Foods sampler

Trust me, I have tried them all. The others you might have tried here, apart from Karaikudi, are Anjappar and Ponnusamy. None of them are what they were and they are not good for the price you pay, atleast for me. And, I have been eating this food for the last 10 years...

sidvee
But some folks with a conservative or junk food palate seem to require liberal helpings of Heinz tomato ketchup to consume it :)

We have been made to believe that's what Chinese is all about by the numerous hotels. So anything different is considered bad i guess.

Kada pakshi is the Malayalam name for Japanese quail that is reared commercially on poultry farms, it lays eggs slightly larger than pigeon eggs that are very often served with alcoholic drinks in Kerala.

@avidyarthy-man you make chennai seem a lot better!!!!!!!!!!!...thanks for the faith in chennai food which we chennaities lost long time back!...though i go non veg meals hoppin/searching
(lol)on sunday afternoons only to find even the lamest place jam packed!...grrrrrrrr

Kada pakshi is the Malayalam name for Japanese quail that is reared commercially on poultry farms, it lays eggs slightly larger than pigeon eggs that are very often served with alcoholic drinks in Kerala.

Kada Pakshi & Thaaraavu (Duck) are my favorites from the numerous kallu kadas around Kottayam. Love the 'kallu kada' (toddy shop) and 'thattu kada'(street food stall) food in Kerala!

@avidyarthy-man you make chennai seem a lot better!!!!!!!!!!!...thanks for the faith in chennai food which we chennaities lost long time back!...though i go non veg meals hoppin/searching
(lol)on sunday afternoons only to find even the lamest place jam packed!...grrrrrrrr

That's exactly how I feel! That's without going into the quality of service!

Well I do most of my cooking at home be it Chinese/Italian/Indian/Thai or continental. Just waiting for time when I can start shop. I see a lot of prospective customers out here :)

Especaily the Karimbamkala family restaurant enroute to Chingavanam,eh? Great karimeen there.

I've got to stop by AV's Puttuhouse near Alleppey on my next trip. I passed by there and dropped in to take a look a few months ago, at around 4PM , too late for a meal, but will correct that sooner rather than later.

Especaily the Karimbamkala family restaurant enroute to Chingavanam,eh? Great karimeen there.

I've got to stop by AV's Puttuhouse near Alleppey on my next trip. I passed by there and dropped in to take a look a few months ago, at around 4PM , too late for a meal, but will correct that sooner rather than later.

Haven't tried that one, but will make sure my friends take me there the next time! The only catch is I'm not a sea-food person...:eek:

We have been made to believe that's what Chinese is all about by the numerous hotels. So anything different is considered bad i guess.

A few years ago I went for a holiday to Beijing and Guilin in South China. The food, both vegetarian and non vegetarian, was an absolute revelation. It was without a doubt the best food I have ever had any where in the world. When I arrived home my wife had cooked some of my favorite North Indian dishes. Normally after a holiday abroad I would have revelled in the familiar smells and tastes of home food. But for a few days after returning from China I could barely swallow the highly over spiced, over greased and overcooked food we consume at home. I think that visit completely changed the way we cook at home. Many stock ingredients went out of the window forever. And we started cooking with lesser ingredients, lesser water and at lesser temperatures for shorter durations. It must be more than four years since I sampled chinese food in China, but honestly I have never ever ordered chinese food in an Indian restaurant again. Quite simply every so called chinese meal I have ever had in India, did not look like, or taste like the food I had in medium priced restaurants in Beijing. In retrospect I feel that all the chinese food I sampled during holidays to various countries in Europe was equally inauthentic.

In a nutshell "when in Rome eat as the romans do". The best food of every region can only be sampled in that region.

A few days of eating in China taught me that food should be always left a little raw. Ingredients should be absolutely fresh and they should retain their sparkle and exuberance even after they have been cooked. This is a lesson which the Chinese and French seem to have learnt better than most of the rest of the world. Most Indian food in comparison is extremely overcooked. While shopping for ingredients in India I have observed that even people who could afford to pay a premium for fresh produce, normally prefers to buy staler stuff merely because it is cheaper. A dish is ultimately the sum total of its ingredients. Good food can only be created from good ingredients, subtle spicing and absolute precision in the amount of fire and water used.

Reminds me of a foodies joke:

The Chinese premier comes to India on a state visit. The Indian delegation enlists the help of the best Chinese chefs in India to prepare the banquets. Every day the Chinese premier compliments the chefs and really digs into his food. While bidding farewell from his aircraft, the Chinese premier pays a final compliment to his hosts: "I just loved the Indian food you served everyday"!

Last edited:
+1 to Ajay Fresh Ingredients, limited oils/spices and stir fry is the key to good Chinese dishes

Kolkata's Chinese joints might get you the authentic 'China meals' that one yearns for in this part of the world. Visit TANGRA there. It was the leather belt which has now shifted out. But there remains the numerous Chinese joints ..... RUN by Chinese families, which have adopted India as their homeland since the early part of the last century.

Kolkata's Chinese joints might get you the authentic 'China meals' that one yearns for in this part of the world. Visit TANGRA there. It was the leather belt which has now shifted out. But there remains the numerous Chinese joints ..... RUN by Chinese families, which have adopted India as their homeland since the early part of the last century.

avidyarthi

I have been to Kolkata's Chinatown with a friend who lives in Kolkata and knows his way around. We went to the most popular restaurants there. Personally I found the food to be very ordinary and very "Indianized". The food they were serving was quite similar to the food served by restaurants in Simla and Chandigarh in the mid 80's, when the first local Chinese families cashed in on the booming market for 'Indo-Chinese" food.

Chinese food tweaked for the Indian palate was partially born out of the experiments and entrepreneurial ability of a restaurateurs like Nelson Wang. In 1983 he opened a restaurant called China Garden in Mumbai and for a while the entire jet set of Mumbai seemed to be dining there. The recipe was something on the lines of - "Fry everything and the Indians will love it!" And it worked like a dream :)

Indian Chinese Food | CNNGo.com

Nelson Wang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back