Food for thought for "room-based audiophiles" and that includes me too :-)

Well I am completely in the opposite camp - I can't tolerate headphone or earphone listening for more than 10-15 minutes. However the article definitely speaks the truth. Most of the iPod generation probably has never heard a good pair of stereo speakers. They are not completely to blame though considering what the mainstream brands offer in the name of speakers these days for reasonable money. Compare the sound quality of a 20000 rupee headphone or iem compared to a 20000 rupee speaker. The former will absolutely run circles around the latter in terms of audio quality. Also factor in the issue of stressful work life where 2/3rd of the day for average Joe is spent either slogging in office or commuting in a bus, it is no wonder that the portable camp is winning.

"No, the only "modern" way for contemporarily wired humans to be fully immersed in music is via an intimate connection such as headphone or desktop listening"

maybe I am doing it wrong but with headphones come facebook, google chat, pdfs and maybe p*rn which I guess "complete (for) attention to be focused on things besides the music"

I don't get this multi tasking thing either which IMVHO is a new name for Advancded ADHD :rolleyes:

ciao
gr

While what the article says rings true in terms of the way things are moving, I'd never be able to listen to music and enjoy it the way I do, without being able to listen to it in a room, while sitting in a comfortable chair in the sweet spot. And I have a ways to go before I physically reach the age of 40.

I've tried headphones for a while many moons back, and convinced myself that listening to music that way just isn't for me. It's not the sitting down, or the being connected physically to electronics by a cord, or the restriction of movement. All these can be overcome now. And hey, I'm sitting down in one place when I'm listening to music NOW, in my listening chair, facing my speakers.

I've never much been a background music listener either. I really enjoy music only when I can pay full attention to it. Music in the background is nearly always zoned out when I'm doing something else like cooking, or browsing the 'net or reading. The only "background" music I enjoy, is what I listen to when I'm driving, and even that is not really "background" music, the way I listen to it.

But yes, the way the article described it is the way things will eventually go: Spaces are getting substantially smaller, people are getting so caught up with whatever it is they do in their lives that they rarely get sit-down time to enjoy music in their homes, and people have the option of not needing to even carry their music with them where they go -- it is available via the cloud.

I'm just happy I have a space of my own to listen to music in.

I was thinking more in terms of zones in which modern people live in and interact with each other and this world in which we live in. How they look at entertainment will be influenced by this a lot.

Many of us who grew up with a stereo in a room have pretty much accepted that as the right method. Times are changing and eventually how people want to be entertained will evolve around these changing needs of human evolution.

At some point people will start realizing the quality drop with some of these many fangled modern ways and I am sure the industry will come up ways to solve those problems too.

I hate it when I see stuff like "someone untrained in two-channel room-based listening..."

Nobody ever had to teach me to listen to music! Listening to music is not an elite occupation that only the chosen/trained few can do. One has to train to be a musician, or a sound engineer --- but not to be a listener.

Well I am completely in the opposite camp - I can't tolerate headphone or earphone listening for more than 10-15 minutes. However the article definitely speaks the truth. Most of the iPod generation probably has never heard a good pair of stereo speakers. They are not completely to blame though considering what the mainstream brands offer in the name of speakers these days for reasonable money. Compare the sound quality of a 20000 rupee headphone or iem compared to a 20000 rupee speaker. The former will absolutely run circles around the latter in terms of audio quality. Also factor in the issue of stressful work life where 2/3rd of the day for average Joe is spent either slogging in office or commuting in a bus, it is no wonder that the portable camp is winning.

I am totally in the same boat as reignofchaos :). For me headphones is for music in office and listen to podcast in a tablet.

For serious listening, NOTHING can beat the sound from a pair of real speakers :).

-John.

I agree with you both, but good headphones are almost certainly better than mediocre speakers. One can also get better sound for one's money on 'phones than speakers, by a factor of ten or more.

I'm not trying to say that 'phones can do what speakers can do: in some respects they totally fail at that, and even the crossfeed gadgets don't make up for the sound stage of a real speaker setup --- but, within their limits, headphones can deliver a wonderful and musical experience. One can even forget they are there.

I speak as a recent convert. What began as a necessity that I slightly begrudged has become something that I am enjoying very much :)

Another factor for this would be the pathetic music being made since the last 10-12 years...mind you, I am just 33 but I simply cannot relate to the noise I listen on the FM while driving...
So for such music, iPods and desktop listening is quite ok because there is not much to be heard..just Himesh Reshammiya's idiotic lyrics and stupid background beats which is known as music these days...

Can't blame the current generation on not wasting thier money on good quality equipment when it's of no use to them...

Ah this is one of the interesting thread..
I tried Headphones for a while,Sure that they could give the immense clarity to the music compared to the same costing Stereo set-up.
But Believe me, I cant listen more than say 1 Hour, Feel really lifeless and discomfort.But have seen lot of my friends colleagues keeping Headphones on everything even during the work for them the Music is something which keeps them away from other disturbance but very few listen to music with passion.I have passion only with the personal stereo set-up and max the Headphone fill my journey when am away from my stereo.

We cant blame the recent generation due to the current lifestyle as FM'S Said. But I have received WOW from many Headphone manic's when they listen and look to my stereo-set-up.

Again its about the generation and the reproduction of music been changing. Still i could see people say nothing come close to listening the music via Radio(The radio era should be ended by 90's itself IMHO)

But keep in mind, If you like to see if they really love the music in Headphone, Just disable the next Button on the source,Sure they cannot tolerate. In simple people have adifferent view of music nowadays and might think people who spend on Stereo are fools.

I have faced with one of my friend stated that "You goose you would get a best Headphone for 5000-6000 and 5.1 set-up for 10,000 and why you lavishly spending money for two channel. I dont have answer for him, so Just turned on my Stereo and played Ilayaraja's Music. All his questions got washed away.

Music is passion for some, for some its a "Do not disturb Board" ,For some "Iam one in the crowd etc"

But Headphones would be harming a lot in particular In Ear :) compared to stereo.

I would wait with love to reach my home to listen music at my set-up and sure the headphone cannot fill-in my thirst.

I don't listen on earphones or mobile devices anymore but there was a time when I used to carry my Sony Walkman with me all over the place. I used to walk to school with my headphones on and later on moved "up" to the Sony Discman in college. It was great to be able to carry my music with me and I am not at all surprised to see what's happening today.

A serious music system is way beyond the means of most people let alone kids a few years removed from college. Smart phone and computer audio is the next step for most. I see PC Audio as a very cost effective way to get very nice sound for the money. A decent sound card plus Media Software coupled with a reasonable 2.1 HTiB gives many a chance to experience good sound and movies on a budget. The allure of movies will always ensure that Home Theatre will be the next step.

Getting people into two channel stereo is a matter of exposure. Much to the annoyance of my wife - I always take time to do a "critical listening session" to guests who visit my house. Most politely smile and endure the 3-5 minutes session but occasionally I get the odd soul who "gets it". I sometimes invite people I know who are music lovers and conduct a critical listening workshop where I give people a one page article on what is critical listening. Again this is a hit and miss session where some people always leave thinking what the fuss is all about.

My take away is that there is a small section of people who appreciate music and will instantly connect with the idea of a serious listening setup. For the rest an All in One box is about as far as it needs to go.

there is a small section of people who appreciate music and will instantly connect with the idea of a serious listening setup...

There's a somewhat larger group of music lovers, who just enjoy music without getting into a big deal about how and on what they play it. In a way, they are the lucky ones! :lol:

There's a somewhat larger group of music lovers, who just enjoy music without getting into a big deal about how and on what they play it. In a way, they are the lucky ones! :lol:

That is stating the obvious. The context here I would think is an appreciation for quality ...

Everybody and his mother enjoys chinese fried rice and/or a tandoori. YMMV
But how many have savored Kachampoli or Kalimpong Cheese?

:cool: :cool: :cool:

a pair of midfi headphones are not just cheaper, but also more enjoyable that a mid fi hifi rig as well as a better presentation. there is no doubt here and as long as you can put on a pair of headphones is really great.
on the other hand What one misses in headphones, not matter how good, is the visceral impact that a full range system does.

That is stating the obvious. The context here I would think is an appreciation for quality ...

No, you didn't get my point --- probably I didn't make it very well. Music lovers appreciate quality, they just don't necessarily obsess over the gear they play it on.

I'm on the headphone camp. I use fairly decent headphones (Senn HD650) and an amp; with vinyl as the primary source. I agree that headphones can't match with speakers in terms of impact, soundstage and convenience.

However, for critical listening, especially for down tempo, soft music such as ambient, classical, etc. headphones are great. Hifi headphones are much affordable than speakers and can provide superior sound for less. For example, Senn HD650 and few others are listed in Class A category and they are around $1000 range. Compare that with the speakers in the same category. These are in excess of $40,000.

Furthermore, headphones don't have issues that accompany with setting up room for audio. Headphones provide a near-perfect chamber that sounds like acoustically treated room. There is no bloated, boomy bass with reverb and echoes here.

And, add the convenience of listening to your favourite tracks even in the wee hours without disturbing others.

It was circumstances, not choice, that put me on the head-fi path. I was never a headphone user (except for travel); I disliked headphones!

I never expected that I would get so much use from my 'phones, and certainly not that I would become an enthusiast for this mode of listening!

Sure, give me a bigger house, room to listen, money to buy speakers, then I would probably be listening that way, but I do find that sometimes, even when I have the house to myself and it is not too late for neighbours, I am choosing the headphones.

It's been a big change, but an enjoyable new adventure :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back