly above your budget.. Try both route & settle for whichever is the best deal..

Where did you buy?If online, Please send me the link. Im also planning to buy one.How much did it cost? What abput warranty?

Last edited:
I'm looking for the same under 70k. I have short listed NR 1508 or denon X 550bt? Which one is better? Taga harmony 406/506/606/se. whats extra in 606se? Looking for suggestions and authorised online dealer for the same.

Thanks

Where did you buy?If online, Please send me the link. Im also planning to buy one.How much did it cost? What abput warranty?

AVR from Harmonie Audio in Kolkata @28k
Speakers from Amazon @30k with 6 months EMI (needed the same to stretch my budget;))
All carries official standard manufacturer warranty

Last edited:
How good are Taga speakers? As they have a very low price tag compared to others I am really curious about their performance

How good are Taga speakers? As they have a very low price tag compared to others I am really curious about their performance

TBH they are very good for their price, give it some try to break in. Audition all available options in your budget and choose the one that sounds best to you.

Found the simplest of solution to play videos from usb, it actually was staring at me from the beginning. There is a usb port in airtel STB which can play media files in, downside is it doesn't support .srt files.

Using this I have saved on additional device purchase and maintenance, will request others to give it a try and report any new finding.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back