Fix this LP-damaged by spilling

Saket

Hello Friends,

I have an old Ram teri ganga maili LP which has fantastic pressing. The issue is that probably something (liquid) sometime back in time (when I dont know) got spilled over this record. The substance that was spilled must be some sort of spirit/alcohol because it has taken the shine off that area. Now this area sounds terribly scratchy when comes under the needle. I know it is difficult (or impossible) to fix this but would also like to ask you guys out there if there is any way out. Even if I could reduce this, would be great success.
This album has great songs and good pressing too, only the above issue spoils the party.

Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Saket

Hello Friends,

I have an old Ram teri ganga maili LP which has fantastic pressing. The issue is that probably something (liquid) sometime back in time (when I dont know) got spilled over this record. The substance that was spilled must be some sort of spirit/alcohol because it has taken the shine off that area. Now this area sounds terribly scratchy when comes under the needle. I know it is difficult (or impossible) to fix this but would also like to ask you guys out there if there is any way out. Even if I could reduce this, would be great success.
This album has great songs and good pressing too, only the above issue spoils the party.

Please help.
Thanks in advance,
Saket

I used car cleaning shampoo with velvet cloth and gentle scrubbing.
After that spread 1 drop of vinyl polish and wait for 10 minutes to dry.
Again wash with car cleaning shampoo. Clean rinse and wipe for dry. Look for playing after 10 minutes.

Car cleaning shampoo does not damage anything. If this can not cure then look for new copy. There are plenty of them around.

Precisely the same way I spoiled QURBANI. I used surgical spirit instead of ethyl alcohol to clean the LP.
I tried cleaning with COLIN spray also tried the FEVICOL treatment.

Sorry but nothing works....Got a new LP.

Yeah for what you describe, i don't think it's fixable. Glueing and cleaning only work if there's dirt stuck in the grooves. I think in this a whole portion of the LP seems to be damaged. You'd be better off finding another copy.

Will try both fevicol & car shampoo methods but I am not too hopeful for any good news. Will let you guys know the end result.

Thanks,
Saket

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back