Floor standing for surround

ramesht05

Hi experts and fellow forum members,
I'm setting up my home theater and need some expert opinion and past experience of our forum members.
How good or bad would be to have a full range floor standing speakers for surround?
My room is quite big 15' X 30'. I'm running a dolby atmos setup. Will this be a good addition?
If so, then should I put them in surround or surround rear?
Please shed some light.

How good or bad would be to have a full range floor standing speakers for surround?

It should just be fine.. The good/bad would be that the FS tweeter would be at ear height, depending on how you prefer your surrounds to be.. Since your room width is 15 feet, should be fine.. Surr left & surr right would be approx 7 feet away from listeners ears..

You can add FS for surr back too.. again the same suggestions as above.. Just your preference..

I would prefer them to be at ear level..

Even-though, you use FS for surrounds & surround back, you will use a 80/100 Hz crossover in the AVR.. So ideally the FS will act as a 2-way / 3-way satellite..

Hope you are aiming for a 7.1.4 set-up?..

What is your rest of the setup? can you post a few pics if possible please?

It should just be fine.. The good/bad would be that the FS tweeter would be at ear height, depending on how you prefer your surrounds to be.. Since your room width is 15 feet, should be fine.. Surr left & surr right would be approx 7 feet away from listeners ears..

You can add FS for surr back too.. again the same suggestions as above.. Just your preference..

I would prefer them to be at ear level..

Even-though, you use FS for surrounds & surround back, you will use a 80/100 Hz crossover in the AVR.. So ideally the FS will act as a 2-way / 3-way satellite..

Hope you are aiming for a 7.1.4 set-up?..

Yes, Currently I have 7.1.4 setup. Will add one more woofer soon and of course speaker upgrade in progress.

Ideally you should have line of sight from the drivers to your ear for direct sound to reach without obstructions.
Hence bookshelf speakers around 1 to 2 feet above ear levels inclined towards listener were recommended to avoid obstruction of sofa/recliner.

After ceiling speakers introduced, many are feeling that there should be good gap between surround speakers on walls and ceiling speakers.

If you are planning to use floor standers, I suggest using them as surround speakers than surround backs.
You can install on the sides at 90 degrees which is acceptable as per dolby speaker positioning layout.
From the side the obstruction of Sofa/recliner won't be there.

As mentioned by elangoas, you won't get much benefit of full range floor stander when bass management with 80Hz crossover is used.
Bookshelf surrounds will do in that case.

Hi experts and fellow forum members,
I'm setting up my home theater and need some expert opinion and past experience of our forum members.
My room is quite big 15' X 30'. I'm running a dolby atmos setup. Will this be a good addition?
Please shed some light.

I think it would be a overkill .. You may hear the sound too loud from your Surround speaker if using FloorStanding .
You can get very good nice looking surround speaker & more pieces for the same FS price.

Instead of FS speaker you can plan to put array of surround speakers ( 2 speakers at the back wall , 4 speakers in side walls.. if required you can add 2 more speakers in the ceiling as well ..probably by adding another amp you can extend speakers ) Something like in cinema theater. Note : In big cinema hall itself they are using mini surround speaker.. Hope your room size is not bigger than cinema hall...;);)

I have been to IMAX theater also in USA ..They use very big speakers for front/center , still they are also using the same mini surround speaker ..but large array of speakers to cover the cinema hall.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back