Best option to get high pass and low pass filters for my stereo system

Venkyrenga

I am looking to buy an integrated amp with streamer and subwoofer for elac ubr62. I shortlisted Cambridge audio evo 150, Naim Uniti Atom and Marantz 40n with Rel T5x. But none seem to have high Pass filter.
So I considered buying Marantz Cinema 50 which of course has all the features or Marantz model 30 with Adam Sub 8 and CA cxn v2 so I can use the sub to set the crossover. But not sure if an av receiver or a studio sub is the way to go.
Or should I just ignore the high pass filter and go with my first preferences?

Last edited:
I am looking to buy an integrated amp with streamer and subwoofer for elac ubr62. I shortlisted Cambridge audio evo 150, Naim Uniti Atom and Marantz 40n with Rel T5x. But none seem to have high Pass filter.
So I considered buying Marantz Cinema 50 which of course has all the features or Marantz model 30 with Adam Sub 8 and CA cxn v2 so I can use the sub to set the crossover. But not sure if an av receiver or a studio sub is the way to go.
Why do you imagine you need a high pass filter? Also, REL discourages high pass filters.

I have tried this HF only route via Crown Xls 2502, the speakers sound shrill like cheap plastic speakers. Male Vocals wafer thin, female vocals shouting shrill, not advisable.
Male voice and many instruments like piano have LF notes which need to be adequately represented by the same speakers to get the a coherent feel of the emotion the musician tries to convey, separating them into frequencies hardly works, especially AVR for 2 Ch music isn't a good option.
I'd go with Marantz model 40n and Rel T5x in Your Case.

Never cut frequencies to standalone stereo speakers unless.they come as a 2.1 package where you want to integrate a different subwoofer. With standalone.stereo speakers, get an active subwoofer with onboard crossover and then integrate by setting the desired low pass and gain only for the sub. The location of the sub also plays a critical role.

To free the main speakers from extra load.
What do you expect to achieve by freeing the speakers from extra load?

I have tried this HF only route via Crown Xls 2502, the speakers sound shrill like cheap plastic speakers. Male Vocals wafer thin, female vocals shouting shrill, not advisable.
Male voice and many instruments like piano have LF notes which need to be adequately represented by the same speakers to get the a coherent feel of the emotion the musician tries to convey, separating them into frequencies hardly works, especially AVR for 2 Ch music isn't a good option.
There is actually another device intended for pure 2 channel listening which has streamer and dac built in and also has low pass filter as required by the OP which is below 1L and sounds pretty good. Now that I think about it, there are a few amplifiers which can do the job below the 2L mark.

Last edited:
Low pass filter should be enough if you have a subwoofer. Not sure why you need a high pass filter and what purpose it would serve. Better to keep the chain as simple as possible and enjoy the music.

Buying speakers that play better at lower frequencies or ones that are not out of their element when playing down to around 45-50hz would be a better direction to head into and then choose an amplifer. Demo is one way to go but not sure of the availability of equipment is where you put up.

So it requires less power and plays the mida effectively.
Does the UBR62 or any other speaker you shortlisted known to have trouble playing mid tones while also reproducing bass at the same time? If so, it may not be a very good speaker to begin with. But then again, as I see it, the UBR62 is a three way design so each driver has its own frequency band separated so I don't understand the requirement to LPF.

Secondly, I don't see any reason why an amp shouldn't be using as much power as it is rated to make unless it has a flaw with its design which cooks it.

But since you don't want to use all of the power, look at the Bluesound Powernode which has only 50w x 2 but then again, all the power will not be required as you'll be using an LPF while coupling it with a Sub.

Why shouldn't one use an av receiver especially when I am getting it for a good price.

Why shouldn't one use an av receiver especially when I am getting it for a good price.
Nobody's stopping anyone from using AVR for Music, somehow it doesn't sound that good, any Stereo Amplifier with Equal Power will be Way Better than AVR for 2Ch Listening.
Buy integrated amp with at least 100wpc that's why I didn't recommend the Naim or Cambridge Audio, you've listed.

These are my individual opinions based on experience , you're free to take your own decision.

Nobody's stopping anyone from using AVR for Music, somehow it doesn't sound that good, any Stereo Amplifier with Equal Power will be Way Better than AVR for 2Ch Listening.
Buy integrated amp with at least 100wpc that's why I didn't recommend the Naim or Cambridge Audio, you've listed.
The Cambridge is 150W per channel.

secondly, by that logic, tube integrated amps are a complete no no?

@Venkyrenga

Kindly take a listen to the video below. The Elacs would be pretty happy driven by amps costing less than half its price and with a wattage below 50 watts per channel. Can one drive them with amps costing 3 times the cost of the speakers ? Yes, why not. But the gains will not justify the additional cost.

The Cambridge is 150W per channel.

secondly, by that logic, tube integrated amps are a complete no no?
Sorry probably my mistake, wrong model number , when I checked it showed 50wpc. Moreover I've heard that Marantz so its easy recommending.

Tube Amps are a different ball game altogether, people won't consider tube amps for Elac. The Good Quality High Sensitivity Speakers matter more for tube amps, than anything else. Tube amp watts work like Class A, most of them have their own distinct character, even when made from same Manfacturer. Only the Chinese Tube amps sound similar. I'd probably not buy a tube amp unless I have a compatible speaker.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back