Components required for Focal Chora 816

shashankhj

Hello good members of this community,

I have recently purchased my first piece of HiFi equipment ever, a pair of used Focal Chora 816s, and was now looking for advice around what all other components and accessories to get. Trying to keep the budget around INR 1L, but ideally around INR 80k would be ideal.

Listening space:
Living room - W 12 feet x L 28 feet x H 10 feet

Speaker Position - TV is wall mounted on one side of the 28 feet wall. The speakers will be on either side of the 7 foot long TV unit. About 2 feet towards the left is a wall to wall glass window/ door, covered with curtains. The right side is open, with the dining table, etc.

Listening Position - about 10 feet from where the TV is where our heads would be on the sofa. Net distance from the speakers to our heads should be around 8-9 feet.

As you might guess, not a lot of space to pull the speakers out, hence the decision to go with the front ported Focal Choras. Was heavily confused between them and the KEF Q550s. The midrange of the KEFs was oh so much better, but the Focals seemed more fun overall.

In terms of usage:
70% movies, 30% music (mix of everything, instrumentals, electronic, pop, Bollywood, etc)

Should be able to invest in a subwoofer and rears/ surrounds in a few years, so not sure about going for an AVR or Stereo set up.

While in the AVR and Stereo debate, I understand that the Focals might be a bit bright at the top, and the mids are not very EQable. So thought warmer components might be a better fit. As I understand, that would probably be Denon or Marantz as far as AVRs go.

Am I on the right track on thinking about this? To summarize the list of questions then:
1. Should I go for an AVR or Stereo setup given additional speakers for home theater are atleast 3-4 years away?
2. What AVR or what Stereo components should I get while staying within an INR 80K-1L budget. Denon X2800H or X3700H is what I had thought about preliminarily, but open to suggestions.
3. Anything else?

I have recently purchased my first piece of HiFi equipment ever, a pair of used Focal Chora 816s, and was now looking for advice around what all other components and accessories to get. Trying to keep the budget around INR 1L, but ideally around INR 80k would be ideal.

Listening space:

Speaker Position - TV is wall mounted on one side of the 28 feet wall. The speakers will be on either side of the 7 foot long TV unit. About 2 feet towards the left is a wall to wall glass window/ door, covered with curtains. The right side is open, with the dining table, etc.

Listening Position - about 10 feet from where the TV is where our heads would be on the sofa. Net distance from the speakers to our heads should be around 8-9 feet.

As you might guess, not a lot of space to pull the speakers out, hence the decision to go with the front ported Focal Choras. Was heavily confused between them and the KEF Q550s. The midrange of the KEFs was oh so much better, but the Focals seemed more fun overall.

In terms of usage:
70% movies, 30% music (mix of everything, instrumentals, electronic, pop, Bollywood, etc)

Should be able to invest in a subwoofer and rears/ surrounds in a few years, so not sure about going for an AVR or Stereo set up.

While in the AVR and Stereo debate, I understand that the Focals might be a bit bright at the top, and the mids are not very EQable. So thought warmer components might be a better fit. As I understand, that would probably be Denon or Marantz as far as AVRs go.

Am I on the right track on thinking about this? To summarize the list of questions then:
1. Should I go for an AVR or Stereo setup given additional speakers for home theater are atleast 3-4 years away?
2. What AVR or what Stereo components should I get while staying within an INR 80K-1L budget. Denon X2800H or X3700H is what I had thought about preliminarily, but open to suggestions.
3. Anything else?
First of all congratulations and secondly a great job on understanding basics of equipments . you have begun well.

Since your usage is mostly Movies, better to get an AVR. Dont worry too much around the Focals they are good in the mids and IMHO hot on the top only if matched with bright sounding amplification and you can always EQ the treble in most decent AVRs.

Get one with streaming capabilities and more 30-40W/channel and you are good to go.

First of all congratulations and secondly a great job on understanding basics of equipments . you have begun well.

Since your usage is mostly Movies, better to get an AVR. Dont worry too much around the Focals they are good in the mids and IMHO hot on the top only if matched with bright sounding amplification and you can always EQ the treble in most decent AVRs.

Get one with streaming capabilities and more 30-40W/channel and you are good to go.
Thank you so much Arj!

Would the Denon X1700H be good enough? The only think I'm assuming is against that is probably not a good enough room correction system (basic Audessey?)

Yes that looks very good. You could go with the AVRS760H and the difference can be put on a Mogami Speaker cable and you are good to go from a Sound quality perspective as the 5 watt power difference means nothing

But then my knowledge of AVRs is severely limited ..am still on a soundbar so other FMS can give you a better direction.

Listening space:

In terms of usage:

3. Anything else?
I would like to suggest to go for AVR as it will be futuristic and will help you to add Surround and Atmos Speakers.
regarding AVR's you if possible then try to look for Marantz.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back