Floorstanders setup for only music

roadfiend

Dear Friends,

I am in dire need of your advice. By way of introduction, I am an amateur music listener, with aspirations of learning how to be an audiophile.

I have a 13x12 feet room set up as a study with bookshelves on 3 sides. I wish to place an armchair in front of one bookshelf and place a pair of floor-standing speakers on either side of the chair. And then sit on the chair, close my eyes, and enjoy music. My taste in music is fairly basic - English rock music primarily. I think the sources will be primarily be stereo, so I don't need surround (btw, my TV room is separate and already has a simple Yamaha yht 3072 HTIB).

So, I need advice on SETUP PURELY FOR ordinary MUSIC LISTENING:
  1. A pair of floor-standing speakers (would the KEF Q750 be overkill?).
  2. Something to drive this (some sort of AVR).
  3. Source (Can I use a MacBook as music source, or should I dedicate a tablet or phone, something else? I may use Spotify, Gaana as well as mp3).
  4. What else should I think about, but am failing to ?
Total budget - minimum possible, upto 2 lacs.

Hmmm ....
This is kind of an odd way to hear music. It is almost like you want the towers to be a pair of big headphones.
Ideally you want to sit 6-8 feet away from the speakers placed in front of you.
The speakers and seating position form a triangle.

Towers or standmounts will work in the above mentioned room size.
You would not need an AVR to drive speakers for music only.
An integrated amp with DAC and some sort of streaming capability will suffice.

Since you are in Bangalore, please audition as many speaker/amp combinations as possible.
Then make an informed decision.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Roadfiend,

If you are purely looking for stereo then the below combination will work well :--

1. A pair of floor-standing speakers (would the KEF Q750 be overkill?). You can go with Dali Zensor 7. You will never go wrong with Dali's for music.
  2. Something to drive this (some sort of AVR). No AVR required if you want to use them for Music. You can go with a stereo amp like Marantz PM7005.
  3. Source (Can I use a MacBook as music source, or should I dedicate a tablet or phone, something else? I may use Spotify, Gaana as well as mp3). Yes you can as PM7005 provides all types of connections which can be used for CD player, network player, PC, laptop, macbook, turntable
  4. What else should I think about, but am failing to ? Start with Dali and PM7005 and you can keep on adding sources....

You can also consider q acoustics 3050i. It has excellent imaging and vocals.
For AVR you can get any integrated stereo amp like marantz pm7005 advised above or the Cambridge audio cxa60/80.
But do audition before purchase.

Cheers
Siju

As other members have already mentioned, you need a stereo amp for music. Initially I made same mistake by purchasing an AVR for listening music, after few days, had to buy a separate stereo amp.

There are so many speakers, you need to wait, study and compare them before you come to a conslusion. If possible, you can try demo from various dealers.

Marantz with Dali or Q Accoustics is a good option to start with. If you are a bass lover, then Dali else Q Accoustics

Last edited:
I
As other members have already mentioned, you need a stereo amp for music. Initially I made same mistake by purchasing an AVR for listening music, after few days, had to buy a separate stereo amp.

There are so many speakers, you need to wait, study and compare them before you come to a conslusion. If possible, you can try demo from various dealers.

Marantz with Dali or Q Accoustics is a good option to start with. If you are a bass lover, then Dali else Q Accoustics
I thought Dali, in general are bright speakers. I have q acoustics 3050i and it has huge bass.

Dear Forum – I’m overwhelmed and deeply grateful for your insightful suggestions!!!

@raghupb – Indeed, you’re very right! I’ll put a chair opposite the floorstanders and sit myself in a triangle. This is a very timely suggestion and I’ve adjusted the room layout. Sincere thanks!
All – @rajivaryan1984, @sijusid, @marsilians, @forever.pramod - also appreciate the inputs about stereo amp vs AVR. Accordingly, the PM7005 specifications looked adequate and I’ll settle on that and look only for the floorstanders. I’ll take your advice and do auditions. The online reviews of Q Acoustics 3050i, Dali Zensor 7 were very encouraging.

Any suggestions on top places in Bangalore where to audition at?

I

I thought Dali, in general are bright speakers. I have q acoustics 3050i and it has huge bass.

I don't find Zensors are bright. May be it depends upon source and other components of chain. and I have listened QA concept 40, felt having less bass than Zensor 7. Can't comment about 3050i

Dear Forum – I’m overwhelmed and deeply grateful for your insightful suggestions!!!

@raghupb – Indeed, you’re very right! I’ll put a chair opposite the floorstanders and sit myself in a triangle. This is a very timely suggestion and I’ve adjusted the room layout. Sincere thanks!
All – @rajivaryan1984, @sijusid, @marsilians, @forever.pramod - also appreciate the inputs about stereo amp vs AVR. Accordingly, the PM7005 specifications looked adequate and I’ll settle on that and look only for the floorstanders. I’ll take your advice and do auditions. The online reviews of Q Acoustics 3050i, Dali Zensor 7 were very encouraging.

PM70xx series is a good one. Till recently was using PM7001 as main amp/preamp.
If considering Marantz, please look at the newer products. PM1200 and PM7000N, the latter looks promising.
KEFs are great speakers if you can tame them in the room. They like a bit of power.
Dalis can get a bit bright. They are easy to drive though.

For a budget of 2L you can surely audition other company offerings too.

BTW, choose the speakers first and then hunt for the amp to match them.
Match the speakers to ears/room; this is very important.
Consider stand mounts too. 13x12 is not very big room and they may just work and save you some money.
The extra money can be used towards other components in the stereo rig.

Think the project through and audition multiple times. Don't go only by reviews or user opinions.
Cheers,
Raghu

I've been down exactly this same road to a stereo setup in Bangalore
Started out with a modest Denon AVR and polk bookshelves, gradually added sub, center and surround as and when I could afford them. Within a year I realized I spend most of my time listening to music and didn't have the right setup!

I spent several weekends auditioning at Audio Planet in Koramangala for dedicated stereo. The best part was Mr. Palani made me do blind listening tests so I didn't have any brand bias and picked the speakers I really liked, matched with the stereo Amp that was a good fit. The blind auditioning was an "ear opener" for me

I recommend making an appointment with Palani - was well worth the time

Dear Friends,

So, I need advice on SETUP PURELY FOR ordinary MUSIC LISTENING:
  1. A pair of floor-standing speakers (would the KEF Q750 be overkill?).
  2. Something to drive this (some sort of AVR).
  3. Source (Can I use a MacBook as music source, or should I dedicate a tablet or phone, something else? I may use Spotify, Gaana as well as mp3).
  4. What else should I think about, but am failing to ?
Total budget - minimum possible, upto 2 lacs.

1. Yes
2. Stereo Amp or better still, separate Pre amp + power Amp combination
3. Macbook is perfectly fine. It has Optical out I suppose. Use that to an external DAC. Get a wireless Keyboard like Logitech k400
4. Audition Audition Audition. Visit all outlets in Bangalore, ProFx, DNI, etc.

MaSh

I've been down exactly this same road to a stereo setup in Bangalore
Started out with a modest Denon AVR and polk bookshelves, gradually added sub, center and surround as and when I could afford them. Within a year I realized I spend most of my time listening to music and didn't have the right setup!

I spent several weekends auditioning at Audio Planet in Koramangala for dedicated stereo. The best part was Mr. Palani made me do blind listening tests so I didn't have any brand bias and picked the speakers I really liked, matched with the stereo Amp that was a good fit. The blind auditioning was an "ear opener" for me

I recommend making an appointment with Palani - was well worth the time

Greetings Friends - Happy New Year!!!

I was able to get Mr Palani's time today and visited Audio Planet. Based on his patient undertaking of blind audition, the following was the recommendation:
Speakers - Pair of Triangle Astra 902.
Amplifier - Cambridge Audio CXA60.
Streamer - Cambridge Audio CXN V2.
Should cost around 3.2 including a BT dongle and cabling.

Happy New Year to you too. A great start to your year for sure. I'm sure you'll have years of listening pleasure with that setup :)

I would also suggest giving Acoustic Portrait a listen. You can score their flagship Thiaga Integrated amp + MTM floorstanders if you are going to scale up your budget to 3.2L.

I was able to get Mr Palani's time today and visited Audio Planet. Based on his patient undertaking of blind audition, the following was the recommendation:
Did you mean Triangle Antal 902? Those are monster truck sized towers! Will take up a lot of space and bring down brick walls with their hefty bass

Whoa!! That's a lot of investment for a starter system in a small room.
Audition a few stand mounts too. Many of them will pleasantly surprise you.
If you need extra bass, there are options like REL, Rhythmik subs that can be integrated well enough.
Cheers,
Raghu

Did you mean Triangle Antal 902? Those are monster truck sized towers! Will take up a lot of space and bring down brick walls with their hefty bass

It's Triangle Astra 902 (which is a India-specific value version of another popular model, possibly Antal).

I
It's Triangle Astra 902 (which is a India-specific value version of another popular model, possibly Antal).
If they're anything like the Antal 902 series, you'll need to budget for extra space in your room, separation from the walls, distance between the pair and so on...especially since they're notably large towers.
All things being said, finally trust your ears and your gut with the auditions :)

For your room size, budget and music preferences, go for quality standmount speakers like ATC SCM 11 or KEF R3. Pair them with a refined stereo amp and a streamer of your choice.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back