First HT Build - Need Advise!

baligavinod

Hello HFV members!

I registered newly here, but for weeks, I have been going through various threads on this forum in my quest to build my first ever HT build :yahoo:

I have shortlisted my requirements and restrictions. I will list my restrictions first as they play a major role in narrowing down on my build components:

• Budget :(
  • Living Room Size/Shape :indifferent14:

Budget: I am on a tight budget (40-45k for now) but based on suggestions in various other threads, I am not going to go for a HTiB but instead go for an incremental build. Probably buy AV-Receiver and a couple of speakers for now (L+R). After that whenever I can afford I will add remaining speakers and sub.

Living Room Size/Shape: My living room is a bit longish in shape (20 ft by 13 ft) and TV Setup is in one of the corners. I don't think I can accommodate big bulky tower speakers on either sides of the TV without making changes to my furniture setup which would be a bit expensive :confused:

Now to the requirements:

• Setup will be used mostly for Movies, Music, TV (in that order)
  • No HTiBs - unless someone can really convince me that they are worth it!
  • As future proof as possible while remaining in range of my budget
  • Since it's my first attempt at HT setup, I am not inclined towards any particular brand.

So considering the above points, please advise me on how to go about it. I want to shortlist some options before I go out for audition/demonstrations. Also, it would be very helpful if you guys can suggest places to get demonstrations in Bangalore. Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer have a dealer close to where I live.

Thanks in advance for your precious advise and time :signthankspin: Hopefully I haven't missed anything while listing my requirements and constraints.

~Vinod

Since you wanted to do it on phased manner try to get good speakers than getting / spending more on Receiver. Cause speakers are going to be with you for long than receivers.

Hi Vinod,

First of all, welcome to the Forum :)

As suggested by FM Pioneer VSX 830K is a good AVR to start off with, provided your fine with preowned receiver. It certainly has all the feature one could look for. With left out money you could buy any one of following speakers within your budget, these are well received/acclaimed speakers within forum in 20k budget.

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220
Boston Acoustics BA26

Else if your keen on new AVR's then i think you might need to stretch your budget a bit.

:cheers:
Binu

If budget is tight and you are not so keen on high end audio performance, below combo can be procured from hifimart for 47k

TAGA Harmony TAV-406 v.2 Set - 21k
Pioneer VSX-330 AV Receiver - 26k

I have not auditioned TAGA, so cannot comment on it, but VSX330 is a good one

If your plan is to get the best for the buck and ready to build it up slowly, got for below combo to start with

Pioneer VSX-330 AV Receiver - 26k
Wharfedale Diamond 210 bookshelves pair - 15k
which will add upto 41k. You can spare another 3-4 k for needed cables

Later, once you have enough moolah, you can add on below to expand it

Wharfedale Diamond 220C Centre Channel Speaker - 16k
Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS Rear Surround Speakers - pair - 15k
Wharfedale D10 sub - 28k

Wharfedale is good speaker set and will not disappoint you ....

Greymarket prices will be much lower than this, but bear the risk of having zero warranty

As always, please do audition before you take a call

Last edited:
Agree with ItsMe. You can also look at Boston Acoustics A 25/ 26 and ASW 250 SW. My only advice is get a matching center channel along with it based on whatever stereo speakers you buy. All these speakers are imported and hence availability can be unsure. You don't want to get stuck with a stereo set up and not find a suitable center channel when you want to add it.
Good luck! :)

I am also new to hifivision and new to home audio.

Just purchased a pair of AudioSolutions Overture 203 fronts with overture 201 centre which run on Yamaha Rx-V681.

Now looking for a subwoofer and pair of surrounds.

Need advice on these things:

1. Two SVS PB1000 or one PB2000?
2. Surrounds options (a) Paradigm Surround 3v7 (b) Polk FxiA6 (c) Wharfedale Diamond DFS
3. To add atmos shortlisted sonodyne Sonus 3540 height speakers. Is it a right decision.

Thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back