soundfoundations (audiocrast) vibrasorber for tt isolation

Sean de Silva

@jls001 @Hari Iyer @prem @G401fan please help me..

I recently picked up the vibrasorber on hifimart to control accidental finger taps and acoustic feedback. https://hifimart.com/product/sf-vibrasorber-set-of-4/

I've placed one under each foot and on tapping the glass shelf accidentally, the intensity of the output on the speakers has greatly reduced as compared to earlier. Tapping in the immediate vicinity of the vibrasorber feet produces a muffled output and tapping equidistant between the feet does nothing thankfully and has no effect on speakers. I have also unscrewed the TT dust cover so that I can keep it aside while playing and not tap it accidentally.. also using the subsonic filter on the phono preamp.
The acoustic feedback boom too seems to have disappeared hence allowing me to crank up the vol. So I've kinda killed two birds with one stone.

BUT now I have problems that never ever existed i.e. horrible IGD where the vocals sound terribly scratchy and bad especially when the cart approaches the inner grooves. Additionally, the cart tends to skip and jump around in a prolonged loop on quite a few tracks on perfectly clean unused/unscratched LPs. Initially I assumed it was a one-off problem but on playing a couple more LPs the same issues persist so imo it definitely seems like some alignment issue with the cart/tonearm :eek:
The twat who fabricated the wrought iron wall mount stand long ago didn't level it and hence I have had to compensate by adding layers of cardboard underneath the rear feet and level the TT using a spirit level. This has always worked beautifully with no complaints whatsoever hence I'm a bit upset as these issues have suddenly cropped up. A minor issue of speed fluctuation when the TT isn't used for a long time but which subsides on regular use. As it didn't settle down this time, I fiddled around with the 33 pitch control/stroboscope and got that sorted out.
I have never ever experienced the dreaded infamous IGD until now! I'm at my wit's end without throwing a fit. I can't play any Xmas LP. I can't play any LP for that matter. Only CDs for now until this gets sorted.

1) Should I use a light wood sheet iso the glass to prevent any resonant vibrations?
2) Could the cart / tonearm suddenly have gotten misaligned? anti-skate has always been set to 2 and tracking force has always been 2g. The
sumiko pearl tracks beautifully at 2g.

Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

20201212_125711_20201212171635071.jpg

20201212_123242.jpg

20201212_124005.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t understand. Why would you use a glass shelf to begin with. And introduce a problem. Then add a footer to solve that problem. Just use a solid wood shelf and there is no need for any footers. Keep it simple. Don’t complicate things. Footers like yours which use springs are always weight dependent. Check what is optimal weight. Too little weight and it becomes useless. Too much weight and the springs compress too much, rendering them ineffective and introducing new problems. It’s the same issue with sorbothane too. Those which are weight specific need to be used correctly.

You are using a wall mounted shelf and that’s very good for a turntable.

Last edited:
The CG has shifted with the new additions and consequent increase in height from the base.

I would get a nice 3/4 inch wood ( not ply ) base and remove the accessories.

The Stock feet should be good enough

I recently picked up the vibrasorber on hifimart to control accidental finger taps and acoustic feedback. https://hifimart.com/product/sf-vibrasorber-set-of-4/

I've placed one under each foot and on tapping the glass shelf accidentally, the intensity of the output on the speakers has greatly reduced as compared to earlier. Tapping in the immediate vicinity of the vibrasorber feet produces a muffled output and tapping equidistant between the feet does nothing thankfully and has no effect on speakers. I have also unscrewed the TT dust cover so that I can keep it aside while playing and not tap it accidentally.. also using the subsonic filter on the phono preamp.
The acoustic feedback boom too seems to have disappeared hence allowing me to crank up the vol. So I've kinda killed two birds with one stone.

BUT now I have problems that never ever existed i.e. horrible IGD where the vocals sound terribly scratchy and bad especially when the cart approaches the inner grooves. Additionally, the cart tends to skip and jump around in a prolonged loop on quite a few tracks on perfectly clean unused/unscratched LPs. Initially I assumed it was a one-off problem but on playing a couple more LPs the same issues persist so imo it definitely seems like some alignment issue with the cart/tonearm :eek:
The twat who fabricated the wrought iron wall mount stand long ago didn't level it and hence I have had to compensate by adding layers of cardboard underneath the rear feet and level the TT using a spirit level. This has always worked beautifully with no complaints whatsoever hence I'm a bit upset as these issues have suddenly cropped up. A minor issue of speed fluctuation when the TT isn't used for a long time but which subsides on regular use. As it didn't settle down this time, I fiddled around with the 33 pitch control/stroboscope and got that sorted out.
I have never ever experienced the dreaded infamous IGD until now! I'm at my wit's end without throwing a fit. I can't play any Xmas LP. I can't play any LP for that matter. Only CDs for now until this gets sorted.

1) Should I use a light wood sheet iso the glass to prevent any resonant vibrations?
2) Could the cart / tonearm suddenly have gotten misaligned? anti-skate has always been set to 2 and tracking force has always been 2g. The

View attachment 52820

View attachment 52821

View attachment 52822
Same vibroabsorber from soundfoundations I'm using it for my subwoofers.it has reduced rattling noise and boomyness of subwoofer to morethan 80-90%

One more experiment while you are at it..

Use 3 of those chi-vices not 4

But not under the TT footers but under the plinth

Use them in a triangle

See what happens..

Inner groove distortion is caused by improperly aligned tonearm. You might have accidentally caused the cartridge to misalign. Check the alignment with a two-point protractor. My guess is the head shell screws are not sufficiently tightened (but don't over tighten them as over torquing them can change the sound in subtle ways).

Get rid of the footers. Springs and DD turntables just do not go together. Clearly there's a weight distribution issue across the four corners which might be causing tracing distortion in addition to the IGD. After removing them, check again. If IGD persists, check your tonearm/cartridge settings then.
The glass replacement can be done later. But, leveling the TT remains top priority.

Follow advise given by others. I had similar IGD in my setup and that was narrowed to VTA, stylus azimuth adjustment and anti skating issues. Do not rely too much on the anti skating markings on the TT. Trust your ears and adjust anti skating to reduce IGD no matter what the settings are. There also could be a possibility that IGD is more on one channel than the other. If that's the case then consider 100% sure that it's anti skating adjustments.

When you face the cartridge your left is the right channel and your right is the left channel if your IGD is more on the left channel then there is too much anti skating force and you need to reduce that. If IGD is more on the right channel then there is less anti skating force and you may need to increase anti skating a bit.

Enjoy and have fun.

There is a "audiophile" buzz about the Aptilig but the other one would be OK too i guess...

good luck !

LAeMPLIG - for a moment i thought you were pulling a fast one :)

BTW - did you try 3 of those chi-vices instead of 4 ? any better outcome?

There is a "audiophile" buzz about the Aptilig but the other one would be OK too i guess...

Fyi it's Aptitlig. Quite a tongue twister lol
LAeMPLIG - for a moment i thought you were pulling a fast one :)
Hehe that is the largest chopping board they have..the LAeMPLIG !
BTW - did you try 3 of those chi-vices instead of 4 ? any better outcome?
No as i won't be using them for the TT.

basically they are useless IMO

so return them if you can to the place they came from
but the place they came from isnt to be spoken about
lest the powers that be..... who swung under the tree
get upset with thee......
Lmao you are a hidden poet I see! Funny way with words :D
Fyi the vibrasorber footers are now doing hifi duties underneath the CD player and doing a good job! The treble has opened up a bit post installation.

View attachment 52820

View attachment 52821

View attachment 52822
Hi I had the same problem. My cart was making all sorts of noise especially at the end of a song and gradually the problem aggravated . It used to make a scratchy sound. I then spoke to some people and did my own research and reset my table. Firstly I bought a jeweller weigh gadget from amazon and then I rest my tone arm and stylus with the correct recommended pressure. My cart was sumiko oyster which came along with my Teac table and the recommended pressure is 2.3 g. Initially I thought the counter weight should be set at 2.3 g and I did that. This actually translated into stylus pressure to be 3.6 g which was too much and that is why the problem. I finally set the counter weight at 1g and the force gauge showed the stylus pressure as 2.25 g to 2.3 g. The issue was solved and my table started singing again. Please try to do the same and see if your problem is sorted out.

Every time I even change the positions of my turntable, I recalibrate and check the turntable levelling. On some occasions in the past, especially when using non-Shure carts tracking at 1.5g VTF, I have had similar issues. I figured out that by using 5g VTF for M3D, 3g VTF for M44-7/M44-G, and 2g VTF for my other Shures, and suitable anti-skate calibration using an old laser disk, the issue disappeared. I have exited using non-Shure carts except for the Technics EPC270 cart which I recently acquired. One lesson I have learnt over my many years of playing records is, I usually stick close to the higher end of VTF range, specified by the manufacturer (daring to defy the record wear myth). It has worked well for me. Lighter tracking tends to increase the precision requirements from the stylus, tonearm and even the record itself. This is even when using highly reputed tonearms like SME 3009 and Sedco S220.

Hi I had the same problem. My cart was making all sorts of noise especially at the end of a song and gradually the problem aggravated . It used to make a scratchy sound. I then spoke to some people and did my own research and reset my table. Firstly I bought a jeweller weigh gadget from amazon and then I rest my tone arm and stylus with the correct recommended pressure. My cart was sumiko oyster which came along with my Teac table and the recommended pressure is 2.3 g. Initially I thought the counter weight should be set at 2.3 g and I did that. This actually translated into stylus pressure to be 3.6 g which was too much and that is why the problem. I finally set the counter weight at 1g and the force gauge showed the stylus pressure as 2.25 g to 2.3 g. The issue was solved and my table started singing again. Please try to do the same and see if your problem is sorted out.
Hi
Most of the electronic jewellery weighing scale on amazon are not flat .They might not give you a correct reading. You need to either remove the platter when taking approx reading or better buy a flat one like this https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY

Regards
Sachin

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back