Floor standers or stand mount?

Talky

Hello

I'm no HiFi expert, just looking for aspeaker upgrade at the moment. I currently have a pair of Tangent Evo4 front speaker running from a Yamaha DSP-AX620.

My choce for new speakers is basically between a pair of KEF Q100 bookshelf speakers mounted on Soundstyle Z2ii stands.

Total cost for his option would be 310 as both the speakers and stands are available new on discount.

I have also found a pair of Tannoy Revolution DC4T floor standers for 200 new, reduced from a claimed RRP of 649.

I'm just wondering which is the better option for pure sound quality. My living room is roughly 12" x 14" (old cottage).

Appreciate your thoughts?

How does room size dictate whether one should go for bookshelves or towers?

Amp capability is probably the only thing to consider, other than room size, when choosing a speaker. Smaller room will have very low room mode, and easily get overwhelmed with powerful low frequencies, hence, we should choose a smaller speaker.

Amp capability is probably the only thing to consider, other than room size, when choosing a speaker. Smaller room will have very low room mode, and easily get overwhelmed with powerful low frequencies, hence, we should choose a smaller speaker.

On the other hand, don't you think that smaller room will have higher frequencies as standing waves (shorter wavelength)? That means more boom at higher bass than lower bass?

No.

"Boom" is related to low frequencies. Tweeters don't boom.

Moreover, high frequencies are low on energy and tend to decay faster than lows. Taming and dealing with highs are much easier than lows.

Is something I keep saying, check out axiom audio M22 for stand mounted speakers.
Amazing off axis response and really brutal transparency.
Did I mention they are Easy to drive ?

PS: am not affiliated to axiom :)

No.

"Boom" is related to low frequencies. Tweeters don't boom.

Moreover, high frequencies are low on energy and tend to decay faster than lows. Taming and dealing with highs are much easier than lows.

Come on, I am not that daft.
:D

Typical towers can produce till say 40 Hz.
Typical bookshelf can produce till say 60 Hz.

Who's wavelength is longer? 40 Hz or 60 Hz?
Which room has a chance of having longer wavelength as a standing mode? Large room or small room?

For a room of the size 12 x 14, a large standmount or smaller floorstanders should work if your setup is casual. Meaning, typical room with some thick furniture and carpet and some curtains and carpet, bookshelf crammed with books etc.. The tannoy floorstander should work well. It is rated down to about 54 khz whihc is not too low. But bear in mind that if you are someone who gives a lot of importance to the quality of the midrange and overall quality of sound, you can do better if you buy a pair of standmount speakers at the same price. You get better quality drivers and crossover and cabinet quality for the same price point at the cost of some amount bass pressure which might be important to rock and pop.. so it depends a lot upon the listener..

With adequate room treatment and careful electronic match, you can also make medium size floorstanders also work well. But this is where cost and focused effort is a factor.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back