Focal Chora 826 or Aria 926/936?

As one of the FMs said you must consider Focal Electra 1038. Seriously great all rounder.
For customs from my experience please make sure you get the original packing removed and get them repacked. Then of course you will be subject to the discretion of the customs officer.

Hi All,

As you may know,
Background :
Focal consists of various ranges of speakers ranging from Chorus<Aria<Kanta etc listed in the ascending order of cost range and features. Under each range, there are multiple models of speakers. Recently they launched a range called Chora in 2020 replacing the earlier Chorus series.
The Focals are a great choice indeed, if someone is shifting from France.
In Chora range, I’m specifically looking at Chora 826. In Aria range, there are no recent launches but I’m specially comparing the Chora speakers with Aria 926 and 936.
I have heard a couple of them, and can tell you that the house sound is not different at all between the Chorus, Chora and Aria. Maybe, the Aria 926 which i listened to had better bass than the smaller chorus I listened to back to back in an audition. But it could be my memory playing tricks.
Question: As of today, which is a better buy? Chora 826 or Aria 926?
Note: Chora 826 is priced higher than Aria 926 and hence the confusion.
But since your question is about similar sized woofers, eyes closed, pick the older Aria (926) provided you know the house sound.
It just is not worth picking up a new model that you have not heard. Better to go with the older model you have not heard, if that is the case.
A friend is relocating from a Paris - Hence he’ll be getting the same to India. As relocation is taken care by his company, I will not require to pay any additional duty charges. Kindly let me know your thoughts.
Please do read the rules, and what FMs have had to say in the thread.

All said, if your room has between 15-18 feet length enclosed, either pair is good enough, go for the trusted, older one.

If your room is 12-15 feet length open, then too, they both work, but you could punt on the younger Chora.

All the best

PS: You'll need a sub, irrespective.

Sensitivity wise they are quiet similar, however I found the below observations specific to the Gold 300 model
i) Low end compared to Aria 926 is much better , more in quantity and digs deeper too. Aria lower end seemed to shine with specific amps only , the Gold 300 is much more forgiving and you get a decent quantity of bass even with lower power.
ii) Highs on MA Gold are more energetic than the Focal Aria 926 , however this becomes a big plus when paired with the right amplifier. Both my present DIY amps do proper justice to the MA.
iii) Soundstage and detailing is way better than the Focal Aria 926 , this is what I fell in love with when I had auditioned these. Everything can be pinpointed easily and imaging is spot on.
iv) Mids are also good , although I wont rate it as its strongest suite. For 70s/80s bollywood, frank sinatra sort of music these are good but there is a scope to improve on the timbre.

For low volume listening the MA are better than Focal but again they are meant to be driven slightly loud as they are very engaging in nature. The Sonus Faber is what I go to when I want to listen to music while doing my own thing.
Thank You for the comprehesive reply. Given the space limitation i tend to prefer front/bottom ports.

What are the equivalents other brands that are 3way/front ported if possible/90db sen.atleast comparable to Focal Chora 826.
Thanks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back