First Timer - Need help in buying and setting up Home Theatre System

[email protected]

Hi Friends,
I happened to visit a Bose Showroom where I got a demo of their speakers and for the first time I felt that what we have been listening all these years was anything but good. I could feel the difference between lossless and lossy audio signal.
This made me felt of buying a Home Theatre System.
I found out that there are 3 ways of buying it :
1. A HTIB with BlueRay/DVD Player with Receiver/Amplifier built in.
2. A HTIB i.e. a complete package.
3. Assemble your own.

Being a novice in this field, and considering that option 1 is going to limit the audio quality and I/O options, I am preferring to go with option 2.

I have a budget of 30k or so.

Another Issue I am facing is of setting up HTIB once bought.

I have attached the layout of the drawing room where my current TV is installed.
In Mumbai, One side wall is always a full size window with sliding doors. An open kitchen is also there.
The height of the room is 8' 10" uniform.
Blue is Window
Pink is Currently TV is mounted here
Brown is the Main Door
Black here is not inside home.
Rest all are walls.
I am not sure how to position home theatre as well.

Kindly suggest me.

Attachments

• home theatre.jpg
    home theatre.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi

I would suggest to go and audition entry level systems from Yamaha / Pioneer / Onkyo which are available with Vijay Sales / Croma / E Zone / Reliance Digital...these start from 25k onwards (depends on which model).....

Accordingly decide if the same meets your expectations.....don't buy something where you need to crank up the volume upto 75% to get the effect or satisfaction....it is always better to go for something which is more powerful so you can enjoy entertainment at low volumes and increase it enough when you have a party etc.....

If budget is a challenge / fixed, see the For Sale by Owner section or Hifiads.com where there are some good deals of great systems at reasonable rates

Hi

I would suggest to go and audition entry level systems from Yamaha / Pioneer / Onkyo which are available with Vijay Sales / Croma / E Zone / Reliance Digital...these start from 25k onwards (depends on which model).....

Accordingly decide if the same meets your expectations.....don't buy something where you need to crank up the volume upto 75% to get the effect or satisfaction....it is always better to go for something which is more powerful so you can enjoy entertainment at low volumes and increase it enough when you have a party etc.....

If budget is a challenge / fixed, see the For Sale by Owner section or Hifiads.com where there are some good deals of great systems at reasonable rates

Thanks Friend. I was getting hopeless of any reply after around 70 views.. I appreciate your suggestion. I would go to audition one tomorrow.

I have read some great reviews about Yamaha YT 299. I was thinking to go with it after I audition it tomorrow. It is probably available for 35k in Reliance Digital. I got to know that it has HTR 3066 receiver which is showing discontinued in Yamaha site.
I am not sure of the kind of support I should be expecting from Yamaha.
Also I dont see if it could be connected with WIFI.

Along with it another huge concern that I was facing was that will a home theatre work good in the kind of layout my living room has. I have provided the layout in the attachment in my first post.

Please suggest.

Hi,

From your room layout, setting up a surround sound system will be bit difficult unless you make some structural changes to your room. It is verymuch possible, but your TV/screen will not be centered and wont be a good experience. I will suggest you to start with a good AV receiver and a 3.1 channel system which gives you a very good experience. Do not go for an HTIB, which is very difficult to upgrade in future.
If budget is a constrain, look for a good receiver and a two channel system which you can upgrade whenever you want.
Once again - do not go for an HTIB, if you want to replicate a good movie theater experience.

Hi,

From your room layout, setting up a surround sound system will be bit difficult unless you make some structural changes to your room. It is verymuch possible, but your TV/screen will not be centered and wont be a good experience. I will suggest you to start with a good AV receiver and a 3.1 channel system which gives you a very good experience. Do not go for an HTIB, which is very difficult to upgrade in future.
If budget is a constrain, look for a good receiver and a two channel system which you can upgrade whenever you want.
Once again - do not go for an HTIB, if you want to replicate a good movie theater experience.

Ok sir.. I understand that.
So which av receiver and 3.1 do u recommend in a budget of say 30-35k. Being a novice I am a bit reluctant to going for partial system. I was earlier thinking to go for an htib for say 5-7 years and then when I have some good existence with it I will be on a better position to judge it. But I would prefer to listen to your advice.
Kindly suggest

Hi,

If you are looking for pre owned stuff due to budget constraints, there is a Marantz avr available which has all the required features you want. See Hifi ads....it is NR1605....Mumbai based seller...

I am not sure how to position home theatre as well.

Guess your seating position is right opposite you to your TV, i don't see any challenge in setting up your HT..

We sometimes have to live with some limitations and compromises with the room layout..So don't worry about near perfect placement..Get it close to the best possible for your room layout..

I have read some great reviews about Yamaha YT 299. I was thinking to go with it after I audition it tomorrow. It is probably available for 35k in Reliance Digital.

Think RD is offering 15% discount if purchased with citibank credit/debit card for diwali.. So try to locate a friend who has Citibank credit card, where you can save 2 - 3K on your purchase..

I got to know that it has HTR 3066 receiver which is showing discontinued in Yamaha site. I am not sure of the kind of support I should be expecting from Yamaha.

Don't worry abt product being discontinued,. Warranty starts from the day the product is billed..As long as you have Yamaha India warranty, you are fine. It is Yamaha's headache to handle you juz incase you happen to run in to issues..

Also I dont see if it could be connected with WIFI.

Some AVR's support with wifi dongle.. If this model supports, try to bargain with RD and ask for a compliment :eek:hyeah:

Along with it another huge concern that I was facing was that will a home theatre work good in the kind of layout my living room has. I have provided the layout in the attachment in my first post.

Your left, center, right will be placed on the same wall as your TV.. To your seating position, mount the Surround left & right.. You may need to buy additional cables for surround as the supplied one's may not be enough..

It will work..Stop worrying, start enjoying :eek:hyeah:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back