What amplifier for Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speaker?

zanollo

I like to upgrade and replace an old Yamaha receiver.
I use the speakers only with a streamer (bluesound) currnelty. So, I don't need a DAC or other integrated amp features.
Ideally, I would like a amp without not needed features (just a trigger) But realizing that limits choice.
What should I look at? I like to stay around $1000 (used price)

I use the speakers only with a streamer (bluesound) currnelty. So, I don't need a DAC or other integrated amp features.
Ideally, I would like a amp without not needed features (just a trigger) But realizing that limits choice.
If you like the yamaha sound ,better go with latest yamaha model,

If you like the yamaha sound ,better go with latest yamaha model,
That is tough to answer as I didn't do AB testing with my speakers and the receiver being that old.
I am thinking a D class would help the Evo's.
But also, Yamaha doesn't appear to make a "pure" amp? at best integrated?

Check at Hifi mart and talk to them. Also check some you tube sound demo videos with wharfedale evo 4.2. Essentially i feel you should take an amp that compliments the mid tones capabilities of evo 4.2 while not compromising on the low end. You need good decent power to drive these speakers. I am using evo 4.1 from two years and these are my observations.

I've tried Two amps around the 1000USD mark with the Evo 4.2 viz. Cambridge Audio CXA81 and Willsenton R8. Both sound great, albeit with very different sonic characteristics.

The CXA81 has more oomph and bass and hits really hard when required. The sound has plenty of drive with emphasis on the high hats and punch of the music. It also projects a very wide soundstage. Overall, it's engineered to impress at first blush but importantly, continues to do so even thereafter.

The Willsenton R8 has a refined and relaxed approach with a more balanced sound and greater insight into the music - detail retrieval is better and resultantly, so is imaging and depth of soundstage.

You can't go wrong with either pairing of the abovesaid pairings.

Class D also doesn't sound bad with the Evo 4.2 either- I've used it with a Crown XLS amp and the SMSL DA9 but it loses some bit of the midrange magic.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back