Floor Standing Speaker + AVR Under 1.5 lacs

You should always get a amp that can deliver a little more than the max wattage suggested by the manufacturer. Please read my other post where I have explained the reasons in terms of SPL, distance, and wattage required.

Speaker manufacturers use specialized rooms for testing. These room have 0db noise. Really zero db. No one sits inside the room, and sound levels are measured at various distances under controlled circumstances. There is nothing disturbing the sound as it travels from the speaker to the highly sensitive
mike.

In the real world your room is never quiet. There is at least 20db of peripheral noise at all times. Thus those specs have no value in the real world. You have to add at least 50% more power in the real world.

B&W are different. They use Kevlar for the drivers. Kevlar is hard to move. If you pump 25-30 watts to the 600s, it wont even wake up.

Cheers

Thanks ! Have come across few links explaining the terms

Loudspeaker Sensitivity and Amplifier Power Requirement

Crown Audio - Professional Power Amplifiers

Sound Pressure - recommended Maximum Level in Rooms

Just a suggestion - if you're tight on budget and can't compromise on the power, you could look at getting the avr from amazon.de, really good deals on denon and marantz, significant price difference from Indian dealers' pricing....the flip side being you'll have to forego the india warranty if purchased from amazon.de

Thank you all for helping me.

Today I saw some of the Used or New imported AVR like AVR-X3100W (35k in Quickr), Onkyo TX-NR3010 (40K in Quickr), etc...

I am planning to go with used AVR+Pre-Amp or AVR only.
I think I can makeout this within my budget.
But the thing should be availability/quality of used product difficult to predict.
Also may be I can't demo the same AVR/Amp with BW's.

As of now what I understood is:

* AVR should be capable of deliver above 150W per channel @ 8 ohms or 6 ohms. Upto 200W per channel @ 8 ohms or 6 ohms also ok.

As of now what I understood is:

* AVR should be capable of deliver above 150W per channel @ 8 ohms or 6 ohms. Upto 200W per channel @ 8 ohms or 6 ohms also ok.

A small correction.

(1) AVR should deliver over 150 watts per channel into 8 Ohms, 2 channel driven.

(2) AVR should deliver 200 watts per channel into 6 ohms, 2 channel driven.

Driving 200 watts into 8 ohms - very few amps have that capability. Way beyond your budget.

Cheers

@pradeepalokraj

Do you already have the BW600s in your possession?
If not, have the guy at the demo room, hook them up to a low power AVR directly and listen. Then introduce a high power amp and listen.
This will give you an idea of how they may sound when the amp runs out of headroom.
If you have the speakers already, carry them to AVR/amp vendors and do the same expts. This may not be possible if going pre-owned route due to logistics.

If you want to check how they may sound in a home, I can help. This is assuming the speakers are in your possession.
I have a 50W AVR and 70W IA (both Marantz with L/R preout) and 200W monoblocks.
Also have access to an older 75W Onkyo AVR (no L/R preout though)

Cheers,
Raghu

200 watts per channel? It will be jarring to the ears. I can barely survive with 60-80 watts.

:lol:Ha Ha. Wattage and power depends on size of the room and the speakers. If you use B&W 800 series speakers, 200 watts will just about wake them up. If your HT is some 1500-2000 sq.feet, you may actually find 200 watts inadequate!

Cinema Halls, BTW, use power to the tune of 1000s of watts.

Cheers

200 watts per channel? It will be jarring to the ears. I can barely survive with 60-80 watts.

X Wpc means that the amp is comfortable in supplying that much power.
A 200W amp has a 6dB advantage over 50W amp and a 4dB advantage over a 70W amp.
When the music or movie content gets complex, speakers are notorious at presenting low impedance momentarily.

:lol:Ha Ha. Wattage and power depends on size of the room and the speakers. If you use B&W 800 series speakers, 200 watts will just about wake them up. If your HT is some 1500-2000 sq.feet, you may actually find 200 watts inadequate!

Cheers

So as Venkat says, having that headroom at power amp is good, specially if they are driving 86-89dB SPL speakers with stiffer cone material. But muscle amps can make the wallet light.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers

I know that. Maybe for his room, it is overkill?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Anybody can suggest me where I can Demo these speakers in DELHI and NCR.

Also I am considering MA Bronze 2 in my demo. Your opinion on this please. Also where I can do the Demo!

Guys price recd for B&W speakers from one of the seller:

1. B&W 685 S2 bookshelf speakers - 1pair - Rs. 69,000 ......Final price 58,500/-
2. B&W 686 S2 bookshelf speakers - 1pair - Rs. 55,000
3. B&W HTM 62 S2 center speaker - 1piece - Rs. 49,000
4. B&W PV1 D subwoofer - 1piece - Rs. 1,70,000
5. B&W ASW 608 subwoofer - 1piece - Rs. 51,000
6. B&W 685 S2 bookshelf speaker stands STAV - 1pair - Rs.15,000

Anybody can suggest how it looks....realistic or not ?

why would you pay 1.7 lakhs for a subwoofer when your entire speaker combination is close to that price? This sounds an odd price.

Guys,
I am dropping B & W due to its crossing my budget.

Now I am considering below top 3 System:

1. Monitor Audio Bronze 2; BS&Sorround Bronze 2, Bronze centre, W10, .....I don't know the price for complete 5.1 system. Reviews are good. HI-FI 2015 Award winner.
http://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/bronze-2/review

2. Wharfedale Diamond 220; BS 220, Sorround 10.DFS, Centre 220C, Sub D10 or SW150 10" and Sub D10 or SW150 10", and AVR Denon X500 AV / X520 BT, Receiver 5.1 ........Rs. 1,02,800/- to 1,10,000/- including AVR in Hifimart. Review is good. Front ported.
Hifivision recommends it. Hi-Fi Award 2014 winner.
http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

3. Elac Debut Series BS B6, Sorround B5, Centre C5, Sub S10Eq ........Rs. 1,00,000/-. Rear Ported. Placement sensitive. I don't know how much space is required! Hi-fi says not better than WD 220. CNET says Better than B&W 685S2.
ELAC Debut B6 review - Page 2 - CNET

Your views on this please!!!

Last edited:
Don't leave out the flavour of the season, Dali Zensor. The Zensor 1 is very wall mountable despite being rear ported. I have a pair wall mounted for my bedroom stereo.
Check prices here. They also have Elac.

Guys,
I am dropping B & W due to its crossing my budget.

Now I am considering below top 3 System:

1. Monitor Audio Bronze 2; BS&Sorround Bronze 2, Bronze centre, W10, .....I don't know the price for complete 5.1 system. Reviews are good. HI-FI 2015 Award winner.
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 review | What Hi-Fi?

2. Wharfedale Diamond 220; BS 220, Sorround 10.DFS, Centre 220C, Sub D10 or SW150 10" and Sub D10 or SW150 10", and AVR Denon X500 AV / X520 BT, Receiver 5.1 ........Rs. 1,02,800/- to 1,10,000/- including AVR in Hifimart. Review is good. Front ported.
Hifivision recommends it. Hi-Fi Award 2014 winner.
Wharfedale Diamond 220 review | What Hi-Fi?

3. Elac Debut Series BS B6, Sorround B5, Centre C5, Sub S10Eq ........Rs. 1,00,000/-. Rear Ported. Placement sensitive. I don't know how much space is required! Hi-fi says not better than WD 220. CNET says Better than B&W 685S2.
ELAC Debut B6 review - Page 2 - CNET

Your views on this please!!!

If you happen to audition the MA Bronze set, check to see if they have MA Radius cubes. They have got positive reviews; radius 45 cubes are an interesting speaker with tweeter facing backwards.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back