Fix nad t785 for 37k or just get a newer receiver

I am

Hi
so i returned home to Mumbai after 6 months and saw that my nad t785 is not working anymore. If needs a new hdmi board and amp board module. Estimate is 37k. I use this receiver to process signals and drive the rear speakers of my 5.1 Dynaudio setup. I also sent a preout to a classe amp which drives the towers. Was wondering whether you suggest reparing this receiver or buying a new one. TV is ultra HD. Would like bt too. Should I repair or replace and if replace what with. I don't use this much and hence don't wanna spend too much. Used receiver will do too. Tia

Hi
so i returned home to Mumbai after 6 months and saw that my nad t785 is not working anymore. If needs a new hdmi board and amp board module. Estimate is 37k. I use this receiver to process signals and drive the rear speakers of my 5.1 Dynaudio setup. I also sent a preout to a classe amp which drives the towers. Was wondering whether you suggest reparing this receiver or buying a new one. TV is ultra HD. Would like bt too. Should I repair or replace and if replace what with. I don't use this much and hence don't wanna spend too much. Used receiver will do too. Tia
I'm wondering how did both the HDMI and the amp board module conk off? High voltage? The current voltage in india is now 240v with 10% tolerance. Just 2 years back it used to be 230v +- 5%. It could be just the power supply. I have seen voltage go above 250v often. As per the standards it can go upto 256 volts. Can you confirm if you were using this without a voltage stabilize? If you get repaired, please put a voltage stabilizer. Please take a second opinion from some good technician other than the official service centre. It could be the standby SMPS power supply that goes bad first. I feel bad about the 37k cost.

All equipment meant for the India had the 230v specs. It is only recent that new equipment imported to India have to comply with 240v +- 10%. In my complex I'm seeing reqular complaints of TVs, Microwave ovens, laptop power supplies conking off, some of which were running more than 20 years without problems.

From the NAD T785 specs -
Frequency range 530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version only, 10kHz steps) 531kHz - 1602kHz (230V version only, 9kHz steps)

I'm wondering how did both the HDMI and the amp board module conk off? High voltage? The current voltage in india is now 240v with 10% tolerance. Just 2 years back it used to be 230v +- 5%. It could be just the power supply. I have seen voltage go above 250v often. As per the standards it can go upto 256 volts. Can you confirm if you were using this without a voltage stabilize? If you get repaired, please put a voltage stabilizer. Please take a second opinion from some good technician other than the official service centre. It could be the standby SMPS power supply that goes bad first. I feel bad about the 37k cost.

All equipment meant for the India had the 230v specs. It is only recent that new equipment imported to India have to comply with 240v +- 10%. In my complex I'm seeing reqular complaints of TVs, Microwave ovens, laptop power supplies conking off, some of which were running more than 20 years without problems.

From the NAD T785 specs -
Frequency range 530kHz - 1710kHz (120V version only, 10kHz steps) 531kHz - 1602kHz (230V version only, 9kHz steps)
I have a surge protector strip for the unit. It was just not turned on in months so it couldn't be voltage. Seems more like non use than anything. 1 way to lower repair cost is to buy individual ics and not entire boards but the fixer guy im dealing with cant find them. If you know any repair guys that might pls post their number.

I have a surge protector strip for the unit. It was just not turned on in months so it couldn't be voltage. Seems more like non use than anything. 1 way to lower repair cost is to buy individual ics and not entire boards but the fixer guy im dealing with cant find them. If you know any repair guys that might pls post their number.
Surge protector will protect you only from sudden surge in voltages and that is way above 260v. It doesn't regulate the voltage. Only a voltage stabilizer will stabilize the voltage. So if Ambani is supplying you 250v in your mains, there is a possiblity of equipment getting fried. Just get a solid state stabilizer from the market. They don't cost much. There have been spate of posts on voltage stabilizers in the recent few months. Just remember that servo stabilizer are the slowest, followed by stabilizers that use relays. Solid state stabilizers are the fastest. Unfortunately I don't have experience with solid state stabilizers, but came to know from this forum itself.

Electronics don't go bad with non-use. It is possible that an electrolyte capacitor on your SMPS board had started leaking and has completely dried out in the few months. In my experience, most of these electronic equipments failing in the last two years have been SMPS boards failing due to India increasing the standards for AC voltage from 230v +-5% to 240v +- 10%. Do you remember the IC which the fixer guy told you?

Also can you search this forum. I think there is a guy I have seen being recommended a lot in Bombay. I will post if I get hold of the posts.

Last edited:
The ICs in my case, I had them imported. My speaker terminals had shorted. This was more than 7 years back.

If you know this is the problem then I suggest you just get this fixed. It should come at a fraction of the cost.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back