"For most of SD content" 32" or 40" LED?

slash1814

Dear All,

Vacillating between 32" or 40". Inclined towards 32" for following reasons:

1. My colection includes pop/rock concert DVD's, I have a phillips 32" LED (Full HD), needless to say, pic. quality suffers a lot when I play these dvds.
Tried U2, Queen,Eric Clapton, Santana, Michael Jackson..results with LED 32" were just acceptable, I feel 40" wont do justice to them.

Old Hindi comedy classics, wonder how wud they look on 40".

My movie / music ratio is 50/50.

2. Tata Sky DTH (HD), can not have any other provider (direction issue), TS hangs with 11 HD channels.

3. My wall unit (pure MDF) costed 6.5 k in 2006, can not accomodate 40" tv, (it can take a 32" tv), Now I have my Polk HT speakers too. Similar wall unit one costs 27.5 K, today, if I go for 40" tv.

Should I go for best quality 32" like new model from Sony W-670-A for 42K ? or Budget TVs like Toshiba / Phillips etc.
Other wise I can look for Sony EX-650 for 40", for 62K @ the sacrifice of SD picture quality + Wall Unit cost (27K)

Pls. Suggest.

Try & have that wall unit modified if you can. Shouldn't be too difficult if you have a good carpenter. As oft quoted here, bigger the better. Also I've seen a lot of EX650's (40") going on ebay for approx 48k now.
These are mostly brought down from Bkk, Dubai etc & sold here I guess.

Btw I do own one too (got it from Bkk myself for approx 40k) & why do you think SD quality suffers, have had no such problems.

Only problem I see is the wall unit which is going to be you're call to make :)

Dear All,

Vacillating between 32" or 40". Inclined towards 32" for following reasons:

1. My colection includes pop/rock concert DVD's, I have a phillips 32" LED (Full HD), needless to say, pic. quality suffers a lot when I play these dvds.
Tried U2, Queen,Eric Clapton, Santana, Michael Jackson..results with LED 32" were just acceptable, I feel 40" wont do justice to them.

Old Hindi comedy classics, wonder how wud they look on 40".

My movie / music ratio is 50/50.
Are these original DVDs or rips? How are you playing them - via DVD Player or Media player? If these are original DVDs, I suggest that you buy a BDP player (preferably region free) or at least an upconverting DVD player. Connect via HDMI. I have a huge collection of DVDs (over 220) and I play them using my BDP. The upconversion is excellent and my 50" shows very little artifacts. 32" should show very little to zero artifacts if played that way. If the content is DVD rips and further scaled down (compressed) then the problem is with the source. In any case an upconverting media player and connecting via HDMI should reduce the problem to an extent. I have some XVid content and when played via BDP, it is also upconverted but I can make out artifacts. There is nothing much I can do about it.

2. Tata Sky DTH (HD), can not have any other provider (direction issue), TS hangs with 11 HD channels.
No comment.

3. My wall unit (pure MDF) costed 6.5 k in 2006, can not accomodate 40" tv, (it can take a 32" tv), Now I have my Polk HT speakers too. Similar wall unit one costs 27.5 K, today, if I go for 40" tv.

Should I go for best quality 32" like new model from Sony W-670-A for 42K ? or Budget TVs like Toshiba / Phillips etc.
Other wise I can look for Sony EX-650 for 40", for 62K @ the sacrifice of SD picture quality + Wall Unit cost (27K)

Pls. Suggest.
32" 16:9 TV is no bigger than a 29" 4:3 TV - viewing area wise. You should alter or get rid of wall unit, if possible. There is no point buying a costly 32" TV, IMHO. As I have said on many 32" TV threads, at that size stick to CCFL-LCD HD-Ready. At a viewing distance of 8 feet (the most common and average viewing distance), full HD will not make any difference and since most of your viewing is restricted to SD, the 720p native panel is much closer to SD (576i). So there is less need of scaling up. Think of full-HD for 40" and above sizes only. When I was demoing for my 50" TV, the 50" HD-Ready plasma was just as good as 50" FHD when viewing TataSky (SD and HD) at a distance of 8-10 feet.

Go for 40" TV. I have Sony 40HX750 and at a viewing distance of 12 feet, the SD looks very good.

@just4kicks:: These are original dvds and i am using phillips bdp 2600. It upscales to 1080p at 50/60 hz by default.

@just4kicks:: These are original dvds and i am using phillips bdp 2600. It upscales to 1080p at 50/60 hz by default.

Then there is something somewhere that is not right. I get excellent quality from DVDs (as much as they can produce) and the PQ is at par with Tatasky HD (1080i). BDs are even better.

original dvds play really good even without upscaling..
in a 40 inch...even.
not getting clue why this happening to you.

anyway seeing your situation..yes 40 inch is best as one time investment.but at the same time you are having some placement problem..
cant you just keep the tv in a plain wooden table maybe 700 rs..
well think about it and decide.
best of luck

Have a look at philips 32 inch 6357 full hd led model.The PQ in both SD and HD is very good.But need a little bit calibration .Take a demo before you decide to buy it.Costs around 27k

Then there is something somewhere that is not right. I get excellent quality from DVDs (as much as they can produce) and the PQ is at par with Tatasky HD (1080i). BDs are even better.

Agree with just4kix. Think about it, i watch original DVDs on a 120" screen from a distance of 12 feet and they look absolutely great. Many times, especially on newer DVDs (3 idiots, Talaash and many Hollywood movies) i can barely notice difference between DVDs and blu rays. I use Lg blu ray player bdp 670 to spin these dvds. So get the biggest TV you can afford.

Thanks all FMs, I got Sony EX-650 (40"). SD quality is acceptable. I was disappointed to see overall pic. quality of new model W-650-A (42").

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back