Foods sampler

GeorgeO

Managed to sample some interesting stuff while on a recent trip to the US.

Bay Area
Started with a walk through Chinatown and some great dimsum followed another day with outstanding sea food at Swan Oyster Depot, Polk Street,SF. Seafood salad, crab, oyster and clam chowder, along with some locally brewed Anchor Steam draught beer. Its not inexpensive but worth every penny.

The tapas at a tapas place in the Mission area was also excellent-small portions but really tasty stuff.

Manhattan

Chelsea Market with fresh lobster- you select live lobster and get it steamed on the spot.They give you a cracker-something like a pair of pliers to crack the shell, along with special forks that reach right into the cavities to extract every bit of meat. The New England clam chowder here was a bit too creamy.

Bareburger (bareburger.com) with ostrich burger and also sampled some wildboar burger and bison burger. Interesting stuff-the ostrich meat tastes quite neutral, wild boar had a mildly porky flavour.

A side trip to Newport Rhode Island with some excellent raw sea food platter, as well s some more lobster, followed by a visit to a place where we picked up live lobsters weighing 1 kg each and got them steamed and took them to NY.

At Whole Foods in NY we bought a growler( a large sized glass bottle) to take way larger quantities of draught beer- something like a keg.

Among other things, had sashimi, assorted Californian wines,craft beers, froyo ( frozen yogurts), cheese of various shapes and tastes. Sampled French, Thai and Vietnamese food, and also visited a Prohibition era retro style "Speakeasy". Kept off steaks completely.

The range of cuisine in the US esp Manhattan and Bay Area is amazing. Havent sampled yet, hope to in future- Moroccan, Cuban, and maybe a few others. So much to eat, so little time..

Now to start serious dieting and try hard to get rid of some of that newly acquired poundage!

Nice thread, for some reason this did not pop up in the search earlier! Hope you don't mind this thread being used as a 'food-log'...

What an irony of life ........

When you CAN eat .... you DON'T have money!
When you CAN'T eat .... you have lots of money!

:mad::sad:

Good food is one of the things I love about that country! I may have to take quite a few steps (no pun) if I have to enjoy this weakness for a longer time!

hmmm ... then try out the steak joints spread all across all their cities. There is a particular one in Texas (forgeting the name) which would hold the tenderloin in open atmosphere (marinated) for close to 15 days before the ritual grill ... with the animal fat dripping from all side and throwing off fat odoured flames ........ my apologies to no-beef eaters .....

hmmm ... then try out the steak joints spread all across all their cities. There is a particular one in Texas (forgeting the name) which would hold the tenderloin in open atmosphere (marinated) for close to 15 days before the ritual grill ... with the animal fat dripping from all side and throwing off fat odoured flames ........ my apologies to no-beef eaters .....

Oh yeah. I liked The Palm and Ruth's Chris the best. Shula's was too snobby, Morton's was good and I found Outback the cheapest, but not bad at all! I did not try any of the high-end steakhouses, though. I am planning to hit a few mom-and-pop places that are supposed to be pretty good during my next visit. I still dream of the last bone-in ribeye I had with a nice Malbec, man that was good!

...I personally love whatever they serve at The Cheesecake Factory.

I'm sorry but I found the Cheesecake Factory (atleast the couple I went to) quite expensive for the 'pedestrian' food they serve. Loved their bar though...

BTW for local Bangaloreans, Pista House Hyderabad has set up shop serving some really high quality non veg Hyderabadi stuff, it's on Mosque Road, at a shaadi mahal, next door to the Airtel office, opposite Lavazza.

This place has the best Hyderabadi food in Chennai that I know of. Two things about them that does not work for me often is that it is a take-away only place, unless your order is more than Rs.1000 and you have to place your order before 8PM.

Hajeeras Kitchen
#9/6, Indira Gandhi Nagar,
4th Street, Near Bashyam Layout, Guindy, Chennai - 600 032
Landmark : Off Vandikaran Road On Velachery Check Post, Sri Krishna Bakery and Near Ganesh Nagar Auto Stand.
+91-988-495-1899; +91-988-495-6607; +91-996-220-3809
[email protected]

BTW, their Haleem is fantastic!

I was a foodie since childhood and one of the great pleasures of traveling to new places was to sample the local food and beverages. But things have changed in recent times. The attraction of loosing weight and becoming a slimmer and fitter person overrides all urges to binge on food or alcohol. On a recent holiday eating restaurant food was a major downer and my wife and I yearned for the simple recipes which we have fashioned for ourselves when we cook at home.

For the first time in my life I am shunning restaurant food and only eating and really enjoying low cal food cooked at home. We are not dieting by any means. 3 square meals a day! But three square meals in which we have personally selected each ingredient based on freshness, good nutrition and low calories.

Plenty of vegetables. Vey little rice or dal. Fish and prawns cooked with self created coastal, chinese and thai recipes. NO desserts or junk food! Plenty of fruits - apples, pears, plums, peaches, papayas and watermelons. Recently I binged on mangoes for a month and added two kilos :sad:

A couple of single malts on saturdays and abstinence for the rest of the week :)

I have been missing 2 cuisines greatly since moving to hyd. 3 years ago:
1. Mexican
2. Thai
Novotel hotel in Madhapur area has a sorry excuse of a mexican 'Cantina'. Ate some tacos, the shells were ok, but the fillings were terrible. Same with burritos. The worst was a place called little italy in filmanagar area (i know it is italian but it has some mexican dishes) - they served a corn tortilla - and guess what, the tortilla shell was not of corn (could not determine as it was soaked in melted cheese) and the filling had corn kernels in it:lol: - hence corn tortilla stupid!. Needless to say have never been back to either place, though the risotto in little italy was decent and they have a superb view of the park (and they also got their liquor lic. recently). Would appreciate if someone knows a good Mexican joint in hyd.
Secondly what is surprising that though there are daily direct flights to Bangkok, there is no decent Thai place in Hyd. Went to place on top of the VW showroom near filmnagar. I think it was called Isola thai. Man it sucked big time. Ambience and prices were big, and the food tasted so bad, I was not even able to finish a single dish. Why can't we have some medium priced thai places that serve simple dishes like, pad thai, green curry, tom yum soup etc. It should work well even with Indian tastes.
As an OT what is with service charge being added to bills in Hyd. area restaurants. I am ending up paying almost 25% of the cost of the bill in taxes. Just noticed this recently, so I have been cutting back on my tips. Can I dispense with tips entirely if I pay service charge indicated on the bill?
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
sidvee

'Why can't we have some medium priced thai places that serve simple dishes like, pad thai, green curry, tom yum soup etc. It should work well even with Indian tastes.'

I have served home cooked Thai food to guests and some of them seemed to have a severe distaste for coconut milk being added to food. I try to source reasonably authentic ingredients for cooking Chinese, Thai and Italian food at home. But some folks with a conservative or junk food palate seem to require liberal helpings of Heinz tomato ketchup to consume it :)

But some folks with a conservative or junk food palate seem to require liberal helpings of Heinz tomato ketchup to consume it :)

Unfortunately, even the so called fine dining establishments in Hyd. require you to doctor the food with condiments (I usually ask for texas pete or any other hot sauce) to mask their original taste. On the whole trying out different cusines in Hyd. is risky, better to stick to traditional. OTOH Bangalore seems to have a little more authenticity in non traditional culinary dishes and I am sure Delhi and Mumbai have great options as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Yep .... use of coconut milk and lemongrass (many times, together) in Thai cuisine gives a lotta stomach flutters to people used to Indian tastes!

I would rate Bangalore pretty high when it comes to food and beverages, both for the quality and variety. While Chennai on the other hand...

Chennai excels in South Indian NON-VEG fare for sure .......
I freak out on .... kadai (numerous preparations ... curry, masal, fry). A small bird, virtually the size of humming-bird. But, what taste .... Then, an easy availability of spice-laced preparations of rabbit meat, pigeon, beef etc etc. I never touch the usual mutton, chicken, fish ... when in Chennai!

I agree maybe about the variety of south Indian non veg food, but the quality is simply mediocre here. There are very few places here where I do not feel robbed after paying for my meal...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back