Focal Scala Utopia - anyone?

G401fan

Almost 50% off, for those with deep pockets.

Its a nice deal but looking at Focal situation in India i would stay away. They keep changing distributors every 1-2 years. It has had multiple distributors in the last 5 years. So warranty & service might be an issue. As the current distributor will not honour warranty if its stock from the previous distributor. Its stupid but thats the way it is over here..

Its a nice deal but looking at Focal situation in India i would stay away. They keep changing distributors every 1-2 years. It has had multiple distributors in the last 5 years. So warranty & service might be an issue. As the current distributor will not honour warranty if its stock from the previous distributor. Its stupid but thats the way it is over here..

Yes I was shocked when I heard the same, I know that Focal as a brand might help post numerous escalations but I find it very sad that warranty doesnt transfer over across (as I think brand should ensure it) and secondly the warranty is just 1 year vs the 5 year abroad, even a 3 year warranty would have been a good thing.

While I would agree about changing distributors and warranty, why would you need warranty on speakers? The cabinets etc are non moving parts, just wood and/or other materials. The drivers would typically only suffer thermal/mechanical failure which most companies do not cover. I've rarely seen drivers fail due to manufacturer defects. The crossover might need it. If however they also cover thermal/mechanical failures of the driver by user error then that warranty would be very useful to people.

While I would agree about changing distributors and warranty, why would you need warranty on speakers? The cabinets etc are non moving parts, just wood and/or other materials. The drivers would typically only suffer thermal/mechanical failure which most companies do not cover. I've rarely seen drivers fail due to manufacturer defects. The crossover might need it. If however they also cover thermal/mechanical failures of the driver by user error then that warranty would be very useful to people.

I am not sure on the various terms of warranty but one issue I did face with the Focal is magnetic grill was not holding tight at one corner. I got it replaced under warranty, are driver blowouts (for any reason ) not covered during standard warranty ?

Grills were included in the materials part of my post though I've never heard of someone getting their grills replaced, interesting. My post mentions about if damaged drivers are covered or not. I actually do not know about this for home audio companies but in pro audio it is usually not covered. It would be great for end users if it was. Drivers rarely (if ever) fail due to manufacturer defects. There are typically two modes, thermal (too much power) and mechanical (too much excursion). Some older drivers would rot with age, particularly the surrounds. That is why I posted earlier about if they covered such damage or not. Most consumers don't play that loud so usually don't come into the limits, particularly as the region between 4-10KHz would be too high for comfort for most speakers unless it was tamed.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back