For DIY HT Speaker set - MDF CNC router cutting place in or near Andheri

What do you intend to do with the Stanley router?
Probably return in and get a 350 W laminate trimmer or Hold on to the Stanley just for the comfort of having more power = 1200 W , but 3 times more expensive as well. The Circular saw and power drill also came in now. So will need to start making the plans and order MDF/PLY,wood glue , screws and nails.

I also need a high power router suitable for 12 mm shank diameter. I have finalized Makita RP2301FC Variable Speed Plunge Router. It has 3 1/4 HP Power. Just imagine what this power packed beast can do.

I also need a high power router suitable for 12 mm shank diameter. I have finalized Makita RP2301FC Variable Speed Plunge Router. It has 3 1/4 HP Power. Just imagine what this power packed beast can do.
Sorry for OT: You are a Makita Guyf for life right ;) . Thats indeed a top of the line beast and Should cost a cool 30 grand. However, it may be an overkill, why not a bit lower priced 12 mm Makita router ?

Can 18mm HDHMR be used for building speakers?

The plan is to use 18mm MDF for my 5.1 HT build but the 6 vendors that I could find in Marol, Sakinaka and Kurla only have 16.5mm or 17mm MDF. One of them had 18mm HDHMR thought. Looking in this area because the MDF CNC router cutting vendor I narrowed down is located in Marol.

Last edited:

The plan is to use 18mm MDF for my 5.1 HT build but the 6 vendors that I could find in Marol, Sakinaka and Kurla only have 16.5mm or 17mm MDF. One of them had 18mm HDHMR thought. Looking in this area because the MDF CNC router cutting vendor I narrowed down is located in Marol.
Most of the MDF or plywood that is sold as 18 mm is less than 18 mm. I took a vernier caliper and measured them at different shops and all of them came short. But whatever the thickness it should not affect your inner dimensions.

I'm guessing the high density MDF should work out well.

You dont need HDHMR considering the difficulty to work with it and the added weight it brings. The shortage in thickness of 1.5mm is not a good enough reason to move to HDF/HDHMR.

The best option would be to use a 'A' grade plywood which is more lighter and stiffer than MDF, how ever, i am not sure about availability.
Decide what is best for your needs based on your build plan. You can glue two panels of MDF for the Sub to mount drivers.

How ever in your case, since you are getting the panels cut with CNC guys, i think you only need to consider the added weight of HDF and no need to worry about difficulty of working with it or the added dust, which will be more than MDF when cutting and routing. You can also get the circles cut and routed with CNC and ask the guys to dry assemble the Box, drill pilot holes so that when you come home, you just need glue and screw. No alignment head ache. Or get the whole Box fitted with Glue as well and take home finished cabinets. A carpenter worth this salt can make the same Box without CNC working out much cheaper for the build.

Ensure that the HDF sheet chosen for the job is without any bends.

Sorry for OT: You are a Makita Guyf for life right ;) . Thats indeed a top of the line beast and Should cost a cool 30 grand. However, it may be an overkill, why not a bit lower priced 12 mm Makita router ?

Yes you can call me Makita Guy, most of my Power tools are "Makita". The Price for this router is about 30K, There is another model "RP1800"which is lower in Price but it don't have variable speed & the power rating is also slight low. When you are dealing with bigger router bits consider the variable speed as its one of safety feature.

Yes you can use HDHMR sheet to make enclosure,I have made many speaker enclosures using HDHMR sheets.

There is another model "RP1800"which is lower in Price but it don't have variable speed & the power rating is also slight low. When you are dealing with bigger router bits consider the variable speed as its one of safety feature.
Opps, I didnt notice that. I took it for granted that a router at 20+K would have the variable speed by default. Just checked that Makita has only one model with variable speed and that is the one you have chosen. Also no other 12 mm collet size router seems to have variable speed available.

@Kevano , can you share more details about your build, like drivers details, cost , purchase location etc?

It's about material. Had not heard of HDHMR till yesterday.
I think it is HDF marine grade(water-resistant.) and it is heavier than normal MDF. It is harder to work with this material. But if you have plan to do it with CNC, it doesn't matter.

@Kevano , can you share more details about your build, like drivers details, cost , purchase location etc?
Yes of course, with pleasure. I intend to make a separate build thread for that. Will send you the link in case you miss it. But just to let you know, this will take a while.

Since its a 5.1 HT project, my thought is that the subwoofer would benefit a bit from the 18mm HDHMR instead of 16.5mm MDF(sold as 18mmMDF). In the over all scheme of things cost wise, I can accommodate the higher priced HDHMR. Total material required is 27-28sqft so hopefully a 8x4ft sheet should do the job. I have the cut out measurements but have not done the math yet if it'll fit on one sheet.

Rs2180 (Rs2080 16.5mmMDF + Rs 100Transport) vs Rs3086 (Rs2686 18mmHDHMR + Rs400Transport)

Should I bit the bullet ?

Edit:
Sealed Subwoofer enclosure internal dimensions are 39.2mm x 39.2mm x 37.2mm and below is the bracing plan.

Attachments

• Green Brace.jpeg
    Green Brace.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Red and Blue Brace.jpeg
    Red and Blue Brace.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Total brace.PNG
    Total brace.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 17
You dont need HDHMR considering the difficulty to work with it and the added weight it brings.
I had the same concern while making my 5.1 speakers and the carpenter guys suggested using Birch Plywood as that weigh considerably less which they said are used by Pro audio guys who lug speakers around. As my requirement was small and was not locally available, I opted for HDF. Since sourcing them in Mumbaai may not be difficult, you may consider Birch Plywood too.

I had the same concern while making my 5.1 speakers and the carpenter guys suggested using Birch Plywood as that weigh considerably less which they said are used by Pro audio guys who lug speakers around. As my requirement was small and was not locally available, I opted for HDF. Since sourcing them in Mumbaai may not be difficult, you may consider Birch Plywood too.
That's True. PA guys ( Quality focussed ) mostly prefer Ply for two reasons - Many times they are in an environment where there is lot of moisture and they need to lug around the speakers. Also plywood is a lot stronger than MDF as well. MDF scores a bit in self damping, but can be solved easily. Btw, i am in Madurai and i sceptical Birch plys will be available here. However, that's my first choice to save weight and breathe healthier. The second choice is normal MDF.

Rs2180 (Rs2080 16.5mmMDF + Rs 100Transport) vs Rs3086 (Rs2686 18mmHDHMR + Rs400Transport)
Sealed Subwoofer enclosure internal dimensions are 39.2mm x 39.2mm x 37.2mm and below is the bracing plan.

Just noticed it, I think the units should be in CMs ! Considering that as Cms, with bracing, the internal volume should be around 53 to 55 Litres, not all drivers can perform optimum in such small enclosure with good LFE and mostly start rolling off from 40 Hz. I am curious about driver you have selected for this.

MDF is more than sufficient. Unless you are bitten by the MDHMR colour and weight :) or planning to use them outdoors.

Just noticed it, I think the units should be in CMs ! Considering that as Cms, with bracing, the internal volume should be around 53 to 55 Litres, not all drivers can perform optimum in such small enclosure with good LFE and mostly start rolling off from 40 Hz. I am curious about driver you have selected for this.
Oh yes it's Cms, thanks for pointing this out. Using Iwai the 12" subwoofer driver. Had seen good reviews on the forum and the freq response graph which was flat upto 22-23Hz in a room close to the size of my room (to account for room gain since I don't have measuring tools yet) posted by FM elangolas sealed the deal.

MDF is more than sufficient. Unless you are bitten by the MDHMR colour and weight :) or planning to use them outdoors.
I realized yesterday that for the brace slots (ref to post#32) to work, as in for the perpendicular brace to slide through the slot and fit snug, I need to know the thickness of the enclosure material as precisely as possible.

Between MDF, HDF and HDHMR, which material has the most precise/uniform thickness ?

Last edited:
Please refer to post#32 for braces design.

Should the slot size/width be the the thickness of the brace being inserted into the slot or should it be slightly undersized for a snug fit. If it should be undersized what should be the size/width to insert a brace 18mm thick.

@Kevano - IWAI 12 should feel ok in that Volume. I have sent email to IWAI 3 to 4 times and they never responded for my inquiry. Just got fed up and left it off. If possible, kindly PM me how you reached them out.

Btw, you need take a careful look in to the brace design. The bracing seems to be excessive for this sub. Its not such a powerful sub and the Box is already small. How ever, extra doesn't hurt.

1. The Green, red and blue braces with that design cannot be put to appear like your total brace picture.
2.Red and Blue cannot be of same cutout pattern. The interface area relief cutout needs to be in opposite sides if you want it to mesh perfectly.

On size + Glue will already make it a very snug fit. Also any rotating tool cannot make perfect 90 degree finishing on the internal side, for example- the slots for brace interface. Check with the CNC guys and ensure that all these are accounted for.
Between MDF, HDF and HDHMR, which material has the most precise/uniform thickness ?
IMHO, all of the above. The concept of manufacturing all these are nearly the same, except the ingredients, pressure & Temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a 1200W 21000RPM fix speed router, what diameter of the bit is a better match for a 2 flute(2 blades) flush trim bit ?

12.7mm or 9.52mm

Will it be able to handle 38mm cutting length to trim 2-3mm of MDF ?

@Kevano - IWAI 12 should feel ok in that Volume. I have sent email to IWAI 3 to 4 times and they never responded for my inquiry. Just got fed up and left it off. If possible, kindly PM me how you reached them out.
FM @Ravindra Desai gave me this email address - <[email protected]>
These are the rates they gave me
1 10" Subwoofer Dual Magnet 4Ω/150W Rs 3115
2 10" Subwoofer Triple Magnet, Shorting Ring 4Ω/200W Rs 4744
3 12" Subwoofer Dual Magnet 4Ω/150W Rs 4390
4 12" Subwoofer Triple Magnet, Shorting Ring 4Ω/200W Rs 5664

1. The Green, red and blue braces with that design cannot be put to appear like your total brace picture.
2.Red and Blue cannot be of same cutout pattern. The interface area relief cutout needs to be in opposite sides if you want it to mesh perfectly.
Yes your right, red and blue cannot be of same cut out pattern. I just drew one diagram since the other one would have minor modification and that would finally be done on Autocad at the CNC place.

<[email protected]>
These are the rates they gave me
1 10" Subwoofer Dual Magnet 4Ω/150W Rs 3115
2 10" Subwoofer Triple Magnet, Shorting Ring 4Ω/200W Rs 4744
3 12" Subwoofer Dual Magnet 4Ω/150W Rs 4390
4 12" Subwoofer Triple Magnet, Shorting Ring 4Ω/200W Rs 5664
I had emailed to the same ID a couple of times 3 months back and no response.

For a 1200W 21000RPM fix speed router, what diameter of the bit is a better match for a 2 flute(2 blades) flush trim bit ?

12.7mm or 9.52mm

Will it be able to handle 38mm cutting length to trim 2-3mm of MDF ?
Get the bigger shank which fits your router and you wont need to keep changing collets. How ever, both can take care of your requirement.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back