Floor standing speakers + stereo amp for techno house music

Many people would also say the same thing about EDM i suppose. :p

To my ears, the Evo series is clearly a superior speaker to the Klipch RP line in most aspects of SQ individually. However, there's a certain foot tapping quality to the latter (again, to my ears) which the Evo simply doesn't evoke.
I agree most people would say that about EDM.
But even in that, I rather prefer a warm sound than a bright one.
Something with tight and punchy bass and sweet highs which are less sibilant and never too harsh on ears.

The horn material has been improved to silicone. I have read that in older Klipsches with metal horns people used rope caulk or Dynamat to dampen them.

I purchased my Heresy online without listening to them. It was a daring plunge (Dirhams 10k) as Klipsch dealer had folded up in Abu Dhabi (and Dubai when I purchased them). It was a risk worth it. Had auditioned KEF Q & R series and some others but definitely no regrets for the blind (rather deaf ;);)) buy.

Made a couple of videos then for people like me who have no chance to taste Heresy. Made with a mobile (Lumia 950), use a headphone to listen

Have never been a big fan of judging audio via youtube videos, so this is a first of sorts...

I swear I can discern the full-bloodedness of these drivers :D

What mic did you use to record this?!

Hi Everyone!
I current have the following setup
  • A pair of bookshelf speakers (Rave Acoustics)
  • Marantz NR1509 A/V Receiver
  • Yamaha YST-SW90 Sub-Woofer
I listen mostly to house and techno music and sometimes RnB, hip hop etc.
I would like to upgrade to floor-standers and a stereo amp.
I would also like to upgrade/add a new subwoofer but would probably do that at a later stage.

What would be the most suitable speakers and amp for this kind of music specifically?
Sound quality is of prime importance to me.
My budget is approx. 2-3 Lakhs.

I am new to this forum and any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Polk audio FS like A7 or A9, very well suited for your type of music.

Have never been a big fan of judging audio via youtube videos, so this is a first of sorts...

I swear I can discern the full-bloodedness of these drivers :D

What mic did you use to record this?!
Just the plain old Microsoft Lumia 940XL :cool:

It had 4 mics and recorded in 5.1. Earlier Lumia 830 (that I still have) has 3 mics.

The features were perhaps much advanced compared to Android and Apple. My first Nokia Lumia 820 had "Live Photos" as early as 2012 and full control camera. My previous boss was flaunting his iPhone Live Photos in 2017 when I taunted him with my Lumia ;)

Wonder why MS killed the phones.

Last edited:
Just the plain old Microsoft Lumia 940XL :cool:

It had 4 mics and recorded in 5.1. Earlier Lumia 830 (that I still have) has 3 mics.

The features were perhaps much advanced compared to Android and Apple. My first Nokia Lumia 820 had "Live Photos" as early as 2012 and full control camera. My previous boss was flaunting his iPhone Live Photos in 2017 when I taunted him with my Lumia ;)

Wonder why MS killed the phones.
Going OT but the simple answer is, they did not find enough takers. They stuck around with antiquated software (symbian) for too long and by the time they'd been sold off to Microsoft, they were but a shell of the company they'd been.

Having said that, i actually thought windows for mobile was fantastic. I know this person who was using his Lumia 520 until recently and the phone interface was still buttery smooth (an exaggeration but far smoother than any 7 year old phone had the right to be).

Again, windows for mobile was introduced a little too late i.e. iOS and Android were already the two established OS'es by that period. Coupled with the fact that it was a bit unintuitive(or had a learning curve, whichever way one looks at it) and did not have nearly the multitude of apps available on the other two platforms, you have a still born product.

And while some hardware features were miles ahead of both Android and iOS, Steve jobs had proved back in 2007 itself that UI/usability comes first.

i remember the first time i used an iPhone/iPad for the first time and instinctively (ergo, intuitiveness) knew what to do, it was that easy.

Going OT but the simple answer is, they did not find enough takers. They stuck around with antiquated software (symbian) for too long and by the time they'd been sold off to Microsoft, they were but a shell of the company they'd been.

Having said that, i actually thought windows for mobile was fantastic. I know this person who was using his Lumia 520 until recently and the phone interface was still buttery smooth (an exaggeration but far smoother than any 7 year old phone had the right to be).

Again, windows for mobile was introduced a little too late i.e. iOS and Android were already the two established OS'es by that period. Coupled with the fact that it was a bit unintuitive(or had a learning curve, whichever way one looks at it) and did not have nearly the multitude of apps available on the other two platforms, you have a still born product.

And while some hardware features were miles ahead of both Android and iOS, Steve jobs had proved back in 2007 itself that UI/usability comes first.

i remember the first time i used an iPhone/iPad for the first time and instinctively (ergo, intuitiveness) knew what to do, it was that easy.
Off Topic.

May be I am wrong. Windows Mobile was in the market in 2003 and i have seen my friend with an i-mate then. Got mine in 2005. Then I had two Sony Ericssons. XperiaX1 slider full kb. Later another SE Aspen. Both on Winmobile.

2007 time HTC, Samsung and quite a few had released Windows Phone 7 based phones. Nokia Lumia came in 2011 with L800 after they failed with Symbian. That time they had live tiles etc.,complete integration with PC with ActiveSync, Lync, Outlook etc. My first Lumia was 820 in 2012, then in 2015 a 830 & a 920 (both had wireless charging then). MS took over and got a 950XL but they later killed Lumias. They went too overboard with business orientated phones and closed app development.

If they bring back Windows Phones I will switch from Android but not uber expensive IPhones. Yes, my daughter uses IPhones and iPads extensively and I get her the latest respecting here preference.

Invest in the best sub-woofer you can. 80%work is done right there... Mate it with genelec which are active, a you then need is a source to play

Else like mentioned here instead of floor standers go for three ways like JBL 4312se. But this will be over budget..

Invest in the best sub-woofer you can. 80%work is done right there... Mate it with genelec which are active, a you then need is a source to play

Else like mentioned here instead of floor standers go for three ways like JBL 4312se. But this will be over budget..
Which sub-woofer would you recommend?

Will REL T7x/9x be a good option?

And are you recommending JBL’s without the sub? Or will they need a sub too?

My personal view - for the sort of music you listen to, a pair of bookshelves with a good sub, will work really well.

For example - Q Acoustics 3020i + Q Acoustic QB12.
I already have a pair of bookshelves! Wanted to upgrade to floorstanders as I want a bigger, more spacious, room filling sound!

Which sub-woofer would you recommend?

Will REL T7x/9x be a good option?

And are you recommending JBL’s without the sub? Or will they need a sub too?
JBL won't need sub but it's anyday better than a floorstander.

For hip hop and electronic, key is sub woofer.. That's what will give that club feel. While REL is great, go for 12 inch ones from rhythmik, contact avenue sound or hifimart here for options...

JBL won't need sub but it's anyday better than a floorstander.

For hip hop and electronic, key is sub woofer.. That's what will give that club feel. While REL is great, go for 12 inch ones from rhythmik, contact avenue sound or hifimart here for options...

Cool! I will try to audition them for sure.
What stereo amplifier would you recommend with them?
Also, their frequency response is 44Hz - 40kHz. Won't i then need a sub to cover frequencies below 44Hz?

Cool! I will try to audition them for sure.
What stereo amplifier would you recommend with them?
Also, their frequency response is 44Hz - 40kHz. Won't i then need a sub to cover frequencies below 44Hz?
Did not get a REL in UAE as they have no agent here. Went in for KEF Kube 12b. Sealed sub.

Read in PS Audio website that sealed subs are better for music as they are more controlled. That way REL should be a great addition. Another tip from Paul of PS Audio is to use the speaker level (high level) signal to feed the sub to avoid any sort of lag between main and sub. Many low end subs do not have high level input.

Hi Guys,

While my hunt for the perfect speakers keeps going, I was thinking of upgrading to a stereo amplifier from the Marantz NR1509 A.V. receiver.
Had a few doubts regarding the same.

Should I wait, till I find the right speakers and then pair the amp accordingly.
Or should I just upgrade the amp already if it improves my current system significantly?

If i do decide to upgrade, I was thinking between 3 options, Marantz PM 7000N, Marantz PM 8006 (both available at 85k) or Cambridge Audio CX A81(available around 1 lakh 10k)

Follow-up question, what is the difference between Marantz PM 7000N and Marantz PM 8006 in terms of sound? I'm keen towards 7000N as it has streaming capabilities. However if 8006 has better sound quality by quite some margin, should I go for that and use my A.V receiver as a streamer? How does CX A81 compare to above two? Are their other options in similar budget which might be better?

Hi Everyone!
I current have the following setup
  • A pair of bookshelf speakers (Rave Acoustics)
  • Marantz NR1509 A/V Receiver
  • Yamaha YST-SW90 Sub-Woofer
I listen mostly to house and techno music and sometimes RnB, hip hop etc.
I would like to upgrade to floor-standers and a stereo amp.
I would also like to upgrade/add a new subwoofer but would probably do that at a later stage.

What would be the most suitable speakers and amp for this kind of music specifically?
Sound quality is of prime importance to me.
My budget is approx. 2-3 Lakhs.

I am new to this forum and any suggestions would be really appreciated.
The cheaper option will be to add a REL sub. Honestly that is all you actually need :)

But if you still want to spend those 3L, then naim + pmc will give you that extremely fast paced and rythmic sound that is very very important for Techno. Timing and speed are of the essence here. If you can't find naim, then exposure has a similar fast and rythmik sound like naim. If even exposure is not available, then rega will also work. However a combination of pmc + rega will become a lean sounding system.

Alternatively, I would suggest a combination of ATC SCM 11 + Rel sub + nuprime STA-9 mono blocks. You can feed this from the preamp outputs of our AVR if it has one. Even this system will rock the house at EDM and Techno. All the best :)

Hi Guys,

While my hunt for the perfect speakers keeps going, I was thinking of upgrading to a stereo amplifier from the Marantz NR1509 A.V. receiver.
Had a few doubts regarding the same.

Should I wait, till I find the right speakers and then pair the amp accordingly.
Or should I just upgrade the amp already if it improves my current system significantly?

If i do decide to upgrade, I was thinking between 3 options, Marantz PM 7000N, Marantz PM 8006 (both available at 85k) or Cambridge Audio CX A81(available around 1 lakh 10k)

Follow-up question, what is the difference between Marantz PM 7000N and Marantz PM 8006 in terms of sound? I'm keen towards 7000N as it has streaming capabilities. However if 8006 has better sound quality by quite some margin, should I go for that and use my A.V receiver as a streamer? How does CX A81 compare to above two? Are their other options in similar budget which might be better?
I would not consider a marantz if one is a fan of Techno or rock or EDM. Having never heard a CA amp, sorry I can't say one way or the other there.

Aniket, who is based in delhi as well can build a super powerful amp at reasonable cost. Since ur based in delhi it'd worth a visit to check out his offerings. He makes some mean speakers as well, check out this 15incher he designed for a customer un gujarat. Now that will shake any house :)

Attachments

• IMG-20220330-WA0028.jpg
    IMG-20220330-WA0028.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 42
The cheaper option will be to add a REL sub. Honestly that is all you actually need :)

But if you still want to spend those 3L, then naim + pmc will give you that extremely fast paced and rythmic sound that is very very important for Techno. Timing and speed are of the essence here. If you can't find naim, then exposure has a similar fast and rythmik sound like naim. If even exposure is not available, then rega will also work. However a combination of pmc + rega will become a lean sounding system.

Alternatively, I would suggest a combination of ATC SCM 11 + Rel sub + nuprime STA-9 mono blocks. You can feed this from the preamp outputs of our AVR if it has one. Even this system will rock the house at EDM and Techno. All the best :)
could you tell the model numbers too for naim, pmc, exposure, rega and rel sub??

Aniket, who is based in delhi as well can build a super powerful amp at reasonable cost. Since ur based in delhi it'd worth a visit to check out his offerings. He makes some mean speakers as well, check out this 15incher he designed for a customer un gujarat. Now that will shake any house :)
Could you please DM me his details.

Do try and audition the Klipsch RP8000F. Though you will find many a naysayer, they could be up right your ally considering the brief.
I auditioned the Klipsch RP8000F today!

Boy are they amazing!
The mid bass is so tight and punchy! The upper mids are crystal clear. And the highs are energetic and sparkly without being shrill or harsh.
Not sure why Klipsch is criticised so much in that department.
The only thing i found lacking was the lower deep bass! They do need a subwoofer for sure! At least for the kind of music I listen to, they do!
Overall they were quite impressive.
Thanks for the suggestion

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back