Floorstanding Speakers-distance from wall

iyersn

Is it necessary to have a minimum distance of say 30-40 cms from the wall for a floorstanding speaker?
My dealer has mentioned it is not necessary though I have read in some reviews that it is necessary to have such a distance to get better results.

I am getting a KEF IQ7 (3way speaker) to check if it fits my room else will go for a Focal bookshelf speaker 807v. Getting KEF IQ7 at a 20% discount to its MRP - note this is a discontinued product.

I dont think I would have that much space in my room to have the FS speakers one foot from the wall.
My room size is approx. 12w X 18 ft.

This will be paired with Denon 2310.
Kindly respond urgently -getting both today and have to choose on one.:)
thanks to all in advance.
Shanks

Is it necessary to have a minimum distance of say 30-40 cms from the wall for a floorstanding speaker?
My dealer has mentioned it is not necessary though I have read in some reviews that it is necessary to have such a distance to get better results.

I am getting a KEF IQ7 (3way speaker) to check if it fits my room else will go for a Focal bookshelf speaker 807v. Getting KEF IQ7 at a 20% discount to its MRP - note this is a discontinued product.

I dont think I would have that much space in my room to have the FS speakers one foot from the wall.
My room size is approx. 12w X 18 ft.

This will be paired with Denon 2310.
Kindly respond urgently -getting both today and have to choose on one.:)
thanks to all in advance.
Shanks

2 - 3 feet from the rear wall and atleast 1 feet from the side wall will make the speakers sound good. Or as Cranky said go for a Stand Mount and see to that you place them on a good stable stands.

3 feet minimum, not 1 foot. If you don't have that much space, get smaller speakers.

Thanks - definitely I dont have that much space!
Then the option is to go in for the Focal 807V bookshelves!
I asked this question of the space from the wall! The dealer mentioned that no distance required!!!!!!:eek:

Hi!!

Normally, it is seen that rear ported speakers when kept away from the rear wall generate a more enjoyable sound (less boomy). Rear ported speakers are less flexible in placement than front ported ones.

Please read the following:

"The main iQ7s needed some attention to placement as well, which also surprised me. Usually I find rear ported loudspeakers need special attention to placement. Since only the center iQ6c is rear ported, the iQ7s should not have been affected. Placing them about three feet of the rear wall and keeping them away from sidewalls produced the most enjoyable sound. I also found spacing them a bit further apart dramatically improved the spatial imaging. Although my space is a bit tight to begin with, I managed to keep them about seven feet apart; I would have liked another foot."

taken from

Product Review

I suggest take a fresh demo of iq7 with variable distances from rear wall.

Cheers!!

Thanks - definitely I dont have that much space!
Then the option is to go in for the Focal 807V bookshelves!
I asked this question of the space from the wall! The dealer mentioned that no distance required!!!!!!:eek:

The dealer is either stupid or just not interested in helping you out. He just wants to push the bigger speaker.

2.5 to 3 feet minimum behind the speaker and 4 feet at the sides is required to create a uniform soundfield.

If you need to get the best out of any speaker BS or FS, you need certain amount of space around them. It makes a tremendous difference. So, while you invest money, make sure you prepare the space first and get them. These dealers will say anything to sell you. Don't buy those stories.

swami

Folks, how about placing some sound treatment behind the speaker to reduce the impact of reflection.
My speakers are just over 40 cm from the back wall. placing some sound absorbing material behind them improved the detail and overall sound. Of course I must say, the closest side wall is 5 feet away, which works to its favor.
stand mounts are great option for small rooms, but I never felt they had the full bodied sound as floor standers. why not suggest some alternate option to the OP.

Hi, i myself being a beginner, the room dimensions are mentioned as 12'wx18' with assuming 12' is where you are going to place the FS, for a descent sounstage and imaging, you may need atmost 8' between the speakers which leaves you with 2' on either side of the speakers. Then the length is 18', so pushing the speaker 2-3' in front will still leave you with 15 fit of listening distance. Considering the normal thumb rule of equilateral triangle, you will still have lots of space behind the listening position. (may be 4' still - hope my maths is correct)

This, i am basing it on an open room, i am not sure what are objects in between like doors, openings etc., but, i strongly feel this is good enough room to do some re-arrangements of existing stuff and still place the speakers as desired.

all the very best.

swami

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your prompt responses.
I got an audition of the KEF iq7 floorstanding speakers (3 way speakers) and the Focal 807v bookshelf speakers (2 way speakers) at my residence.
I had kept either speaker only 6 inches from the wall (initially with the kef speakers more than a feet from the wall).
I chose KEF and I quite liked it. I have not yet faced any problems. I shall try to make more space in the room (currently clustered) and experiment moving the speakers forward.
The dealer clarified that since the speakers had front ports it will not afffect even if kept near the wall.
The clarity is quite clear. The Focals sounded like coming from "speakers" and it was definitely lacking the finer bits/ sharpness, punch?. I had auditioned the Focals with the kef i30 at the ProFX showroom and had found Focals to be much better.
We tested with carnatic instrumental, hindi film songs.
Even my wife decided on the KEF within 10 minutes of hearing various songs/ music, though she doesnt like floorspace speakers as they occupy quite a bit of space.
I intend to get the kef iq 6c (or 60c) 3way centre speakers and the polk FxiA4 surround speakers in a day or two, then the subwoofer PSW 500 (am told it is currently not in stock). I however shall take a demo of PSW 110.
Let me know if I am going in to the right direction.
I listen to hindi film songs, carnatic musical, (carnatic vocal to small extent) and tamil movie songs (A R Rehman types).;)

Shanks

Hi, i myself being a beginner, the room dimensions are mentioned as 12'wx18' with assuming 12' is where you are going to place the FS, for a descent sounstage and imaging, you may need atmost 8' between the speakers which leaves you with 2' on either side of the speakers. Then the length is 18', so pushing the speaker 2-3' in front will still leave you with 15 fit of listening distance. Considering the normal thumb rule of equilateral triangle, you will still have lots of space behind the listening position. (may be 4' still - hope my maths is correct)

This, i am basing it on an open room, i am not sure what are objects in between like doors, openings etc., but, i strongly feel this is good enough room to do some re-arrangements of existing stuff and still place the speakers as desired.

all the very best.

swami

Thanks Swami,
The room is not so open, quite clustered but intend to make it more open and have minimal things in the room. The problem in keeping the speaker in front by 3' is that it blocks the enterance to the house from the main door, hence need to push it to the wall. When seated on my chair, it does give me 3-4' distance to the rear side of the wall which has a sliding window.
When seated on the sofa, it gives only one ft. from the back wall.
I need to experiment finer details moving to and fro also.
Regards
Shanks

Shanks, good luck on your purchase and experiments. Enjoy your music and keep us posted on the performance of the speakers.

swami

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back