Footers, isolators, what works, when and why?

Fiftyfifty

Like others, I too have experimented with isolators and footers below my gear. Sometimes spikes work, sometimes roller balls, sometimes cork/rubber combo, sometimes magnetic decouplers and sometimes the resin ones. More often than not, in my setup, no footers is better than any of the above.
I use a good rack which is itself well isolated and has a 3 inch Maplewood top. My equipment is mid-fi.
Is there a science to this? To tell you what, if anything, is likely to contribute to better sound? It's too much of a pain and expensive to experiment.

Cheers!

In my case also no footers is better than anything i have tried under my amps, source. Yes It's too much of a pain and expensive to experiment so no footers for me, a thick wooden shelf and equipment directly on top is the way i have decided to go although i dont have that also for now. Designers and insoide factory i dont think they use any special footers so the equipment sound without any footers that was what it was intended to by the designer. I am happpy.

For science, I am amazed why these thing change sound but dont know reasons.

I also have a feeling that the increased height of the equipment on the shelf can create resonances that affect the sound. I've experienced this in my setup

Yes increased height cause sound changes but its also because of different materials of same height. Why it affects is a question, some say isolation whatever it is i strongly feel that the makers and designers designed and voiced the equipment without any additional isolation, so best way is to go without footers.

In my case i have observed sound changes with placement of laptop also depending on what surface i keep it, its cruel tonour ears we wont know whats the original sound of our gear with so many variables. Same thing happened when i had digione signature.

Also sound changes if i place say a heavy slab on top of my preamp or dac, so i prefer not to keep anything on top just for peace of mind.

Rather than discouraging people to try isolation products and saying they dont matter personally for me i would say i dont have trained ears to judge these products, they do dramatically change the sound signature and i think a trained ear is required to judge them otherwise they can be a cause of frustration for me atleast.

While isolation products do make a differences, i am at this stage even less sure about them than i was earlier :) they are good to tune the sound to what you want to hear but difficult to use to evaluate eg if i were to change a cable, i would these days, prefer to do that with any of these removed and then add the isolation to tune the sound as needed ..makes it very complicated !!

Thought this is relevant to those for whom vibrations matter.

Does it mean audio sounds better for everyone these days

To each his/ her own.

In fact the power supply situation should be better in theory too..

Surely with pollution receding, speed of sound must have been changing for better due to less no. of pollutants, no wonder my system is sounding better these days.

Now..you stretch too much I fear as far as speed of sound goes

:))

Incidentally some ultra exquisite cosmic rays are also able to release some highly positive sounding ions into my room due to good level of atmosphere these days they also are surely helping. It seems while universe is trying to help audiophiles.

just want to share my intention behind the link and the post

when we talk of vibrations et al - there are 2 types broadly -

one which we feel and has an impact on the sound reproduced from the setup

other one which we dont feel but might be constraining the setup in some minute way

BTW - homo sapiens are very limited creatures - our senses do have limits.

i did not intend to be mis-understood for the idea behind it to be twisted and distorted into something else..

Either one is in it it or is a non-believer

If the latter - then - this thread is not for you

But if you have tried anything in the past to relieve your system of vibrations - then you are a believer.

A parallel can be drawn to cables - many non believers have turned believers.

A parallel can also be drawn - to the reduction in ambient noise and with the birds coming back due to lack of human noise.

Vibration and noise do affect.

hope you have a meaningful discussion on this topic..

Best wishes

just want to share my intention behind the link and the post

when we talk of vibrations et al - there are 2 types broadly -

one which we feel and has an impact on the sound reproduced from the setup

other one which we dont feel but might be constraining the setup in some minute way

BTW - homo sapiens are very limited creatures - our senses do have limits.

i did not intend to be mis-understood for the idea behind it to be twisted and distorted into something else..

Either one is in it it or is a non-believer

If the latter - then - this thread is not for you

But if you have tried anything in the past to relieve your system of vibrations - then you are a believer.

A parallel can be drawn to cables - many non believers have turned believers.

A parallel can also be drawn - to the reduction in ambient noise and with the birds coming back due to lack of human noise.

Vibration and noise do affect.

hope you have a meaningful discussion on this topic..

Best wishes

I think i got far too sarcastic with your post link, let me take my words back it was meant for humor only (i do still can feel the cosmic effects :p)

I believe firmly that judging cable effects and other real hardware is way easier than judging isolation effects. Whenever I tried isolation, i felt my system lost balance, and my untrained ears and mind would tell unconciously that this sound is not right, how to make it right is the point to be discussed in this thread.

I think i got far too sarcastic with your post link, let me take my words back it was meant for humor only (i do still can feel the cosmic effects :p)

I believe firmly that judging cable effects and other real hardware is way easier than judging isolation effects. Whenever I tried isolation, i felt my system lost balance, and my untrained ears and mind would tell unconciously that this sound is not right, how to make it right is the point to be discussed in this thread.

No worries @firearm12

Mine was a generic post.

In a high rise I always feel vibration from the floor above me ...Kids Playing with a ball or somebody walking...

and I think it does affect sound in a miniscule way to begin with and slowly it can displace items in a manner in which it begins to affect.

Just today I levelled my TT platter..the spirit level showed a discernible shift from last time though not visible to the naked eye.

Last I checked about 6 months ago...it was level.

I know that other folks in the house stay away from the stereo rig.

Anyways..it's an interesting aspect as it affects the source components the most..the CD lens or the TT cartridge contact with the grooves.

I have no experience with digital sources so I can't comment.

Best,

Check this

Seen this..

They pay high amounts for these Townshends and swear they work miracles...

It's beyond most of us..

:))

But I get your point...it's the concept

BTW - this is what i can afford :) :eek:

divt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back